Factors to consider in buying Prime Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter talking about prime lense bro. ;)

If you want to compare specs look for SHG (super high grade) F2 zoom lenses from Oly. Fast lense, but drain $$$ from wallet very fast too. Plus not immediately available, must order from shops cos too ex normally they do not keep in stock. :sweat:

Prime lense is always cheaper because the design is simpler and they use less glass in the first place. There is less mechanism (only to allow AF) and not having to deal with "zooming".

Yes, but after we had reccomended that the TS look into fast zooms as well, the TS commented that 2,8 zooms are out of the budget...

The main reason why Oly is cheap is due to the smaller size of the 4 thirds format...

Yep Yep.
Zoom lens at constant apertures (F2.8), and even the 1.4F 85mm Prime Lens is not on my 'Can Consider Buying' list yet. But they are definitely on my 'Looking Forward To when I accumulate enough $$$$' list. :lovegrin:
Like what Zac says...once bitten by the BBB virus (what's that stand for, Buy Buy Buy?), there's no end...

Now narrowing down search to either -
1) F1.8 85mm Lens ($660) or
2) F1.8 50mm Lens ($180).

Still can't believe these two have a 3 times price gap!!

Oh, if I do get the F1.8, 85mm lens, should I get a filter?
There is another thread here on the F1.8, 50mm lens filters where most users think that filters are not necessary for the 50mm lens.

The main reason why Oly is cheap is due to the smaller size of the 4 thirds format...

Just out of curiosity, what is '4 thirds format' refer to?

Yep Yep.
Zoom lens at constant apertures (F2.8), and even the 1.4F 85mm Prime Lens is not on my 'Can Consider Buying' list yet. But they are definitely on my 'Looking Forward To when I accumulate enough $$$$' list. :lovegrin:
Like what Zac says...once bitten by the BBB virus (what's that stand for, Buy Buy Buy?), there's no end...

Now narrowing down search to either -
1) F1.8 85mm Lens ($660) or
2) F1.8 50mm Lens ($180).

Still can't believe these two have a 3 times price gap!!

Oh, if I do get the F1.8, 85mm lens, should I get a filter?
There is another thread here on the F1.8, 50mm lens filters where most users think that filters are not necessary for the 50mm lens.

The price gap is there due to the size of the glass and construction. For the 50mm f1.8, the reason why there is no need for a filter is that the front element of the lens is deeply recessed, there is lil chance of touching or dirtying it in normal usage.

50_18D_01_s.jpg

From Nikon Singapore website

Compare it with this 85mm f1.8
85_18D_01_s.jpg

From Nikon Singapore website

The front element of the 85 is further out and may come into contact with the user or other debris, as such some users may opt to use a protection filter of a cheap UV filter from Hoya, etc or invest in a better one from say B+W or Nikon NC.

Four thirds

It's a smaller format which has a 2x crop factor.

Thanks! ;)

Are B+W a brand or a type of lens? What about Nikon NC, what does it do?

If I take photos in dim light, does UV filter makes the results even dimmer, or does it only block out UV light? (Sorry, seems like a dumb question, but I really dunno.):dunno:

If so, what filters will be suitable for photographing under dim lights?

Thanks! ;)

Are B+W a brand or a type of lens? What about Nikon NC, what does it do?

If I take photos in dim light, does UV filter makes the results even dimmer, or does it only block out UV light? (Sorry, seems like a dumb question, but I really dunno.):dunno:

If so, what filters will be suitable for photographing under dim lights?

Filters.. they are brands for filters.

A Good UV filter will not impede any light flow. So it will not affect you. BUT poor quality ones may have a ghosting effect.

Please search on this forum for these problems to have a better idea.

Before I decide on the F1.8, 85mm lens... is there anything that the 50mm lens does which the 85mm lens cannot achieve?

I can only think of the wide angle which the 50mm provides while then 85mm is probably more suitable for portraits given that it's 'narrower'?

the 50mm is about 80mm for DX dslr. and the 85mm will be 100mm already.. wun it be too narrow?? thats why ppl get the sigma 30mm f1.4 which is about 50mm for dx.. the 50mm f1.4 or 1.8 will be ard 80mm which is good for half body potraite

the 50mm is about 80mm for DX dslr. and the 85mm will be 100mm already.. wun it be too narrow??

That's my main concern about getting the 85mm lens.

Am still trying to find photos taken out of the two lens to make a comparison.

yr best bet is 50mm... and if u gonna take indoor shoot example in hdb flat then 30mm is better...

the 50mm is about 80mm for DX dslr. and the 85mm will be 100mm already.. wun it be too narrow?? thats why ppl get the sigma 30mm f1.4 which is about 50mm for dx.. the 50mm f1.4 or 1.8 will be ard 80mm which is good for half body potraite

This is what i meant by you would need some getting used to when shooting. In most situations, you can either zoom in or out to get that shot but with prime you can't. Especially if its a one time shot you miss it you will regret kind? you must know how far and positioning stuff like tat. Also, when my gf was shooting with it..the pic is always blur..she is a pro PnS shooter (haha) but still...speaking from experience...prime lens can produce some very nice pic or some really blur ones if you are not very careful. Other lens with VR or not, somehow the blur is not so bad. :bsmilie:

One of the other reasons why the more telephoto lenses are popular portraits is because of the pleasing / flattening of proportions that you get from shooting as compared to using a wider angle lens for the same size.

Ryan

yr best bet is 50mm... and if u gonna take indoor shoot example in hdb flat then 30mm is better...

This is what i meant by you would need some getting used to when shooting. In most situations, you can either zoom in or out to get that shot but with prime you can't. Especially if its a one time shot you miss it you will regret kind? you must know how far and positioning stuff like tat. Also, when my gf was shooting with it..the pic is always blur..she is a pro PnS shooter (haha) but still...speaking from experience...prime lens can produce some very nice pic or some really blur ones if you are not very careful. Other lens with VR or not, somehow the blur is not so bad. :bsmilie:

Please read TS's post #1...

TS needs the range as the target is to shoot performance...

Please read TS's post #1...

TS needs the range as the target is to shoot performance...

Bro I never said the range is bad ah~;)

Just pointing out shooting with prime at a concert for example would be tricky especially if the ability to shoot in low light is the concern. 85mm loses abt 1~2 f-stops compared to 50mm in low light due to the focus length. Unless speed is the issue...if not, 50mm would be good.

Last edited:
Bro I never said the range is bad ah~;)

Just pointing out shooting with prime at a concert for example would be tricky especially if the ability to shoot in low light is the concern. 85mm loses abt 1~2 f-stops compared to 50mm in low light due to the focus length. Unless speed is the issue...if not, 50mm would be good.

I would agree on the speed issues. But sadly a 50mm is not a good tool when shooting subjects approx 5 to 10m away....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_System

By the way the legendary "little tuna" lense of the 4/3 system is the 150mm F2 prime

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425719

There is one enthusiast birder who combo this with EC14 and EC20 to be his walkabout 3 lense to get 150 mm F2, 212 mm (roughly, cos EC14 is multiplication of square root of 2) 2.8, and 300mm F4

This will be good for closeup for stage performance where you normally cannot secure front seat due to ticket price & availability.

But... I think this is totally out of your price range. Same with me as I dont go attend concert. My prime lenses are for candid walkabout street photography.

I settle my prime lenses addiction for the pancake 25mm F2.8 great for shooting from the belly and Sigma 30mm F1.4, plus with EC14.
I have yet to master much skill before justifying to get that "little tuna".

Last edited:
85mm loses abt 1~2 f-stops compared to 50mm in low light due to the focus length. Unless speed is the issue...if not, 50mm would be good.

How does this work that 85mm loses 1-2 f stops compared to 50mm? Why is this the case? Because it's further?

Does that mean that the 50mm lens is slow?

I would agree on the speed issues. But sadly a 50mm is not a good tool when shooting subjects approx 5 to 10m away....

Not good when shooting subjects 5-10m away? Is that due to the wider angles?

What about F1.4, 50mm?

if you are thinking of shooting stage performances in dim lighting condition, I would recommand 85mm f1.4 if you have the budget. shot a performance recently here which I did with 85mm f1.4. tried switching to 80-200mm @ f2.8 but even at iso 1600, i was not able to stop the fast movement and pictures turn out blur with my 80-200mm. while shooting 85mm @ 1.4 with iso 800, most of the pictures turn out sharp. as for the range, I was standing around 3-4m away from the performers. hope this helps. ;)

How does this work that 85mm loses 1-2 f stops compared to 50mm? Why is this the case? Because it's further?

Does that mean that the 50mm lens is slow?

Longer focus length = higher f-no. = > ability to shoot in low light

For example 18-200mm, at 18mm you can go down to f3.5 (correct me if I am wrong..sold my 18-200 long long time ago) but if you zoom out to 200mm you can only shoot at f5.6.

f3.5 is surely more light sensitive compared to f5.6 thus losing the ability to shoot in low light in exchange for the range.

And no, 50mm is by no means slow~ :bsmilie:

Not good when shooting subjects 5-10m away? Is that due to the wider angles?

What about F1.4, 50mm?[/QUOTE]

I would say so...its not wide..but you are fixed at that angle of shooting whether you like it or not, or if whatever you don want to be in will still have to be in the pic and f1.4 50mm is the same just better in low light and better bokeh.

One point to take note : 85mm f1.8 has some bokeh issus with near and far objects.

Cheers.

While lighting conditions vary from performances to performances, my (very limited) experiences with stage performances is that F2.8 can be quite inadequate; more so if its a dance item.

I had used the 17-55IS F2.8 (on a 1.6 crop) and the 85 F1.8 (on a full frame camera), the latter gives me a better hit rate.

It would be good, like what others have suggested, to rent the lens to try it out.

if you are thinking of shooting stage performances in dim lighting condition, I would recommand 85mm f1.4 if you have the budget. shot a performance recently here which I did with 85mm f1.4. tried switching to 80-200mm @ f2.8 but even at iso 1600, i was not able to stop the fast movement and pictures turn out blur with my 80-200mm. while shooting 85mm @ 1.4 with iso 800, most of the pictures turn out sharp. as for the range, I was standing around 3-4m away from the performers. hope this helps.

Awesome!! Those are the types of photos I am thinking of taking! :lovegrin::lovegrin::lovegrin:

If I don't have the budget ...would you recommend that I go for the f1.4 50mm lens or the f1.8 85mm lens to get results closer to those photos you have taken?

You are only 3-4m away? Woah...I used to think the 85mm is narrower than that...wonder if the 50mm lens will be too wide for this type of actions.

I had used the 17-55IS F2.8 (on a 1.6 crop) and the 85 F1.8 (on a full frame camera), the latter gives me a better hit rate.

I would love to have a Full Frame camera...but... ... ...maybe next time.

It would be good, like what others have suggested, to rent the lens to try it out.

Hmmm anyone knows anywhere which rents out lens, and how much they charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.