Flash or prime?

let's just say that i'll mostly be doing streets. i didn't notice much using 75mm+, so i doubt the 50 1.8 would be of much use to me.
another thing is that my current camera bag can only hold my 2 lenses and my D7k, so a camera bag's in the list too, with an extremely low priority
i intend to be a serious photographer btw.

let's just say that i'll mostly be doing streets. i didn't notice much using 75mm+, so i doubt the 50 1.8 would be of much use to me.
another thing is that my current camera bag can only hold my 2 lenses and my D7k, so a camera bag's in the list too, with an extremely low priority
i intend to be a serious photographer btw.

oh ya so what do you guys think?

:think:If it were my money, I would get the Nikon 35 f1.8G Then also buy 2 second hand Nikon SB28's/26/25 (any manual adjustable flash will do for the second flash) and learn how to use them. Also get a cheap radio trigger set.
Here is one of my boony street kits...Total cost (lens and flashes) about $300 us. http://snakephoto.blogspot.com/2011/01/sometimes-old-stuff-just-works-better.html Camera not included of course!:bsmilie:

Cheers

Last edited:
I face this problem too but it was quite clear to me that I should get 35 f1.8 because I generally shoot in daylight. 50mm is way too far away for me cos if I wanna take full body gotta move super far away.

Just got 35mm f1.8 from Cathay photo, 340$ cash. Called up a lot of the other stores but all no stock. Parisilk said 335 even though like 2 days before they said 321. But both of those days parisilk no stock anw. I really love my new lens, for me it's impossible to shoot dogs and kids without it. It's really a worthwhile buy. I don't even have 55-200 cos I feel I don't need it haha. anw next up saving for sb700!

Oh ya I edited to add that I think the important thing, to be serious about photography, equipment doesn't matter that much. Because I feel that if you force yourself to shoot with 'limited' equipment, for me I really learned a lot about what I'm interested in, what kind of distance I usually shoot at, how to choose my location properly so that my kit lens can handle it. just felt that I learned a lot by taking more pictures and having fun and forcing myself to compose better despite some limitations of kit lens! And I super recommend that you get 35mm f1.8! Because you might choose to use that lens 99% of the time, while flash you might not use as much(imo, in my situation I'm only going to carry it around at night, damn heavy)

Last edited:
Personally I got the 35mm for the better optical quality of the picture.
But if u r satisfied with your kit lens den flash should be the priority to complete the setup u currently own(it's useful for fill in lights to your people snaps).
The free tripod might not be sturdy and time consuming to setup, but in IMHO u should have loads if time to set it up for what it's intended.
Hope it helps

Get 50mm f/1.8 coz its cheap and good. Get flash, at least third party brand like Nissin. You need to invest in good tripod coz it will last for long and you will never regret it.

daineax said:
Oh ya I edited to add that I think the important thing, to be serious about photography, equipment doesn't matter that much. Because I feel that if you force yourself to shoot with 'limited' equipment, for me I really learned a lot about what I'm interested in, what kind of distance I usually shoot at, how to choose my location properly so that my kit lens can handle it. just felt that I learned a lot by taking more pictures and having fun and forcing myself to compose better despite some limitations of kit lens! And I super recommend that you get 35mm f1.8! Because you might choose to use that lens 99% of the time, while flash you might not use as much(imo, in my situation I'm only going to carry it around at night, damn heavy)

Yeap. I scraped through 2 years with a D60, 18-55 and 55-200, while still being the hotshot of my CCA. Honestly, 18-55 and 55-200 isn't a very good combo. You have to keep switching lenses since it's either too wide or too zoomed in. I kinda like the 18-105 though. The range works well, plus it's a kit lens so it's kinda cheap.

Now that I've stepped down from my CCA, I think I'll get a prime instead since I won't be doing much, if not at all, event photography anymore. At least for the few years ahead. Plus this prime's also cheaper than a flash XP it comes with a case right? Coz I gotta protect it well as my camera bag won't fit, so I'll have to use my school bag

This is simple situation. Get the 35mm f1.8 first. Its v hard to get, supplies for it always seem pretty low. It has a great optical quality and its so small it makes ur dslr so portable. U will happily bring along it everywhere u go.

Then buy a third party TTL flash. something like a nissin 622 or an equivalent. Its hundred plus bucks but half the price of an SB700. So if u can manage to get ur hands on a second hand 35,,f1.8 and a third party flash, u have best of both worlds. And trust me, the difference between SB700 and a third party flash is not v great if u dun do studio setups with different groups of strobes. If u use it to be mounted on ur camera as fill flash or use it as a remote strobe its not an issue. Only unless u wanna make use of nikkor CLS, that u need to actuate different groups of strobes.

Personally, this is my buy journey, d90(sold ardy), tammy 17-50, 50mmf1.8 (sold), 35mmf1.8, SB600, D7k. My next buy will be a UWA, maybe a tokina 11-16. Personally i made a mistake getting the 50mmf1.8, but it started off my interest in lens. With the kit lens, i just felt that photography was nothing much as my pictures just didnt coe out well. Upon buying the 50mm f1.8 and palying around w it i learnt how to manage depth of field well. But soon i found the 75mm equivalent a little too tight for me to shoot street, so i moved to 35mm f1.8. Its a really decent lens for DX u will not regret.
Next i bought an SB600, but for 350(the price i paid) i think it is not worth it. I really think a third party will do a decent job. But at the same time, flash photography opens a whole new world of photography which is v v fun.

1) 50mm 1.8 MY first lens after kit, it is cheap and MAXES OUT SENSOR RESOLUTION at f/4. Kind of tight tho
2) Flash. Changes the way you shoot!
3) 35 1.8

Btw what's the price for 35 1.8 now?

Cowseye said:
New piece is abt $330+-

Ouch no price drops. Nvm I'll find out if I use 35 more or 50x1.5 more

Ouch no price drops. Nvm I'll find out if I use 35 more or 50x1.5 more

in case u misunderstand the crop factor thingy between DX n FX, i haf to inform u that focal length does not change. no matter wad lens u use, the crop factor stays at 1.5x as long as u use a DX body due to the smaller sensor size of DX sensor, n focal length stays the same. only field of view changes, that's provided that u upgrade ur camera from DX to FX or vice versa

those lenses specially made for DX are made to target the lower end users in the market since they r cheaper to make, hence the lower n more affordable price compared to FX lenses. the image circle is also smaller to accommodate the smaller DX sensor. so even if u get the 35mm f/1.8g, the field of view u get on a DX body is the same as the field of view of 52.5mm on FX bodies.

as for the 50 f/1.8D, DX bodies benefit from the "sweet spot" advantage since it is made for FX bodies (meaning u will get better border quality with minimal vignetting since the smaller DX sensor only takes images using the center area of the lens, where images appear sharpest.)

for now, fix ur kit lens to either 35mm or 50mm n shoot more to see which focal length will suit u more.

Last edited:
50mm F/1.8 AF-D is by far the cheapest FX AF lens you can get with great results. If you have a semi-pro body, you should get a copy. After trying a few times, I sold my 35mm F/1.8G. It's a keeper.

So which in your opinion has better quality? 50 or 35? I'm talking about the lens elements rather than the focal length

i personally prefer 50mm... coz im using 1... but i dunno about 35mm..

I had both before (now only 50mm) I would say the 50mm if you like taking head with shoulders portrait, while 35mm can do half body portrait easily. Personally I find the bokeh produce by the 50mm D lens nicer than 35mm G lens, but it's a very subjective observation.

does 50mm feels tight at streets? like literally streets