Fungus - Something To Ponder About

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok im so panicky right now.

Don't kanjiong... If your lens collection isn't big, I actually didn't think you needed to get the drybox and thirsty hippo. Just use it regularly will do... Some people say that regular use will expose the lens to strong sunlight which would kill the fungus. Don't know how true that is, but my dry cabinet has been down for like a year or so... my lenses are all ok. *shrugs*

Just save up enough for a digitally controlled dry cabinet: saves you the hassle, saves you the worry, and saves you some space by packing your equipment all nicely inside. =)

k i placed my system in an airtight box + 2 thirsty hippor packs and one silica gel how can?

Be careful with that thirsty hippo stuffs. The accumulated humidity is collected in the container. It it leaks you'll have a disaster in your dry box. One small hippo should be enough, but I second .Hack's advice of controlling what goes on inside the box.
The current nice weather invites for extensive walk-abouts with the camera. Use your camera and worry less. Fungus can't stand sunlight ;)

When putting lense with fungus together with new lense in the same dry cabinet, will the new one get infected :dunno:?

Cheers,
Ben

another question here. if there is fungus within the lens elements, could those be removed?

i mean, it is a big waste to throw away a fungus-infested lens. :dunno:

Use a flash gun to flash repeately at the fungus to "inactive" it first.. put it in a dry box and sent to the maker service center to ask for a quote.. fungus can be remove but depend on the seriousness of the infection. The fungus could have rooted itself on the lens coating.

another question here. if there is fungus within the lens elements, could those be removed?

i mean, it is a big waste to throw away a fungus-infested lens. :dunno:

That depends on how serious the fungus infection is.
If the fungus has already 'eaten' into the coating, then its probably not worth it.
If its just a tiny infection, just bring down to any camera workshops or respective service centres to ask for a quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.