Food Photographers' Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coffee, and a white cup. Any style, any presentation. ;)

Wanna join?

sure! i'll try to come up something if possible! must be white cup?

White.

Actually it's long past the deadline of Sunday, but some folks are totally tied down with work and such.

Well, I giess more than enough time has passed for everyone to submit their shots, so I'll share my thoughts, which are strictly non-professional.

Please feel free to agree or disagree, and discuss so that we can all learn.

Matters of food styling will not be openly disclosed, and if there are any food styling discussions, we can always discuss them at our meet ups.

AK, what I like about your shot is that it's simple without being clinical.

The choice of gilt-edged crockery might have something to do with it, as well as color tone, which looks almost too warm, or slightly pink. Laptop monitor cannot tell. :sweat:

Weak points would be the positioning of the cup's ear, as well as the frayed fibers on your tee-shirt, and the distracting shadows. Also, look on the further inner edge of the cup: it's reflecting a whole clutter of items in the room you shot in.

One way to address reflections is to build up a 'tent' or rather, use flags so that the reflective areas just mirror the flag.

Good effort on using what you did for the 'coffee'.

As for the shadows at cup and cookie right, what you need to do is use numerous, directional small reflectors. Anything from little pieces of cardboard to mirrors will work. Have to try and find what suits the scene best.

The cookies look YUMMY because you managed to show texture and color, besides shape.

Please feel free to jump in. ;)

My humble shot :)

3261476569_6152917de2.jpg

Props :

(1) Background : my shirt
(2) Coffee - dark soya sauce solution (with a bit of soap solution)
(3) Cookies - Real famous amos cookies

Light source :

(1) Natural light from window : LEFT
(2) Reflector : RIGHT

Camera Settings :

F/4 / ISO 200 / 1/40

Mistaken found :

(1) Black coffee is OOF :(

Likes & dislikes about my shot :

Dislikes : I felt that the shadows are pretty distracting, maybe a large reflector will solve the problem ?

Hi pes!

The first shot look to me to be the best, mainly because you kept it simple.

The others, especailly the heart shape shadow - I can see a lot of thought and effort put into the shot, but sometimes, simple is better, especially when it comes to controlling the different elements in the shot. The more you try to do, the more difficult it becomes, or runs the risk of the shot looking gimmicky.

The main problem with the first shot is that the coffee looks solid black, like ink. 'Black' coffee still needs a very thin 'lip' of dark brown to be visually convincing. Have a look at what AK did with his 'coffee'.

Other than that, placement and backgrounds can be improved. Try using a placemat, or anything really, but do it as a 'shooting set' instead of just placing the object on your study table and shoot.

I see that you're exploring shapes and design elements.

1st shot still gets my vote because despite the totally opaque coffee, the shapes and lighting work for me.

Again, please free to jump in and discuss.

Only one pic being posted?? Thought I am late...

Here are my pics...

1)
Coffee09020405.jpg

2)
Coffee09020402.jpg

3)
Coffee09020387.jpg

4)
Coffee09020364.jpg

5)
Coffee09020329.jpg

Hi Lotus.

Ahhh....the feminine touch!

Thanks for your candidness and honesty!

On the whole, you tried to keep it simple, but by introducing a really huge flower, it now over-shadows the cup of coffee and also introduces a swirl of reflections on the coffee surface.

Lughting is a bit harsh, and causes a hard shadow. What you could try is diffuse the light by using white cloth or tracing paper, and use little reflectors made of cardboard or anything that you can manipulate easily.

Don't worry. Learn slowly, observe and analyse more and practise more and you'll improve! ;)

Again, please feel free to jump in anc comment/discuss.

CHEERS!

a-DSC0272copyhuay1copy.jpg

Props :

(1) Background : my room floor which is ugly tiles..so i wrap my hamper ribbon/flower around it..
(2) Coffee - 3 in 1

Light source :
(1) Natural light from window : Right at 6.30pm sunset..i managed to reach home in time :(
(2) Reflector : I dun have leh.

Camera Settings :
F/5 / ISO 1600 (i know this is wrong) / 1/40

Mistaken found :

(1) I found a hair on the flower...i pp away..

Likes & dislikes about my shot :

Dislikes : I rush to take this pic...i did not plan my time to meet deadline. *hide face*
and erhem... the flower has overpowered the coffee...wrong liao..:sweat:

Likes : though it is not the classy type, i like my flower very much..:lovegrin:

Hi Lotus.

Ahhh....the feminine touch!

Thanks for your candidness and honesty!

On the whole, you tried to keep it simple, but by introducing a really huge flower, it now over-shadows the cup of coffee and also introduces a swirl of reflections on the coffee surface.

Lughting is a bit harsh, and causes a hard shadow. What you could try is diffuse the light by using white cloth or tracing paper, and use little reflectors made of cardboard or anything that you can manipulate easily.

Don't worry. Learn slowly, observe and analyse more and practise more and you'll improve! ;)

Again, please feel free to jump in anc comment/discuss.

CHEERS!

let me try the kopi again..hopefully by next week..:sweatsm:
less candid (i garang gabo intro the flower.. cos no time)..

Also look forward to next theme... very challenging leh..

Thank You Sifu...:bsmilie:

:heart:

let me try the kopi again..hopefully by next week..:sweatsm:
less candid (i garang gabo intro the flower.. cos no time)..

Also look forward to next theme... very challenging leh..

Thank You Sifu...:bsmilie:

:heart:

You're most welcome Lotus ... but I am not sifu leh. I want to learn beside all of you, and together we will go on a journey of discovery and learning. ;)

Hi pes!

The first shot look to me to be the best, mainly because you kept it simple.

The others, especailly the heart shape shadow - I can see a lot of thought and effort put into the shot, but sometimes, simple is better, especially when it comes to controlling the different elements in the shot. The more you try to do, the more difficult it becomes, or runs the risk of the shot looking gimmicky.

The main problem with the first shot is that the coffee looks solid black, like ink. 'Black' coffee still needs a very thin 'lip' of dark brown to be visually convincing. Have a look at what AK did with his 'coffee'.

Other than that, placement and backgrounds can be improved. Try using a placemat, or anything really, but do it as a 'shooting set' instead of just placing the object on your study table and shoot.

I see that you're exploring shapes and design elements.

1st shot still gets my vote because despite the totally opaque coffee, the shapes and lighting work for me.

Again, please free to jump in and discuss.

Yup, I like the first shot most as well :) The coffee is solid cos I converted the pic to monotone. My purpose was not to make coffee the subject but to create a abstract image as a whole. The coffee colour will be like pic no. 2, browhish tint at edge of the black, if it is in colour.

For the rest of the pics I didn't setup as a set cos that is not what I like to shoot, unless it is a paid shoot which the client ask for. I wanted more of a 'candid' feel to them, like the coffee is actually there to be drank. Maybe the feel is not there due to lack of 'human involvement' i.e a pair of hands typing the laptop or someone actually drinking the coffee etc.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Yup, I like the first shot most as well :) The coffee is solid cos I converted the pic to monotone. My purpose was not to make coffee the subject but to create a abstract image as a whole. The coffee colour will be like pic no. 2, browhish tint at edge of the black, if it is in colour.

For the rest of the pics I didn't setup as a set cos that is not what I like to shoot, unless it is a paid shoot which the client ask for. I wanted more of a 'candid' feel to them, like the coffee is actually there to be drank. Maybe the feel is not there due to lack of 'human involvement' i.e a pair of hands typing the laptop or someone actually drinking the coffee etc.

Cheers :)

Ahh...next time let us know about the conversion so that we know why the coffee looks 'solid'.

Interesting approach about the candid or lifestyle approach, and also good observations about needing something more foe it to work. Hmm ... perhaps we could help each other try doing a shoot like that when we finally have a place to shoot!

Well, I giess more than enough time has passed for everyone to submit their shots, so I'll share my thoughts, which are strictly non-professional.

Please feel free to agree or disagree, and discuss so that we can all learn.

Matters of food styling will not be openly disclosed, and if there are any food styling discussions, we can always discuss them at our meet ups.

AK, what I like about your shot is that it's simple without being clinical.

The choice of gilt-edged crockery might have something to do with it, as well as color tone, which looks almost too warm, or slightly pink. Laptop monitor cannot tell. :sweat:

Weak points would be the positioning of the cup's ear, as well as the frayed fibers on your tee-shirt, and the distracting shadows. Also, look on the further inner edge of the cup: it's reflecting a whole clutter of items in the room you shot in.

One way to address reflections is to build up a 'tent' or rather, use flags so that the reflective areas just mirror the flag.

Good effort on using what you did for the 'coffee'.

As for the shadows at cup and cookie right, what you need to do is use numerous, directional small reflectors. Anything from little pieces of cardboard to mirrors will work. Have to try and find what suits the scene best.

The cookies look YUMMY because you managed to show texture and color, besides shape.

Please feel free to jump in. ;)

Thanks bro ! points noted :)

Hey AK, how are you doing?

ALL: Shall we try to do something this Saturday?

Would be great if we could shoot something together. Can be anything, anywhere ... keep it simple.

Anyone has a place to 'offer'?

Hey AK, how are you doing?

ALL: Shall we try to do something this Saturday?

Would be great if we could shoot something together. Can be anything, anywhere ... keep it simple.

Anyone has a place to 'offer'?

Sorry bro, I will be away to Segamat on Saturday to recce a Durian plantation :(
I am working in a travel agent, trips like this is norm for future tour planning :)

I have a suggestion, we can doing an outdoor shoot in a park or by the beach,
The theme : " Picnic "

Some sample shots we might wish to attempt or a simplified version (selection of food might varies) :

food-safety-tips-5.jpg

superstock_1042r-8281.jpg

Credits to the photographers

What do you guys think ? :)

From the logistics POV, a nightmare! :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

hi all, i'm a 2months old amateur.
Some comments needed. Taken with 60mm Macro lens, 500D body.
1) Home made Char Siew Noodles
3857250122_dd51a2cccb.jpg

2)
3855072845_b6372fddbb.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.