First DSLR - Does variety of lens matters?

Thanks fmeeran, I will consider about it. May drop by MS C to have a feel of it. If it fits the hand nicely, personally, I don't mind give up some features of KR for it.

You could check how much the D5000 would cost with the 18-105 lens. It's about the same size as the D90 and shares the sensor. But yes, the Pentax seems to be the better deal. Just suggesting for ergonomics.

It's the same sensor but definitely not the same size. A D90 would feel much better in the hands than a D5000, unless you have unusually small hands

TS, just go try out the cameras you have in mind. I've heard as much small hands > big camera as big hands > small camera and all the various combos. Its very much a matter of preference and in some cases influenced by users previous/first camera size which they have gotten very used to.

Depends on what you want to shoot.

I've seen people who have extremely good pictures with dual kits
And there are also those who cant stop buying lenses (if you are one of those, you might want to consider Canon/Nikon/Sony)

It's the same sensor but definitely not the same size. A D90 would feel much better in the hands than a D5000, unless you have unusually small hands

Not very different leh. Within a few mm of each other.

W H B
D90 - 132 x 103 x 77 mm (5.2 x 4.1 x 3.0 in)
D5000-127 x 104 x 80 mm (5.0 x 4.1 x 3.1 in)

The D90 is heavier though which makes a difference in balance with heavier lenses.

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D5000-D90-Compared-to-Canon-Rebel-T1i-500D.shtml

Thanks Everyone for the input, But I've settled down with a 2nd Hand Canon 500D with Battery Grip instead. Feels as solid as the 60D in terms of grip.

Looking forward to learning from all seniors :)

But does the variety of lens really matter that much?

Thanks

They matter if you are going to get all of them... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Seriously, if you know there are some focal length/aperture you need, you should be smart enough to pick out brands of cameras that offer that lens.

If they don't matter to you, why do you care? :dunno:

They matter if you are going to get all of them... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Seriously, if you know there are some focal length/aperture you need, you should be smart enough to pick out brands of cameras that offer that lens.

If they don't matter to you, why do you care? :dunno:

Being new to photography, my current interest is mainly in day/night scenery (preferably with non-moving objects in the scene) which I think that even the kit lens will do pretty well for this purpose.

Probably I was thinking too much into the "future" where if I have other new found interest and the variety of lens that limits me (Come to think of it, it might not even happen). Should that happen, I guess I would be selling the Camera and probably all lens to get a brand that fits those new requirements. (That may also means more damage....)

The deciding factor for settling down with Canon 500D instead of Pentax KR was probably largely due to ergonomics factor (personally, felt that KR is quite small to hold...and the 500D is just right for my hand with the battery grip). Don't think I can "tahan" holding something that feels abit strange(small) for a long period of time.

To answer my own starting question "First DSLR - Does variety of lens matters?"
IMO, It don't matter if you have already identified your shooting preference (e.g Sports, Landscapes, Night Scenery, Night sports, Wildlife etc.) as you will be be able to pick the brands that offer those lens for your needs.

OTOH, If you don't have any shooting preference yet, IMO again, it would be better to go for a brand that offers more variety. Or you could start off with any brand with Kit lens, and use it to know your own shooting preference and then make your decision from then (to either Upgrade Lens or Change a brand to suit needs).