Feeling inferior when using a P&S in the face of DSLRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
seriously u all trying to bluff threadstarter, from his description he was obviously shooting in quite a challenging environment....
TS u shooting indoor isszit?
Sometimes, things aren't as simple as it seems. ;)

he zoom from a distance, hand shaky when he sees his CO staring at him n shoot lah.
image sure blur lor. how many do you have to sign for 'bobo' shot the precious pic of ur CO? juz kidding. ;)

anyway, i was there this moring for other matter. the event was setup by pico art rite? :embrass:
Hahaha.... U working for pico?

he zoom from a distance, hand shaky when he sees his CO staring at him n shoot lah.
image sure blur lor. how many do you have to sign for 'bobo' shot the precious pic of ur CO? juz kidding. ;)

anyway, i was there this moring for other matter. the event was setup by pico art rite? :embrass:

my co din know i bo bo. :eek: i'm not sure who set it up leh. But the Navy side is organising it.

i'm ashamed to report that i din go to the front of the stage cos that was where all the DSLR toting photogs were. I just sat in my seat in the 4th row and snapped away. :embrass:

ok, lesson learnt. next time, be bold and more thick-skinned lah. when i attended zpop concert and new paper new face years ago with a p&s, i make sure i go as close to the stage as possible to get decent shots! go as close as u can, avoid blocking other photogs, and use ur flash.

ok, lesson learnt. next time, be bold and more thick-skinned lah. when i attended zpop concert and new paper new face years ago with a p&s, i make sure i go as close to the stage as possible to get decent shots! go as close as u can, avoid blocking other photogs, and use ur flash.
Ya, agree with lesson learnt. normally, p&s can hoot such. IIRC stage normally lighted during award presentation, unless someone forgot to switch on the lights :D

Last edited:

copy that..

Dee-toe! :D

Learn the limitations of the equipment and work within those parameters. :)

Since you're assigned, be focused and get the job done. Dun care what cameras others using, or even if they burst out laughing. Just ignore and I'm sure you'll get better results next time. ;)

3588711855_8bf9a0b26a.jpg

3588713541_cf6d842785.jpg

3588720987_c7259fe5f8.jpg

3588715775_f58f7446ac.jpg

3589525892_3e4e97c7b6.jpg

3588723065_93d7aca1e5.jpg

3589532694_205310d216.jpg

3588726975_46015e67b0.jpg

my CO's pic come out lidat cos i used the burst function. Was afraid that i would miss the shot since i the camera takes some time to be ready for the next shot.

Actually P&S can do very good shots even in such enviroment, which is why these cameras are known as P&S mah ;).

I was using my Lumixs to SSS before I got my DSLR, not because the Lumixs are no good, just that I want to be more versatile to explore more shooting styles. P&S are 1 camera stuck with that fix lens to do all but with capability till a certain extend only.

To those guys and girls who have used a P&S or are still using one, do you feel inferior whenever someone shows up beside you using his DSLR with the shutter clicking away?

no, because i know that there are really good photographers out there who use p&s

the problem lies with me, if i cannot take good pictures, unless my camera is limited by the circumstance.

no, because i know that there are really good photographers out there who use p&s

the problem lies with me, if i cannot take good pictures, unless my camera is limited by the circumstance.

i get what you mean. But when does it become the camera's limitations and not my own skills?

i get what you mean. But when does it become the camera's limitations and not my own skills?

e.g.
when u have to shoot at very high iso's in low available lighting only to shoot moving objects. then u would be better off shooting with a D3 (or equivalent) and a fast prime lens instead of a p&s.

if you could not have done better, and you know your equipment inside out

to be fair, a p&s is much easier to know inside out, it has fixed lens, fixed range of settings to a certain extent.

but that is another matter altogether, being intimidated or feeling inferior should never be an issue. :) there are people out there who have nikon d3, trinity lenses, they produce nonsensical shots. there are people out there using lx3 or similar p&s, they produce photos worthy of applause.

that other day, i came across a photographer from amsterdam who uses an lx3 to take sunset shots.

link1
link2

i'd wager that there are dslr users that cannot produce such results and composition, even given the same scene and timing.

emphasize the correct things, equipment is important, but not that important, when you get that clear, and you know that fact.... life becomes a lot easier.

if you could not have done better, and you know your equipment inside out

to be fair, a p&s is much easier to know inside out, it has fixed lens, fixed range of settings to a certain extent.

but that is another matter altogether, being intimidated or feeling inferior should never be an issue. :) there are people out there who have nikon d3, trinity lenses, they produce nonsensical shots. there are people out there using lx3 or similar p&s, they produce photos worthy of applause.

that other day, i came across a photographer from amsterdam who uses an lx3 to take sunset shots.

link1
link2

i'd wager that there are dslr users that cannot produce such results and composition, even given the same scene and timing.

emphasize the correct things, equipment is important, but not that important, when you get that clear, and you know that fact.... life becomes a lot easier.

stunning shots from an lx3..... :thumbsup:

Don't feel bad about DSLR next to you when you shoot. I went through something similar about 4 years back.
Imagine being asked by a friend to cover a wedding party in Bintang and you only have some old equipment from 20 years ago. I covered the wedding with a Minolta film 505SI super with a single 24 85 lens, an old Sunpak 622 handle mount flash and about 20 rolls of film. As I was preparing to shoot, a few other friends of the groom came over with a plethora of Nikon and Canon single digit bodies and lenses with front elements bigger than my palm. Looking at my equipment, some of them looked shocked at the lack of "Pro" equipment and lenses and even said it out loud. I just kept my cool and shot and shot the standard set of pics expected of me as well as some more artistic ones of the settings. End of the day, still got some of the better pics that day and my friend was pleased with the results. Most important point right?
Equipment doesn't make the photographer, just remember that next time.

if is held in mindef, you have a better chance at better lighting, the lighting looks somewhat dim to me...tough call with a p&s...heng i ord long time ago, if not must go and do sai kang again...navy always have a lot of these types of event...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.