Getting caught for photography, by Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
madmacs said:
hahaha...i was just kidding. so far i shoot a few times at esplanade never get chased away.. even in the early hours of dawn :p

Not everyone as lucky as you sir. :nono: ;) :sweat:

For one thing, I never got chased away. Also rarely shoot there. Heh.:sweat:

madmacs said:
good idea...

er..redstone, can send us copies (with your personal info removed)? :p

cannot, must be the original message, unedited, untempered
otherwise, they will question the authenticity

heehee

I noticed the caveat at the end, "However, buildings which are gazetted as Prohibited or Protected have restrictions on photography."

redstone, will it be possible for you to ask if a list of buildings gazetted as prohibited/protected is available? Or how may we identify such a building?

I guess behaviour plays a very important role too.

Sneaky actions and suspicious movement will always attract attention.

LazerLordz said:
I guess behaviour plays a very important role too.

Sneaky actions and suspicious movement will always attract attention.

think the problem is over zealous and kiasu security guards

i am sure no photographer will act sneakily

grumpy said:
think the problem is over zealous and kiasu security guards

i am sure no photographer will act sneakily

Some guards, if they are eccentric, will see anyone as a trophy for them.:bsmilie:

LazerLordz said:
Some guards, if they are eccentric, will see anyone as a trophy for them.:bsmilie:

maybe can offer TFCD to them as a sweetener
wahahaa (go home, delete the photos)

that time the guard at esplanade chase me down coz i standing on a wall to take photos... then i very angry... took a photo of him when i am inside the foyer... heheh

take photo must find a good angle ma... somemore the wall nv hv sign saying cannot stand..

yokechye said:
that time the guard at esplanade chase me down coz i standing on a wall to take photos... then i very angry... took a photo of him when i am inside the foyer... heheh

take photo must find a good angle ma... somemore the wall nv hv sign saying cannot stand..

If it's a wall in public property, he can't stop you.

For those who missed out, the Police replied.

redstone said:
Official Reply by Singapore Police Force.
Complete with reference numbers:

"Any agreement is between the person and the owners of the building, whose
security guards act as their agents. As it is a private premises, they can
impose conditions, which have to be complied. Taking photographs of a
private building outside the private premises is NOT a criminal offence.

However, buildings which are gazetted as Prohibited or Protected have
restrictions on photography
."

Thank you and best regards.

Paul Tan
for Quality Service Manager
Singapore Police Force

ping said:
I noticed the caveat at the end, "However, buildings which are gazetted as Prohibited or Protected have restrictions on photography."

redstone, will it be possible for you to ask if a list of buildings gazetted as prohibited/protected is available? Or how may we identify such a building?

I suppose things like military and security relaed installations, embassies... :think:

redstone said:
I suppose things like military and security relaed installations, embassies... :think:

Wah so uncomfortable to take a shot nowdays. Will be thinking more of police, guards, etc,etc... than taking photograph. Suggest they place BIG BIG BILLBOARDS to inform us that no photo/video allowed in their buildings/places which they think sensitive.

Usually there r red signboards with white wording stating it's a protected place.
but that does not means u cant take pics.Istana's open house allows photo taking.u r just not allowed to take pic when inside the main building.And Changing of Guard is allowed too.

Best is to ask 1st b4 taking pics of sensitive locations.

redstone said:
So we can all stand in one line outside Esplanade, with our biggest DSLRs, biggest lens, heaviest tripod, biggest camera bags, biggest flash (laymen presume biggest is best? ;) ). Shoot in burst mode in front of the guard. :devil:
:thumbsup: I'm up to be part of the line. Must be a very spectacular sight!
About the flash portion... hope the guards won't think they are like mega stars being photographed...:nono:

hASHbrown_kopitiam said:
:thumbsup: I'm up to be part of the line. Must be a very spectacular sight!
About the flash portion... hope the guards won't think they are like mega stars being photographed...:nono:
bring hammerhead flashes and flash extenders!:thumbsup:

Sion said:
It goes something like this:

To all guardians and protectors of security of public and private buildings,

I, the supreme governor of visual betterment of all lands, request all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to shoot freely without let or hindrance and to afford him or her the best photographic vantage point and the peace he or she needs to compose his or her shots or to use his or her camera on a tripod if lighting conditions warrant it.

Signature

Good luck!

Good statement, very professional... are you a lawyer in practice?

knpan said:
illegal gathering will happen only if i think a big group is in a secluded spot, or a suspicious place. they wont suspect if they see a big group of photographers with big cameras.

Its always safety in numbers.

Actually, they can only suspect you to be terrorist but they cannot do anything to you unless they have sufficent evidence or prove. Therefore, I think we have the rights not to delete our pictures. The most is take down names but we should be able to continue shooting..:) .

blive said:
Well, I checked with my friends from PUB reservoir management. Sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at Pandan reservoir. In the past, the reservoirs were restricted and public access is limited, as they were considered key resources ( well, we don;t have any natural resources.Recently, the reservoirs have been open for public use to the extend of using the water bodies for water activities, which in the past was not allowed.We are most welcome to take photographs in the reservoirs. The only restriction is not to photograph PUB installations, which are considered as high security installations in Singapore. That's why we now have security guards at such key installations.

If you need further clarification, you are free to call the PUB-One, PUB customer service hotline or visit the PUB website, http://www.pub.gov.sg.

Thanks.

Few reservoirs are now open for water activities and soon there will be more... so let's not get too upset...:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.