For those looking for battery chargers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
in my opinion its not worth paying $35 for it.

When the other version mustafa is selling MW4798 is only $18,

the MW4798N don't worth that much, if mustafa bring it in next time, it could well be the same price or only slightly more.

and 1800ma GP batteries is only $8 or 8.5 for 2 piece in mustafa

Well, it depends on your usage to determine the worthiness of the product. I got the small intelligent charger from the warehouse sale yesterday at $35 too. Compared to the $18 charger you mentioned, it can charge 4 batteries in 2.5 hours instead of 5 hours for the $18 charger. A bonus for me is that it comes with a free in car charging adaptor which is not included in the $18 one. I do travel to M'sia sometimes along with my digicam. During the journey, the time is sufficient for me to get 4 batteries charged in the car.. just nice. If I were to get the $18 one, I would need to get 2 chargers, plus 2 car adaptors (& a splitter adaptor) to do the same thing, which would set me close to $50 - $70??! So, the $35 charger is value for money in my case. If I were to wait, I'm sure as with many products, prices will fall but I need it now. Isnt there always a better and cheaper product tomorrow? :)

that's weird. my MW4798 comes with both the car charger and also DC output. but I didn't get the $18 one.... I paid $24 for mine in SLS :(

$35 for the 2.5 hours one is quite a good deal. Other comparable chargers usually cost more and they don't have the discharge function which is useful for conditioning the batteries.

whether Mustafa brings it in later or not is another matter. of course, the cheaper the better ;p

Originally posted by mpenza
that's weird. my MW4798 comes with both the car charger and also DC output. but I didn't get the $18 one.... I paid $24 for mine in SLS :(

Mine brought from Mustafa, $18 comes with the car charger and DC output also.

You can use it as a charger, or AC adaptor and even the car adaptor to charge the batteries

a little off topic but my trip down to carrefour todae prompted mi ta add this post...

GP 16hr charger + 4 x 1600mah batts : $17.90
GP 16hr charger + 8 x 1600mah batts : $29.90

hahaz... not too bad a bargain if someone wants to get 8 batts... each batt comes down to around $3++ oso... and u get a lousy charger along wif it... bwahahahaz~

if its true, the 4798N deal seems a lousy deal.

Originally posted by fcpga
if its true, the 4798N deal seems a lousy deal.

It depends on whether the GP 1hr charger is timer based or not. Timer based chargers are mostly built to support a fix capacity. i.e. if battery = 1300mah, X amount of current will be able to charge it in 1hr. Auto cut-off is designed to activate at 1hr.

So, if your batteries is more than 1300mah, then you're never going to fully charge the battery. Worse if your battery is under 1300mah, you're definitely going to spoil them in record time. Even worse, if the under capacity battery leaks in your equipment.

With intelligent charger (-ve delta V detection) being fast and so affordable nowadays, there isn't much value in getting a timer-based one. Its a case of getting what you pay for, aka GIGO.

I've seen the Sony charger and that too is timer-based with an additional clause of only charging up to 80% in 1hr. It will take longer to charger to 100% and is only capable of charging 2 batteries at a time. $40 odd dollars.

So far intelligent chargers that is true to their performance are the Rayovac and the compact intelli-charger available from purplemoo.

Pros of Rayovac,
- fast 1hr intelligent charger

Cons of Rayovac,
- expensive at $70 odd
- very heavy to be travel friendly
- charging current may be to high, reducing battery charge cycles (stress)
- batteries very hot to touch after charging

Pros of Compact Intelli-Charger
- very affordable (at $35 to $45)
- very light (travel friendly)

Cons of Compact Intelli-Charger
- 4pcs 1600mah in 2.5hrs.

There are some who bought from the warehouse sales and have written their findings,
http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190981&perpage=15&pagenumber=10

the GP one should be a intelligent

since the 2hr Rapid charger from GP is a intelligent one

I have buy two MW8168GS , they are fine chargers ,very strong 500 mA charging power , smart ones with Tricle and everything .
Costed only 13.75 $US its one .

charger-NIMH.jpg

C-2100UZ can use the 12V dc adaptor come with the 4798N or not ?

2100 use 6V only right?

Where can I get more information on the GP Rapid charger?

syncmaster, the compact intelligent charger is using 800mah charging current.

Originally posted by weeguy
a little off topic but my trip down to carrefour todae prompted mi ta add this post...

GP 16hr charger + 4 x 1600mah batts : $17.90
GP 16hr charger + 8 x 1600mah batts : $29.90

hahaz... not too bad a bargain if someone wants to get 8 batts... each batt comes down to around $3++ oso... and u get a lousy charger along wif it... bwahahahaz~

How much could i sell the charger cos i got one sony one doing the same thing?

I can't find any info on GP Rapid Charger saying it is intelligent. There is a difference between rapid and intelligent and I'm trying to confirm which GP belongs to.

If it is rapid and not intelligent, then it is still a timer-based charger and will inherit the cons of timer-based design such as the Sony 1hr charger.

If it is not intelligent, then, it is expensive for such a charger unless you're more interested in the batteries. Perhaps that's GP way of sweetening the deal - bundle with batteries.

Originally posted by savvy
syncmaster, the compact intelligent charger is using 800mah charging current.

The point is that the 500mA vs 800mA ,looks like a 5 hours charging cycle VS 3.5 hours charging cycle .
Using 1600mA batteries .

Using smaller like 1200mA ,the time becomes less .

Originally posted by savvy

I can't find any info on GP Rapid Charger saying it is intelligent. There is a difference between rapid and intelligent and I'm trying to confirm which GP belongs to.

If it is rapid and not intelligent, then it is still a timer-based charger and will inherit the cons of timer-based design such as the Sony 1hr charger.

If it is not intelligent, then, it is expensive for such a charger unless you're more interested in the batteries. Perhaps that's GP way of sweetening the deal - bundle with batteries.
it is an intelligent charger

wow!! there are so many choices to choose from. im totally bewildered :eek:

im thinking of getting a battery charger and batteries as well. Heard Sanyo batteries good; Gp batts leak... is tat true?? tot of getting de rayovac 1hr charger but aint rily travel friendly.

SO any recommendations? Need something cheap tat charges fast and travel friendly. Gonna use it while i back pack in Europe. Is GP charger good?? Thanks for any help, guys!!!

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.