flash sync speed in av mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgmx2

Jan 22, 2008
Hi,

i have been using 40d for ard 6months and i have juz gotten myself a 430ex speedlite.
the thing is tt it doesnt sync with my cam while im at av mode. eg, at a relatively dark environment, w/o flash at lets say at f2, the shutter would be ard 0"5 to 1" and with my flash at the same lighting condition and same aperture, the shutter would be the same. I mean the shutter by right should be faster right?? Its the same for my inbuilt flash as well. At the end i have 2 use P mode to shoot which i have no control on the aperture. I have checked my 40d settings and the flashsync speed in av mode is set to auto (theres only auto and 1/250sec). My friend whos using 400d has tried my speedlite and it can sync perfectly in av mode.

pls help and thx in advance.

i have been using 40d for ard 6months and i have juz gotten myself a 430ex speedlite.
the thing is tt it doesnt sync with my cam while im at av mode. eg, at a relatively dark environment, w/o flash at lets say at f2, the shutter would be ard 0"5 to 1" and with my flash at the same lighting condition and same aperture, the shutter would be the same. I mean the shutter by right should be faster right??

You can easily find the answer to your question by reading the fine manual.

Thats how canon flash work in Av Mode. The camera is exposing for ambient and uses the flash to get the fore ground object only. (I think the term used is slow sync mode)

To use the flash as the light source you have to use M mode. But then the backgound will most likely be under expose (at least outdoors).

Thats how canon flash work in Av Mode. The camera is exposing for ambient and uses the flash to get the fore ground object only. (I think the term used is slow sync mode)

To use the flash as the light source you have to use M mode. But then the backgound will most likely be under expose (at least outdoors).

oh ok thx:)

You can either use Manual Mode or you can read in the manual (as LittleWolf mentioned) how to change this behavior into "fast sync" in Av Mode. In addition you can also select "first curtain" and "second curtain" for the slow sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.