Fireworks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, yesterdays fireworks was ruined by the large amount of smoke.

I usually hope just to capture a good shot of the first burst, after that, I would just watch and enjoy the rest of the fireworks.

Looking at my EXIF info for the past few rehersals, the first burst will occur somewere around 8.13pm, standby for it.

Oh? May I know how to get into that field? It's where you can see the boats that tow those giant ballons park and waiting area, right?

Cause I have wanted to take from an opposite side of the parade and the flag fly pass.. My boss's idea anyway, I need to try to fulfill his 'command'.

you walk all the way to the NTUC building and walk along the new road to ECP/Maina Bay to get to the field.

during the show got some underwater blast which caused a great impact on the field that your whole body receives it. feels like exploding bomb very nearby.

i think there were csers at that field yest but i dun noe them.
was there with my friends.
:bsmilie:

you walk all the way to the NTUC building and walk along the new road to ECP/Maina Bay to get to the field.

during the show got some underwater blast which caused a great impact on the field that your whole body receives it. feels like exploding bomb very nearby.

Yes... i was there too. Happily setup the equipment for the fireworks and a stupid boat stop in front of me!!! Blocking the whole view!!!:angry:

over exposure is ok... but not to the extent where the smoke actually causes too much distraction until the fireworks are barely visible... short shuttle speeds aren't a choice either...

That was what happened to last nite's fireworks. The smoke was really bad.

I think 1/2 the cameramen in field are CSers! Just that donno who is who lah.. haha :bsmilie:

Next time we must have an 'Official CSer' vest to ID ourselves in the field! :sweatsm:

Looking at my EXIF info for the past few rehersals, the first burst will occur somewere around 8.13pm, standby for it.

around that time bah...
by 8pm, should on standby mode le.
wait for the jelly fish signal from the pier once they start moving (2nd time), it's a sign that firework is coming soon and just wait for the ignition.

overexposure with fireworks shots are ok. maybe nxt time u can try using bulb mode, F/13. yest i use it n it produces nice pictures. it was quite risky using such a high apperture but the pics turn out quite good;). upload it few days later for you to see.

sorry newbie qn:-

1) what is bulb mode?
2) if my camera dont have bulb mode, what is the best setup I can use to shoot fireworks?
3) I've used Shuttle priority with 6sec exposure time, but some pics looked burnt. any comments?
4) I've heard of pple using black cardboard, what's the purpose and how do I use it for fireworks shot?

thanks.

not enough breeze to blow the smoke away...

overexposure with fireworks shots are ok. maybe nxt time u can try using bulb mode, F/13. yest i use it n it produces nice pictures. it was quite risky using such a high apperture but the pics turn out quite good;). upload it few days later for you to see.

go higher for the f stop...gives u even better result...

sorry newbie qn:-

1) what is bulb mode?
2) if my camera dont have bulb mode, what is the best setup I can use to shoot fireworks?
3) I've used Shuttle priority with 6sec exposure time, but some pics looked burnt. any comments?
4) I've heard of pple using black cardboard, what's the purpose and how do I use it for fireworks shot?

thanks.

anybody can help with the above questions? :thumbsup:

anybody can help with the above questions? :thumbsup:

Hi

I'm not sure what camera u r using.. But as far as I know, in Shutter priority mode, you cannot activate BULB mode.

In most cases, BLUB mode can only be activated in MANUAL mode.

My newbie understanding of BULB mode is that camera allow u to control how long you want the shutter to open. Meaning, IF you select BULB mode shutter will stay OPEN as long as u have the shutter release button PRESSED... i.e. you press and hold the button for 1hr.. the shutter will open for 1 hr.. u hold for 2 secs.. it opens for 2 secs.. :)

When you use Shutter priority mode, your camera will attempt to adjust your apature to 'balance' the lighting condition. Since your camera will meter when you press shutter release and likely metering black sky, apature will be too big for 6 sec exposure when taking fireworks (thus appear burnt).

As for black card, you will need to use it in BULB mode. U use the BLACK CARD to block light from entering your lens and use it as a "hand held" shutter. Typically, they use this to capture several 'scenes' in a single exposure.

0.2 cents worth.. hope it helps. ;p

what cam, what setting you have on your cam?

i am using a Lumix FZ8, Shuttle priority, 6secs, f/5.6, ISO100, AWB.
What do u think of these setup?

Hi

I'm not sure what camera u r using.. But as far as I know, in Shutter priority mode, you cannot activate BULB mode.

In most cases, BLUB mode can only be activated in MANUAL mode.

My newbie understanding of BULB mode is that camera allow u to control how long you want the shutter to open. Meaning, IF you select BULB mode shutter will stay OPEN as long as u have the shutter release button PRESSED... i.e. you press and hold the button for 1hr.. the shutter will open for 1 hr.. u hold for 2 secs.. it opens for 2 secs.. :)

When you use Shutter priority mode, your camera will attempt to adjust your apature to 'balance' the lighting condition. Since your camera will meter when you press shutter release and likely metering black sky, apature will be too big for 6 sec exposure when taking fireworks (thus appear burnt).

As for black card, you will need to use it in BULB mode. U use the BLACK CARD to block light from entering your lens and use it as a "hand held" shutter. Typically, they use this to capture several 'scenes' in a single exposure.

0.2 cents worth.. hope it helps. ;p

thanks for the detailed reply.

I dont think my camera has a bulb mode under manual mode, nevertheless I'll try to find out in the owner's manual if it really has or not. so whats an alternative mode to use if I do not have bulb mode?

thanks for the detailed reply.

I dont think my camera has a bulb mode under manual mode, nevertheless I'll try to find out in the owner's manual if it really has or not. so whats an alternative mode to use if I do not have bulb mode?

Hi

I've googled ur camera, dun seems to have bulb mode, but in Manual mode, you can select shutter speed as slow as 60 secs. This is more than enuf for firework shots.

My humble (note, newbie;)) suggestion is to use manual, set ISO100, between f11~f15 and play with your shutter speed from 5~15 secs (maybe longer.. u test it out). :)

Which WB you guys are using to shoot the fireworks?

Hi

I've googled ur camera, dun seems to have bulb mode, but in Manual mode, you can select shutter speed as slow as 60 secs. This is more than enuf for firework shots.

My humble (note, newbie;)) suggestion is to use manual, set ISO100, between f11~f15 and play with your shutter speed from 5~15 secs (maybe longer.. u test it out). :)

wow do u really need that long exposure for fireworks? wouldnt that be too messy with so many fireworks in the sky over 15secs? and wouldnt it be burnt?

thanks for your suggestions nevertheless, I'm still learning, hence lots of newbie qns. :sweatsm:

i am using a Lumix FZ8, Shuttle priority, 6secs, f/5.6, ISO100, AWB.
What do u think of these setup?

u have manual mode? if you can push to f 12 and above, the streaks would look nicer.

you are almost there. dont forget to use a stable tripod

u have manual mode? if you can push to f 12 and above, the streaks would look nicer.

you are almost there. dont forget to use a stable tripod

okok will try it next week again!
Thanks for your suggestions... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.