From My Hanoi Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is another good tip from a seasoned travel-photog .... vertical poles generally indicate str horizon!

not very seasoned. everytime have to adapt a lot.

I darkened the picture and add a layer mask over the subject to bring her out (you noticed the halo cos I did not use a smaller brush) ..... perhaps darkened the surrounding a bit too much.

Here is the picture w/o the darkening, just auto levels, USM and added a bit of NR.
#4.
Sapa-IMG_2265-2.jpg

very nice composition. but skin hue for the main girl is a little greyish and halo (not too bad though) around the body of the girl is noted.

pardon me for being naggy or picky. but the girl in the mid background looks very dark, so is the baby - they look very burnt and tarred (which can be uncomfortable to look at for a travel photograph, but can be creative if isolated). the trees in the mid right also are very dark, though luckily the spilled light on the baby's head differentiated the two. however on the right, the end of the hand goes into something very dark too, something that looks like the bottom of a jacket of a moving person - but the relationship of the hand to the other subject can't be delineated.

and this one got a tilt from guestimation, but i think it is a dynamic angle, so i think it is ok. the slight bowing of her body is also appropriate for her action.

I darkened the picture and add a layer mask over the subject to bring her out (you noticed the halo cos I did not use a smaller brush) ..... perhaps darkened the surrounding a bit too much.

Here is the picture w/o the darkening, just auto levels, USM and added a bit of NR.

Sapa-IMG_2265-2.jpg

ic. think you need to learn from some real gurus. i dunno how to use layering, so can only comment on the end result and not the process. but the burnt girl in the right is a serious flaw - must correct. as for the orange color shirt on the right, you can also try to change the hue if you dun want to crop it. as for the face, either you chose to expose for the face during capture and sacrifice the background overexposed or you correct with filters or post processing.

wah .... so humble...

As far as I know, ZOOSSH IS THE TRAVEL-PHOTOG GURU here. For those who dont know it, try a search on his contributions.

And as for me, can only travel more and learn to shoot more better shots ..... & no more burnt girl :bsmilie:

ic. think you need to learn from some real gurus. i dunno how to use layering, so can only comment on the end result and not the process. but the burnt girl in the right is a serious flaw - must correct. as for the orange color shirt on the right, you can also try to change the hue if you dun want to crop it. as for the face, either you chose to expose for the face during capture and sacrifice the background overexposed or you correct with filters or post processing.

GREAT pics!!!! I want to take photos like that too! hha:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: i wish can put more thumbs haha

GREAT pics!!!! I want to take photos like that too! hha:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: i wish can put more thumbs haha

Thanks, but you gotta check out zoossh's threads ..... those are kick-ass shots ... mine are so so only.

Hmong girls in a row:
#5.
Sapa-IMG_2308.jpg

The 2 guys in the backgrd are a bit "burnt" so that they do not distract.
The faces of the girls were a bit under exposed, but then didnt do a good job in brightening up their faces.... gotta revisit this later.

Hmong lady, "buy hats, buy hats ....."
#6.
sapa-IMG_2333.jpg

Right after this shot, I changed to 50mm to attempt a portrait. But like all the others, the moment she realised that they are being photographed, she wouldnt make eye contact. sigh....

Going shopping at the Sapa Sunday Market:
#7.
sapa-IMG_2311.jpg

At the sunday market, the real shoppers were the hill tribes ladies. Some buy with money, some bring their handiworks to barter.

Hmong ladies:
#8.
sapa-IMG_2621.jpg

They followed our trekking group for hours, guiding our feet as we trudged along the uneven slopes of sapa and hoping to sell some of their handiworks.

Our host:
#9.
sapa-IMG_2607.jpg

She cooked for us that previous night and she just served us breakfast of pancakes, honey and hot cafe. Right after I snapped this, the others in my group whipped out thier cams... but she had already ran off!

young vietnamese boy:
#10.
sapa-IMG_2666.jpg

Our guide told me that this boy is well dressed and the red scarf indicated that he was attending a vietnamese school.

Hmong lady:
#11.
sapa-IMG_2692.jpg

This was at a rest point and I just finished another hot cafe. I had already bought something from her but she kept peddling more of the same stuff to me. So I gave her a chocolate & my soap.

small girl carrying a baby:
#12.
sapa-IMG_2670.jpg

Wished I could do more than give her a chocolate. Did not give her money cos its not the right thing to do.

Young girl & her mother:
#14.
sapa-IMG_2693.jpg

at the same rest point as #11. how can anyone resist buying from her? got a small bangle 15000dong (1USD).
just before this snap, to stop her from pushing more the same stuff to me, I gave her soap and her mum (I think thats the woman behind) a pack of travelling toothbrush & colgate.
my trekking group of 6 consists of poles x2, irish, chilean, & malaysian were laughing at me cos I am the typical spore guy ..... always shopping - I bought something from almost everyone of them that approached me. my small bag was bursting - the irish wanted to know I am going to sell the stuff in spore!!

mine are so so only.

not really. the reason why people will put a thumbs up for you is because composition is like a skeletal build up that more people can share an agreement on good and bad, and your shots have shown a consideration to it. exposure, colors, texture and contrast have a greater degree of subjectivity, which is the areas i'm commenting on.

most of your subsequent works dun have serious problems like the burnt figure in the earlier pictures, although some of the shadow area can be controlled better, especially if they merge with the black hair - try to control the interface between the hair and the background or best to avoid the mergence by angling during capture.

another thing that you and also i need to build up on is the skin hue - it can be a style if it is consistent and if it suits the theme. i never dare to challenge a studio or model shooter if they comment on my skin hue judgement because they know better and i know my skin hue isn't the most natural too. i would say so far the best control is on the face of the girl in "small girl carrying a baby". (by the way, sequencing with #no. is easier for reference)

sapa-IMG_2670.jpg

on a separate issue, did you selectively sharpened (USM) part of the background?

It doesn’t matter if it is hilly slop or sea or whatever… in landscape photography, the horizontal line must be straight … this is the 1st and most important thumb of rule… without which… the picture won’t work.

Most important "thumb of rule" huh? :bsmilie: I don't think the horizon is tilted on the picture.

Most important "thumb of rule" huh? :bsmilie: I don't think the horizon is tilted on the picture.

it is indeed a thumb of rule. it is just that i believe the primary horizon line is not seen in the pictures and we can only rely on secondary markers and general sense of perspective, which i believe is alright in this picture.

i'm just wondering if jtnet has seen a primary marker that i can't see so far. if there is a primary marker, then the picture should be corrected to that.

small boy:
#13.
sapa-IMG_2448.jpg

Papa and mama are busy working in the fields?

I like this one most, the subject in focus, and isolated, and the background is uncluttered.
I enjoyed your other children photographs and the #1 of course.

Makes me look forward to visiting Hanoi end of the month, but I'm just seeing the city and Halong Bay area.

It doesn’t matter if it is hilly slop or sea or whatever… in landscape photography, the horizontal line must be straight … this is the 1st and most important thumb of rule… without which… the picture won’t work.

says who?

in this case, it is clear to the viewer immediately that there is no horizon.. it is lost.

can you imagine what would happen to the poor pole and house if you just happily rotate the whole picture anticlockwise

good horizon, bad land. the farmer must be crazy to build his house on the steepest slope in the world, can set guiness world record

Status
Not open for further replies.