F80d

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys... thanks for all your input... appreciate it but then back to the topic again. From what i know a AF 50mm is a normal lens for general use. But how come the camera kit comes with a AF 28-80mm zoom instead of the 50mm? what reason leh?

sorry ah, just want to know the lens well to make decisions lah...

Originally posted by Kho King
Jed,
Besides critisizing...what more can you do? I can hardly see you posting any positive comments...other than critisizing on others comment after they try to help the posters.

Besides admiring your equipment with your sideline job as an equipment trader, what more can you do? Take pictures maybe? I don't criticise people for offering useful advice... go check my old posts. Then read my signature. I stand by that and practice that, so you should wonder why I seem to keep having to reply to you.

I recommend the 60micro now because the buyer has more budget in his hand I believe, as he plans to get two lens (28-80mm/50mm AND 70-300mm). I am not saying the 50mm is no good, but having the 60micro can be more fun in exploring macro photography.

Really? I can't find the original thread now, but I distinctly remember the original poster in that original thread was also after two zoom lenses. (Issit Worth It?). So what's the difference in budget there? In that instance, he hadn't even asked for opinions on lenses, only whether it was a good price or not, and you jumped in with the fact that you wouldn't buy either of those lenses, but buy a 50mm lens. You had no idea what he wanted to shoot, and you drop your own recommendation.

Giving the choice of the two zoom vs 50mm f/1.8D, I will still go for the 50mm f/1.8D. My stand still same.

And what is the difference here?!?! The original poster wants two zoom lenses too. And this time, he actually lists the 50/1.8 as a possible purchase in lieu of one of those two lenses. You have more reason to suggest it here than in that other thread. But no, in comes the 60.

In fact, you've just acknowledged that in the old thread the user wanted two zoom lenses, which just completely rubbishes your attempted argument of there being an increased budget in this situation.

Not many people aware of the world of macro photography. 50mm and 60mm is so very near (same), thus if budget is not a constraint, I suggest the buyer to try this lens out.

You didn't qualify yourself either for that matter, although I didn't point this out. You just said you preferred it and left it at that, leaving Szennyboy to come in and add the details. How about the 50/1.8 so the poster can explore the world of low light photography?

Ian,
What's the problem suggesting another option to the original poster? What else can you do besides comments on others post instead of helping the original poster?

The problem is you're providing blind advice, without taking any account of the circumstances of the person seeking advice. This is just plain dangerous, and really a hinderance and not helpfull at all.

Oh...so you mean every recommendation we made we must GUARANTEE that the buyer MUST like, else we have to take responsible for the lost?

No, but as Ninja says, you need to take some responsibility. Some guy comes along asking, is a BMW a good buy at 20k. Your reply, "not bad, but I would buy a Mini Cooper." That would be the earlier thread. Now it's, should I buy a BMW or a Merc? Your reply, "a Merc's not bad, but I'd buy a scooter". It might be fair advice, but how do you know what the guy wants the stuff for if you don't first ask?

The original poster is considering a 50mm lens. What's so much different between the 50mm and the 60mm? Speed? If speed is a problem, then the buyer wouldn't have consider the slow zoom.

Agreed. But how about in the older post? The guy was asking about two zooms. No 50mm, no 60mm.

Thus, I recommend a still quite fast but more exciting 60micro lens as an OPTION to the original poster.

Oh yeah, as an option. You didn't bother to explain why, just that you "prefer" it. To a newby, he might think you know what you're talking about and buy a 60mm just because you prefer it. How about explaining why he might want a 60mm?

Think again before you post, Kit.

How about practising some of that yourself? As I've said above, you even end up contradicting your own arguments.

Yeah...I suppose you are the smartest...giving so "good advice" by saying nothing to the original poster. Great and smart...

Actually, when you have nothing good to say, don't people say you should keep your gob shut?

And yes, I own, haven't sold, and actually use a 60mm.

Originally posted by stl
guys... thanks for all your input... appreciate it but then back to the topic again. From what i know a AF 50mm is a normal lens for general use. But how come the camera kit comes with a AF 28-80mm zoom instead of the 50mm? what reason leh?

A zoom lens is usually included in the kit because manufacturers expect new users to buy these kits and would generally prefer zoom lenses for the convenience they offer. For many, they are just contented to start out with a 28-80(including myself) and I believe they make up quite a substantial amount in the market. The 50 in my opinion, is less "sellable".

Originally posted by Kit

A zoom lens is usually included in the kit because manufacturers expect new users to buy these kits and would generally prefer zoom lenses for the convenience they offer. For many, they are just contented to start out with a 28-80(including myself) and I believe they make up quite a substantial amount in the market. The 50 in my opinion, is less "sellable".

That's right, the cheapo zoom lenses tend to be targeted towards consumers more than photographers.

Originally posted by stl

To what I know, SLR in the older times (maybe in the 15-20 years back) come with a 50mm lens as standard. That is becos zoom lens is very expensive (maybe not even available). But now a days, since zoom is so common (even an compact P&S have zoom) if SLR still package it with 50mm it will be very hard to sell. Esp to those who just use the camera as holidays pictures.

The picture quality between a zoom and a prime is different. Normally Prime lens (eg. 50mm) is better then zooms (normal 28-80mm lens that come with SLR) but not everyone can really see the differents from the pictures when developed at 4R size.

With a zoom, you can compose the pictures with less walking around the object. Which make lazy people like me to prefer zooms then prime. Just for example:
You are taking photo for a person, and you found a perfect spot. With 50mm lens you look thru the viewfinder and see that you only get half the body in frame, so if you want the whole body you will need to move back by 2-3 steps, and if you want to take the face only, you will need to move forward 1-2 steps.
With a 28-80mm zoom, if you set your zoom at 50mm, you see half body, at the same position by turning the zoom to 28mm you will manage to get to whole body in the frame, turning it to 80mm, you get a close up of the face. So less leg work here!

Not really sure why AF 50mm is consider as normal lens for general use, maybe because 50mm lens is near to what human eyes see, and could be the cheapest and easiest lens to build with nearly no distortion... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.