Flash photography equipment options

virtualme78

Jul 21, 2010
Singapore
www.capturealifestudio.com
Hi guys,

I want a go at flash photography (manually) for personal use, nothing commercial (mainly product and family portraits) and I am thinking of getting 2 flashes + radio triggers for my Sony A7. I did a little research and Yongnuo's YN-568EX + RF-603 II Trigger sounds like a pretty awesome combo. I have also read somewhere that Yongnuo's [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]YN-568EX will only work for the specific system (Canon or Nikon) or else it will not "wake up" from sleep mode and this problem can be quite a pain in the area.

I am hoping anyone who is using their Sony A7/r for flash photography shares their setup and opinions/experience on whether
[/FONT]Yongnuo's YN-568EX + RF-603 II Trigger is a good combo. Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

I want a go at flash photography (manually) for personal use, nothing commercial (mainly product and family portraits) and I am thinking of getting 2 flashes + radio triggers for my Sony A7. I did a little research and Yongnuo's YN-568EX + RF-603 II Trigger sounds like a pretty awesome combo. I have also read somewhere that Yongnuo's [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]YN-568EX will only work for the specific system (Canon or Nikon) or else it will not "wake up" from sleep mode and this problem can be quite a pain in the area.

I am hoping anyone who is using their Sony A7/r for flash photography shares their setup and opinions/experience on whether
[/FONT]Yongnuo's YN-568EX + RF-603 II Trigger is a good combo. Thanks in advance.

The a7 uses a standard ISO mount so any ios mount trigger will work. The catch is..every trigger you can find will only work in manual mode.
So basicaly you can use a canon or nikon trigger on the a7 and fire any nikon or canon flash...but everything will be manually controlled.
There is not TTL or wireless control of the flash power.

So you're better off just buying a really cheap trigger like a chromax trigger or a cheap yongnuo or anything that is cheap and manual. The whole point is just to trigger the flash. There will be no TTL, no HSS..nothing...

The a7 uses a standard ISO mount so any ios mount trigger will work. The catch is..every trigger you can find will only work in manual mode. So basicaly you can use a canon or nikon trigger on the a7 and fire any nikon or canon flash...but everything will be manually controlled. There is not TTL or wireless control of the flash power. So you're better off just buying a really cheap trigger like a chromax trigger or a cheap yongnuo or anything that is cheap and manual. The whole point is just to trigger the flash. There will be no TTL, no HSS..nothing...

Hey... Thanks very much for the info... Do you have any recommendations?

hehe, i don't think there's anything "good enough"..depends on what you do with it :)
any flash is better than no flash right?
There are more options with lights than you do with cameras of lenses so there's no end to it...
From cheap yongnuos to expensive elinchroms...see what you want lor...

hehe, i don't think there's anything "good enough"..depends on what you do with it :) any flash is better than no flash right? There are more options with lights than you do with cameras of lenses so there's no end to it... From cheap yongnuos to expensive elinchroms...see what you want lor...

Hahah... Ya I know... I have been thinking about the bare bulbs from Godox... But way too expensive for a noob like me

Using a YongNuo YN622C Canon TTL trigger on my a7R as a manual trigger with a Godox 180 for product shoots.

13402195004_2fcc55017a_b.jpg

Is Godox 180 good for portraits? May I know how much you get your Godox 180 for?

Got it quite long ago at about $550 locally, now the price has gone up I think.

You'll need modifiers for it as the light is very harsh if shot bare.

Here's a sample shot through a white umbrella.

Got it quite long ago at about $550 locally, now the price has gone up I think.

You'll need modifiers for it as the light is very harsh if shot bare.

Here's a sample shot through a white umbrella.

Isn't the 360 bigger than the 180?
The 360 is selling for $580 locally...the 180 can't be more expensive ya?

Haha can't remember but I also got the 360 at $580 but my 180 came with a bunch of modifiers.

I used a single flash for my bag shot, you can play around with reflectors.

I got mine at SGcamerastore, I saw them at Ruby Photo also. There was a seller selling the 360 on CS but I don't think she has anymore.

I used a single flash for my bag shot, you can play around with reflectors.

I got mine at SGcamerastore, I saw them at Ruby Photo also. There was a seller selling the 360 on CS but I don't think she has anymore.

I see.. I am now considering getting just 1 first…. I saw a deal overseas that is priced $200 cheaper than local price for the AD180 and comes with 2 modifiers. I wonder if its worth a try.

I only see shops selling $750/$650, may I knw whr u guys found the lower price? THX