Filters or Post-Processing?

What will you do to get that desired effect?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could improvise... putting filters in the diaper bag... better still if soggy...
a la graduated GNDs

duh... if you got that extra $$ to do this i suggest you pass me some :bsmilie:

Yes, I use Lee 0.3, 0.6 & 0.9 ND Hard Grads and Soft Grads on Lee filter holder system. My polarizer is Heliopan 105mm. I'm a BIG time sucker for filters. Having said that, I still do PP. (Who doesn't anyway?) PP to me is like "salt & peppering" to taste, while filters are like "pan & wok" while the main ingredient is the photographer :bsmilie:

On a more serious note, I strongly believe in GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) and secondly I try my best to cut down on PP time, which can be better use on quality time with my family.

Qn... when you are using a GND filter, where do you meter? the foreground or background?

GND is used to reduce the Dynamic Range (DR) of a scene....after you get the smaller DR, it is still up to you where (as in the highlight or shadow, not foreground or background) you want to meter for the mood of your pic....to be safe, meter the mid tone item. Or meter the brightest highlight and the darkest shadow, then calculate the middle for a safe exposure.....thats how I do.

Qn... when you are using a GND filter, where do you meter? the foreground or background?

I meter both and find the difference. I try to keep the sky about 1stop plus minus brighter than the ground / sea. if the difference is say 4 stops then i use my 4 stop filter.

( unfortunately all the talk, but i dun have an array of GND to cater for all the various differences , so it is at best a guesstimate )

Ryan

I meter both and find the difference. I try to keep the sky about 1stop plus minus brighter than the ground / sea. if the difference is say 4 stops then i use my 4 stop filter.

( unfortunately all the talk, but i dun have an array of GND to cater for all the various differences , so it is at best a guesstimate )

Ryan

But that is choosing the right filter but the aperture and shutter?

Landscape with my wide angle lens, i go down to the range of f8-11 if i want to keep everything in sharpness. There is this nagging thing about stopping down too much and get diffraction effects . I never really pixel peep and compare but for all means and purposes f11 is ok for me.

Aperture size really depends on what you are shooting and what you wanna achieve?

Cheers
Ryan

But that is choosing the right filter but the aperture and shutter?

?

You know, I have no real idea what you are asking, and I don't mean any offense, no idea how to put it any other way; first you ask about metering, then you ask about aperture and shutter speed. What are you asking? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Aperture and shutter speed have NOTHING to do with GNDs, the only link I can think of is how stopping down more (i.e. using a larger f number) might reduce vignetting from the usage of GND on certain lenses.

?
Aperture and shutter speed have NOTHING to do with GNDs, the only link I can think of is how stopping down more (i.e. using a larger f number) might reduce vignetting from the usage of GND on certain lenses.

Ya I am asking what f stop you use lor

PP's can save you money and can even enhance your creativity and skill but there special filters that can be quite hard to emulate in PP's. (e.g. Polarizer)

Heyo, someone mentioned that UV filters aren't very useful in Singapore. Is that true? How does it reduce image quality, though? 'coz I'm not entirely sure how UV actually degrades image quality in the first place.

Heyo, someone mentioned that UV filters aren't very useful in Singapore. Is that true? How does it reduce image quality, though? 'coz I'm not entirely sure how UV actually degrades image quality in the first place.

Well UV filters do not degrade your pics unless it is dirty in the first place. I use UV filters not for cutting down UV but as a lens protector ;)

When u shoot from a height such as a moutain top, the UV might be strong enough to cast a slight bluish cast. I tried shooting with a UV filter but wasn visibly better. In the end i still had to do some slight correction in PS.

As to the degradation, IMHO it is best not to put any extra un-needed glass in front of your lens. I used to have a few NC filters for the sole purpose of protecting my lenses, but after a while I have removed my NC filters off my lenses, and be extra careful with my stuffs. ( Maybe until something happens .. :bsmilie:)

Ryan

Eh, well, I really protect even my UV filter, so I don't think it's really an issue. I can't actually see a quality difference before and after the filter, so that's why I was asking. I know some really picky photographers swear that the UV filter "degrades" their images, but I think that kinda degradation is probably detectable only with computer analysis and is probably not significant for use even in competitions (unless those also use computer analysis =p)

A GND is good to use but there will be situations that necessitate HDR
Ryan

can you share with us, in what situations it would necessitate HDR and GND is not of use?

can you share with us, in what situations it would necessitate HDR and GND is not of use?

quite a lot

here's a clear example that i shot at st andrew's

1211390309_e48a891057_o.jpg

gnd would not help in this case

Yes, I use Lee 0.3, 0.6 & 0.9 ND Hard Grads and Soft Grads on Lee filter holder system. My polarizer is Heliopan 105mm. I'm a BIG time sucker for filters. Having said that, I still do PP. (Who doesn't anyway?) PP to me is like "salt & peppering" to taste, while filters are like "pan & wok" while the main ingredient is the photographer :bsmilie:

On a more serious note, I strongly believe in GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) and secondly I try my best to cut down on PP time, which can be better use on quality time with my family.

like to ask about lee's holder. is it firm and rotate smoothly? i find cokin's system very flimsy.

quite a lot

here's a clear example that i shot at st andrew's

1211390309_e48a891057_o.jpg

gnd would not help in this case

Pardon me asking as I know zilch about GND and HDR but how does GND or ND not help in the example you posted and HDR a better option? I am thinking of getting GNDs for an upcoming trip and I wish to find out if it is worth the money to get the filters?

Pardon me asking as I know zilch about GND and HDR but how does GND or ND not help in the example you posted and HDR a better option? I am thinking of getting GNDs for an upcoming trip and I wish to find out if it is worth the money to get the filters?

If you do not know how to use it, I suggest you don't get it first. Do more reading up then decide if you really need it. Some pls prefer to do it during PP.

If you do not know how to use it, I suggest you don't get it first. Do more reading up then decide if you really need it. Some pls prefer to do it during PP.

Frankly speaking, I am one who will rather not spend time doing PP (unless my gf wanna do it for me ;p), therefore the thought of getting filters and get the effects on the spot.

Frankly speaking, I am one who will rather not spend time doing PP (unless my gf wanna do it for me ;p), therefore the thought of getting filters and get the effects on the spot.

Then make sure your gf does not mind waiting for you while you setup your tripod and filters as well ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.