F1 shooting guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo lioneldude, same lionel from the f1sg forum? :)

But yeah. The problem is... fast lens, AI servo, as lionel carefully mentioned is "useful" but not mandatory.

Why? Cos even at f11/f22, you can blur the background since panning deliberately does that, although not in the bokeh way that so many are familiar with.

AI Servo? Great if you are using AF and tracking for panning. Useless if you are using MF.

So yes, useful if you are starting out but not a must.

So TS, confused already?

Yeah i'm the same guy on f1gpsg forum.

When you are composing your shot, the aperture is wide open and hence it helps with your AF. Your shot setting may be f/11 but during focusing it is open at f/2.8 or the largest aperture you have.

AI servo only good if you should from certain areas that you can track the car comfortably without hitting the fence, i.e from higher ground. I found this useful when i shot from row 15 of Turn 2 which is above the fence and able to track the car as it goes thru turns 1 and 2.

However, if you are just trackside, AI servo can work with IS mode 2, by delibrately swinging your lens to blur out the fence in your view finder and such that the AF cant find the fence. Of course there are times when you hit a fence post or fixture, so you prob got to experiment and see what works.

AI servo only good if you should from certain areas that you can track the car comfortably without hitting the fence, i.e from higher ground. I found this useful when i shot from row 15 of Turn 2 which is above the fence and able to track the car as it goes thru turns 1 and 2.

I was at row 15 at grand stand turn 2. :bsmilie:

However, if you are just trackside, AI servo can work with IS mode 2, by delibrately swinging your lens to blur out the fence in your view finder and such that the AF cant find the fence. Of course there are times when you hit a fence post or fixture, so you prob got to experiment and see what works.

Yah.. need to experiment and find the best "swing" to avoid the post. The wire mesh is not an issue. Some lens (canon L) can set the focusing distance (eg 2.5m to inf, 2.5m - 6m, 6.5-inf) so if you are less than 6.5m from the fence set to (6.5m-inf) and you will not misfocus on the fence.

Making the TS more confuse... :bsmilie:

Yah.. need to experiment and find the best "swing" to avoid the post. The wire mesh is not an issue. Some lens (canon L) can set the focusing distance (eg 2.5m to inf, 2.5m - 6m, 6.5-inf) so if you are less than 6.5m from the fence set to (6.5m-inf) and you will not misfocus on the fence.

Making the TS more confuse... :bsmilie:

Maybe TS can view the following article

How to take Photographs in Formula 1
http://www.f1badger.com/2009/04/f1-photographer/

Yeah i'm the same guy on f1gpsg forum.

When you are composing your shot, the aperture is wide open and hence it helps with your AF. Your shot setting may be f/11 but during focusing it is open at f/2.8 or the largest aperture you have.

Agreed. But I shoot on MF with prefocus so the AI Servo and f/2.8 doesn't come into play and the silly IS mode on the 55-250 sometimes does the "skip and dance" and this screws up the shot.

Anyway, it was fun to test how low I could realistically go. 1/30 was really stretching it but rewarding when you get shots like these :bsmilie:

IMG_0204.jpg

TS, here are some of my suggestion to your F1 Shooting:

I will start shooting from the following and make sure it work.

IMG_9845.jpg

CANON EOS 20D
EF 20-35mm f/2.8 L at 20mm
f/6.3 1/30sec ISO400

If picture #1 work, I will move on to moving car.

IMG_9880.jpg

CANON EOS 20D
EF 20-35mm f/2.8 L at 26mm
f/4.5 1/60sec ISO400

If pciture #2 work, I will test at a different angle and with some composition.

IMG_9925.jpg

CANON EOS 20D
EF 20-35mm f/2.8 L at 22mm
f/6.3 1/80sec ISO800

For F1 cars you will need to increase the shutter speed.

IMG_0076.jpg

CANON EOS 20D
EF 70-200mm f/4 L at 200mm
f/4 1/400sec ISO1600

Pic #1,2,3,4 are from my other threads.

Cheers!

Check out my blog post about Paul Henri Cahier. Some of the images there have settings.

Thank you all for taking time to contribute... I must admit i was ill prepared to shoot that day although i had done prior research on panning shots, the F1 experience was daunting... With a 50mm, trying to contend with people and fences as well as mind boggling speed i felt compelled to seek advice from my fellow forum members in order to point myself in the right direction so i may apply their experience and knowledge in my practice leading up to next years race...

I must clarify though that, yes, i did ask for settings etc, but not to make this as a hard and fast rule but to see what the general range would be and compare this to what i have already learnt and tried out...

Indeed a wealth of information has been presented and i am thoroughly grateful to those who have contributed...

Thank you especially Lioneldude, Silverpine, Sivakis, Deswitch, Casio! =)

Yes there is no substitute for practice, but bad practice is as good as no practice... With this information i can better focus what i need to practice on and the aspects i need to look at when i shoot...

@Sivakis: Dont worry dude am not confused, rather things have been made clearer =D

For those who have been patient i thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.