FZ20 Battery grip!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went to MS color about 8.30pm like that. I just asked saying I heard the BP-200 going for $10 then the guy said ya. Think it's still available if u guys go down tomorrow. :think:

Anyways, I was thinking, the BP-200 has got the AA-size thingy to slot into the EOS 300. So if u wanna use it for the FZ-20, do u saw that part off or is it just at the side? The picture above looks like it's just on the side.

donchua said:
But it using 4 X AA, so only 6V, can power up FZ10/20?

Also have the same query in mind... :think:

karnage said:
Just went to MS color about 8.30pm like that. I just asked saying I heard the BP-200 going for $10 then the guy said ya. Think it's still available if u guys go down tomorrow. :think:

Anyways, I was thinking, the BP-200 has got the AA-size thingy to slot into the EOS 300. So if u wanna use it for the FZ-20, do u saw that part off or is it just at the side? The picture above looks like it's just on the side.

Also have the same query in mind... :think:

The pic here you saw is the door cover open up on FZ20.
Go to the stevesforums link on the 1st post and you can see better.
The AA-size tingy was removed.

donchua said:
But it using 4 X AA, so only 6V, can power up FZ10/20?
If using rechargeable batt only 4.8V..

Well, actually I had DIY a external battery pack base on the FAQ HERE
Using 7 pcs NiMh AA batts and they gave me 9V plus on Volt meter.
Tried on my FZ10 and ok.
I removed 3 pcs left 4pcs, join the 3 empty slot, and my FZ10 still boot up and
taken a few shots but don't know how long will it last.. :think:

A silly question, with the battery grip, are you actually running off the battery in the grip, or that in the camera?

I suppose with a battery grip, you're running off that in the grip whereas the camera one will not be used until the grip one cannot support enough juice.

But donchua, 6pcs of NiMH is already 7.2V so can already right? What is the output voltage from the Panasonic AC adaptor? Also, did u arrange the batteries in series or parallel? If series, is the total mAh = 7 x 2500mAh (assuming you're using 2500mAh la) or still only 2500mAh?

karnage said:
I suppose with a battery grip, you're running off that in the grip whereas the camera one will not be used until the grip one cannot support enough juice.

But donchua, 6pcs of NiMH is already 7.2V so can already right? What is the output voltage from the Panasonic AC adaptor? Also, did u arrange the batteries in series or parallel? If series, is the total mAh = 7 x 2500mAh (assuming you're using 2500mAh la) or still only 2500mAh?

Do you own a Lumix FZ cam?
The base of the Pana Ac adapter stated output 8.4V which also stated on
the link I posted.
It did stated the cam adapter will filter off the 8.4v to 7.2V.
The batt are in serial, the batt case are those that selling at SLT.
Below are the extraction form the link..

The FZ10 external power jack is spec'd at 8.4 volts, not the 7.2 volt rating of the internal battery.

According to Panasonic, the difference is due to the internal voltage regulation & filtering within the FZ10, which would be needed when plugged to a less than ideal AC adapter/DC conversion. Of course the circuitry would not be needed if one only used a true DC external power source, but that's unrealistic.

Therefore, anyone constructing an external AA battery supply should plan on using seven (7) NiMh rechargables to attain the correct voltage.

In the United States, Radio Shack has all the necessary parts -- AA battery holders for 2 or 4 batteries, as well as the wire and 4.7/1.7mm tip needed for construction.

On mine, I glued two 4-AA holders together and wired them in series. I added a 4 foot 2 conductor cable with the proper 4.7/1.7mm tip. I used a "dummy" battery to jumper the 8th battery position, so only 7 positions are active.

The whole thing fits nicely in a small/old camera belt pack, with space for extra memory and...another battery kit for {my} Vivitar 283 flash.

Will the FZ10 operate on an external 7.2v source? Yes, for a while, maybe. I also rigged an Remote Control Hobbiest 7.2v NiCad battery pack up to my FZ10, and it did work, but possibly due to the initial over-voltage on the NiCads due to a fresh charge. I have not compared a 7.2v 2000mAh NiCad pack to the 8.4v 1800mAh NiMh AA pack to see where the NiCad voltage drop-off cuts the FZ10 off. I actually have a mix of 1800-2300 mAh rechargables, and I do not worry about mixing them.

As always, be sure you have correct polarity on the external power tip before plugging in your FZ10.

Yup, have the FZ20, as many others here do. *yay*

The link u have said for the FZ10 so I wasn't sure if it applies to FZ20. If that's the case, I guess I might need a 8-pack holder too to make one.

I just went SLT just now but they don't have "just nice" kind of casing for the battery holders. They have oversized ones that leave lots of space for the batteries to move around. Makes me tempted to get a $10 BP-200 & modify lor...

Just get the case for 4 & 2 batt & glue together.

Anyone successfully made one so far? Still thinking if I shld get one to try hehe, should be going down to MScolor tomorrow.

Hi kenshinz, I went MS Color to check out the BP-200. They have 3 left only. But it doesn't look like it can hold 7 or 8 AA batteries. I think I'm gonna make one but will have to wait till I got the time. donchua has one already but he said he haven't tried it on FZ20 yet.

don, when u gonna try man? ;)

karnage said:
Hi kenshinz, I went MS Color to check out the BP-200. They have 3 left only. But it doesn't look like it can hold 7 or 8 AA batteries. I think I'm gonna make one but will have to wait till I got the time. donchua has one already but he said he haven't tried it on FZ20 yet.

don, when u gonna try man? ;)

I just made another 6 pcs Nimh external pack, work well with my FZ20 but
no time to see how long can it last.
Also gotten the BP-200 and still in process of modding it as I short of the
mounting plate between the grip & cam.

Heh, actually I was thinking the other day... the $$ spent on making the grip...I could just buy another battery - might be more cost effective...the gd thing about the grip is I can use AA batteries, and might be nicer to hold, but then, I'm abit lazy to do it, cos my soldering/technical skills not up to standard. :p

kenshinz said:
Heh, actually I was thinking the other day... the $$ spent on making the grip...I could just buy another battery - might be more cost effective...the gd thing about the grip is I can use AA batteries, and might be nicer to hold, but then, I'm abit lazy to do it, cos my soldering/technical skills not up to standard. :p

For me, it is just for the fun of it.
Trying to mod the RS onto the grip too, hopefully can succeed.. ;)

Must learn from you how to do the battery pack during PLUG on sat. Good to have AA battery backup. IMHO haha, all cameras should run on AA batteries

kenshinz said:
Must learn from you how to do the battery pack during PLUG on sat. Good to have AA battery backup. IMHO haha, all cameras should run on AA batteries

If you talking about the 6 nimh type, I can show you during PLUG.

Yup, thanks alot :)

Ok, managed to mod the BP-200 shutter button to work on my FZ20.. :cool:
Will be doing the battery section next... :D
Just need to find a adapter plate... :(

Ya, I'm also doing 1 for fun & also because it can use AA when I run out of original juice...

Don, u using 6 NiMH=7.2V, which is the exact voltage right? Mind telling us how long it'll last when you've sort of tested it? Then I can decide on whether to make a 6 or 7 battery one... ;)

karnage said:
Ya, I'm also doing 1 for fun & also because it can use AA when I run out of original juice...

Don, u using 6 NiMH=7.2V, which is the exact voltage right? Mind telling us how long it'll last when you've sort of tested it? Then I can decide on whether to make a 6 or 7 battery one... ;)

I just made but never test as no time.
It will need to take hunderd of pics...

Just a thought, how about using those gumstick batteries in the battery grip? They have the same voltage as the AAs, and are slim enough you can stack a few inside without any problems. 1400mah ain't that bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.