Finland and Aurora Borealis in Feb

Hehe, ok. The photos really aren't that great, and I'm a bit 'pai seh' to share them. But shall do it in case some of you are thinking of going. Anyway, feel free to comment!

IMG_2039.JPG

A row of snow igloos in the Hotel and Igloo Village of Kakslauttanen near Saariselka. This was the only photo that I used a tripod for! Cos' I had no luck with the aurora, and I hardly took any photos at night.

IMG_2075.JPG

Ice igloo in the same igloo village

IMG_2125.JPG

Entrance to the village​

IMG_2233.JPG

The main street in Rovaniemi, capital of Lapland​

IMG_2356.JPG

This was in the Santa Claus Village. One of the few hours of clear, blue skies...​

The roads weren't cleared of the snow at all?
I didn't know Finland had their own Santa Clause house... I went to the one in Alaska, and that's supposedly the 'real' North Pole :bsmilie:

IMG_2459.JPG

Row of snowmobiles in Rovaniemi

IMG_2480.JPG

Our reindeer during the reindeer safari

IMG_2516.JPG

Ok, I'm not sure which of the two I prefer. I like the blue in the first, but it seemed a bit dark, so I increased the EV. Don't know if the second one is considered as overexposed, but I kinda like it as well.

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

It's quite funny to sometimes see poop dropping out in front.:bsmilie:

IMG_2694.JPG

Train station in Rovaniemi

IMG_2678.JPG

The local dish - Salmon Soup.

Last edited:
:thumbsup: photos & infos here.. TFS GUYS!!!!:)

The roads weren't cleared of the snow at all?
I didn't know Finland had their own Santa Clause house... I went to the one in Alaska, and that's supposedly the 'real' North Pole :bsmilie:

Nope! At least not in Lapland. Probably too much snow to clear, and too few cars, so not worth the trouble. Haha. It's amazing how they can still drive so fast.
Oh yes, Santa lives in Finland with his elves. Apparently, during Xmas 2009, he received 600 000 letters. :bsmilie: I didn't know they have an Alaskan Santa too. Haha.

Nope! At least not in Lapland. Probably too much snow to clear, and too few cars, so not worth the trouble. Haha. It's amazing how they can still drive so fast.
Oh yes, Santa lives in Finland with his elves. Apparently, during Xmas 2009, he received 600 000 letters. :bsmilie: I didn't know they have an Alaskan Santa too. Haha.

That's crazy.... are all the cars equipped with snow tires and a power plug?

That's crazy.... are all the cars equipped with snow tires and a power plug?

Hmm...snow tires, I would think so. But still witnessed a few cars skidding at the bends, though I think some were done on purpose to frighten us. :angry: What's with the power plug?

Hmm...snow tires, I would think so. But still witnessed a few cars skidding at the bends, though I think some were done on purpose to frighten us. :angry: What's with the power plug?

In Alaska, most (if not all) has their own power plugs at the front of the car. People plug that in at night (normally when it falls below -15/-20) to heat up the oil pan, so that it won't freeze up in the cold weather. If it does freeze up, the car will be pretty much dead. :bsmilie:That's what they say anyway.. :sweat:

Oh, while I was driving, even though my car was equipped with winter tires, the car does skid a little whenever I did a tight turn. So yea, just remember to drive slow, and know what to do when the car does skid. :thumbsup:

beautiful photos sharen! i just came back from tromso, wish i could have continued to lapland!
Yup, even with snow tires your car will skid. accelerate too fast, drive over ice, etc.. and it will skid.

beautiful photos sharen! i just came back from tromso, wish i could have continued to lapland!
Yup, even with snow tires your car will skid. accelerate too fast, drive over ice, etc.. and it will skid.

How how? Did you see 'it'? In my case, I would say 'wished I could have continued to Tromso'. :)