First Impressions of the Fujifilm X-T1 *NEW PHOTOS ADDED*

one more for the road before i go to Chinese Garden...

DSCF1213_zps6848f000.jpg

56mm @ f1.2 and using the EF-X20 for fill. i am so saving for this lens.... :heart::kiss:

Last edited:
Had a short session with Nightwolf75 earlier, some quick impression. AF is significantly faster than Xpro1 (yes, it's old I know, that's my last time I used a Fuji MILC), find the shutter lag is improved alot too. Vs Olympus EP5 AF, it's slightly slower (visible but not far off). Was testing in mid noon, so light was good enough for AF to perform, but I can't comment on night. There's DOF preview on half depress, neat function! Have to agree with nightwolf that the 4 way buttons are little flush and makes it hard to depress it.
A pity there's no touchscreen AF, else a great combi with tilt screen and max shutter speed is 1/4000s (Edit: there's no ND filter built in)

Some shots will be shared tonight.

Last edited:
More sample shots...

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 1/5000sec | f/1.4 | ISO 1600

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 1/800sec | f/1.4 | ISO 1600

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 1/850sec | f/1.4 | ISO 1600

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 1/1000sec | f/1.4 | ISO 1600

and the last installment of sample images from me...

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 1/4000sec | f/2.8 | ISO 400

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 1/850sec | f/2.8 | ISO 400

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 1/500sec | f/5.6 | ISO 400

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 1/140sec | f/1.4 | ISO 400

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 1/350sec | f/1.4 | ISO 400

Some of mine, very impressed with the lenses tested so far, Fujinon XF 56/1.2 & 23/1.4.

Here's one with the Fujinon XF 56/1.2 @ F1.2, the AF seems to be spot on and accurate. Shot close to the floor with tilt screen. OOC jpeg

Cropped 100%, very good details in the center at F1.2.

Another one (tweak highlights and shadows). Change the AF spot to bottom, there's a quick access button (press down and then move the AF box to where u want it). Also at F1.2.

Last edited:
Bokeh of the 56/1.2 @ F1.2? I think it's nice, subjective to individual taste. Sharpness (the AF spot was at the white flower) seems to fall abit. but this is just field test, other variables may affect the sharpness as well like wind, hand movement, etc. All shots below are OOC jpeg (velvia), and at F1.2

Again The spot AF didn't disappoint as it was spot on, was trying to test for CA. Looks good, though couldn't use it at F1.4 for the Fujinon 23/1.4 as it was too bright, i forgot about ND filter function as well. Here's a shot at F2.8 with Fujinon 23/1.4

& cropped

Last edited:
Does the lack of in-body or Optical (Prime Lenses) stabilization affects the picture quality?

max shutter speed is 1/4000s (but since there nd built in so not really issue)

Mind confirming again that there is built-in nd filter? If so, this will really be a great feature. But can't seems to find this info on other review sites.

Mind confirming again that there is built-in nd filter? If so, this will really be a great feature. But can't seems to find this info on other review sites.

Just checked again there's no ND filter, sorry my bad, I must have confused with X100s, make sense too as x100s is fixed lens. Let me edit the above. Tks!

Just checked again there's no ND filter, sorry my bad, I must have confused with X100s, make sense too as x100s is fixed lens. Let me edit the above. Tks!

Ouch. Anyway, still an amazing camera. Thanks for checking!

New impressions coming up soon! :)

Stay tuned!

Jumping straight into the photo samples, I found the X-T1 and the 56 and 23 mm lenses a real joy to use!

Needless to say, with such large aperture lenses, many tend to use them wide open for back-breaking critical testing, and frankly, these Fujinons didn't dissappoint.

Settings on these were Standard colour (not Velvia or Provia etc), Sharpness, NR, Contrast at '0'.

Almost all the shots were done WIDE OPEN, except for the continuous / Face Detection Grab Shots and food shots, which were most likely at 2 - 2.8. Check the EXIF.

Selected AF points (can be contracted or expanded) on Single Shot locked in very quickly and was a breeze to use.

Continuous with a selected AF point selected, no face detection, there was slight very short throw hunting in daylight.

Continuous WIDE Area AF with Face Detection 'ON', many blind grab shots were pleasingly satisfactory!

The Samples

DSCF5010_46_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5015_46_CS_900.jpg

Very slight Lo CA (green fringing was present). Hardly noticeable at 1.2, and you wouldn't notice it in real life shooting unless you constantly shoot metallic silver surfaces at 1.2.

DSCF5005_CS_900_Longitudinal_Chromatic_Aberrations_LoCA_.jpg

Clears up when stopped down slightly

DSCF5006_CS_900.jpg

Reactions: daredevil123
I was asked to take more portraits. :)

Very first day. Unfamiliar with the AF system just yet.

DSCF5027_46_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5023_46_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5031_46_CS_900.jpg

Last edited:
This was with the 23mm lens

DSCF5099_46_CS_900.jpg

56mm

DSCF5156_46_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5154_46_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5161_46_CS_900.jpg

23mm probably 2.8. Sorry for the difference in layout. These were prepared for something else.

DSCF5149_45_Ipoh_Hor_Fun_Dreams_900.jpg

That's all for now. Will post up more samples later on! Hope you liked these.

More portraits.

Beautiful rendering from both the 56mm 1.2 and 23mm 1.4 Fujinons, wide open!

DSCF5297_CS_900.jpg

Continuous AF with a selected AF point can be iffy. It might be better if you select the Wide Area setting and the Face Detection if there isn't multiple faces in the frame. Caveat: I did not try Wide Area settings without the Face Detection, and also did not have time to get more familiar with what the continuous AF could, or could not do.

DSCF5322_CS_900.jpg

The following are two examples of how pleasing the AF system performs when you're shooting blind, on Continuous, Wide Area setting with Face Detection set to 'ON'.

DSCF5584_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5591_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5549_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5640_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5616_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5648_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5628_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5661_CS_900.jpg

I'll finish off the series tomorrow with some foodie shots as well as more candids, and take you back where time stands still for now. And also just in time for the preview of the FUJIFILM X-T1 on Saturday!

CHEERS!

2 questions:

1) Is there a way to override the dials (this answer can probably be found somewhere, but I thought I might as well ask it here)?

2) Have you guys had a chance to test the new 10-24mm? :)

2 questions:

1) Is there a way to override the dials (this answer can probably be found somewhere, but I thought I might as well ask it here)?

2) Have you guys had a chance to test the new 10-24mm? :)
the override is an interesting question, as I was also thinking about that, such that the camera can take advantage of the front and rear dials to control a combination of Aperture, Shutter Speed, and EV (and even ISO). This is what we have come accustomed to with the DSLRs and digital cameras. But note that these are usually cameras that don't have the dedicated aperture, shutter speed, EV or ISO dials.

at the 11th hour, before return the camera, I was running through the camera menu, but didn't find such an override to the Aperture, Shutter Speed, EV or ISO dials. but going back to the design of the X-T1 (not that I was involved in the design of it), retro-styling on the X-T1 is very much a modern impression of the dials found on the old SLRs. Having these physical dials make these features available and accessible with dedicated dials for each of these shooting parameters / variables. For the non-R lenses (lenses without aperture rings), the dials would be used to control the aperture.

Aperture Ring set to "A" gives Shutter Priority mode
Shutter Speed set to "A" gives Aperture Priority mode
Both Aperture and Shutter Speed set to "A" gives Programme mode

But from the quick look, i didn't see the override option. But if it does, it would be great as you could get the best of both worlds. The hands-on session is this Saturday (tomorrow), and I'd be a little more deliborate in checking on this, and will update if I do find the override.

As for the 10-24, haven't played with it. But if you're keen, I'm sure that they would have it available at the hand-on session tomorrow.