F1: Pre-season

Status
Not open for further replies.
ING to leave Formula One at the end of 2009

Renault title sponsor ING has announced on Monday that it will end its association with the French team, and pull out of Formula One racing altogether, following the 2009 season. The Dutch financial giant’s move is part of a company-wide cost-cutting initiative, prompted by the current economic climate.

“In light of the recently announced cost reduction programme, ING confirmed today not to renew the three year sponsorship (2007-2009) contract with Renault F1 and to end its presence in F1 beyond the 2009 season,” read the ING statement.

“ING’s participation in Formula One was the company’s first global sponsorship project aimed at delivering revenue and raising the global brand awareness, particularly in ING’s key growth markets. Over the past two years, ING has successfully achieved its objectives for the F1 sponsorship, raising its overall global brand awareness by 16 per cent (March 07 vs November 08).

“F1 remains a powerful business driver even in a difficult economic climate. Whilst ING has cut the F1 sponsorship costs by 40 per cent in the final year, revenue generating opportunities will be a continuing focus through 2009. ING has enjoyed the relationship with Renault F1 and will continue to work closely with the team during the final year of the partnership.”

In response to ING’s announcement, Renault’s managing director, Flavio Briatore said: “During the past three years, the Team and ING have enjoyed a rewarding and successful relationship. ING has been an enthusiastic and supportive partner for the Renault F1 Team in all respects. They have been a true success story and have become a brand that is recognised worldwide thanks to an innovative and proactive sponsorship programme with our Team and Formula One.”

“However, we have been aware for quite some time that the world’s current financial climate was calling for a restructuring of our sport and with FOTA we have moved in that direction. Drastic cost reductions have been on FOTA’s agenda as one of the first priorities and with the ongoing programme of measures we are confident we can guarantee a solid future for our team and for Formula One.”

wonder will more sponsor pull out?:think:

Bahrain day one - Klien quickest for BMW Sauber

Following last week’s session, Ferrari, BMW Sauber and Toyota resumed testing in Bahrain on Monday. BMW Sauber tester Christian Klien was the man to beat, clocking a best time of 1m 32.544s around the Sakhir circuit to finish over two tenths of a second ahead of Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen.

With the sun shining, Klien completed 131 laps over the course of the day in the F1.09. The Austrian was charged with mechanical and aero set-up work, as well as evaluating different tyre compounds. Team mate Nick Heidfeld will be in action for the German-Swiss team on Tuesday.

“Today was a very productive day”, said Klien. “We collected a lot of data and I even did a long run at the end of the session. Again we didn’t have a single technical problem, which is very encouraging.”

Raikkonen focused chiefly on assessing different set-up configurations, carrying out tyre comparisons and evaluating the car’s overall reliability. The Finn, who covered 116 laps in the F60, will continue to test on Tuesday.

Completing Monday’s runners was Jarno Trulli, who finished in third for Toyota. Trulli covered 141 laps, working through a comprehensive programme of mechanical and aerodynamic set-up, alongside tyre comparisons. The Italian will be back in the TF109’s cockpit on Tuesday.

"We made it through way more than two race distances today - in fact I think this is my personal best for mileage at a test day!” he said. “So I'd say this was a positive and productive day. There were a lot of items to test on a full programme and we got through everything. We made good progress and we were consistently competitive all day long. This has been a good start to our second week here."

Testing continues in Bahrain on Tuesday.

Unofficial Monday times from Bahrain:
1. Christian Klien, BMW Sauber, 1:32.544
2. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:32.804
3. Jarno Trulli, Toyota, 1:33.064

Bahrain day two - Raikkonen takes Ferrari back to the top

Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen charged to the top of the timesheets on Tuesday, as this week’s test continued in Bahrain. Clocking a best lap of 1m 32.102s around the Sakhir circuit, Raikkonen’s quickest time was over a tenth of a second faster than that of Jarno Trulli in the Toyota.

Despite setting the fastest time, the Finn endured a frustrating session, after a problem with the cooling element of his car's KERS device marred his final day in the Ferrari. Forced to stop for three hours of repair work, Raikkonen managed to cover 107 laps. Team mate Felipe Massa will test the F60 on Wednesday.

"Until today the car's development went well, although we were mainly concentrating on its behaviour and the tyres," said Raikkonen. "Anyway we drove many laps. The whole car improved during this test, but it's still too early to say where we are compared to our competitors."

Trulli, meanwhile, carried out set-up, tyre and suspension work in the TF109, completing 149 laps in total. With his Sakhir test now over, team mate Timo Glock will take charge of the cockpit on Wednesday.

“This has been a very good test for us,” the Italian explained. “I've covered well over 2000km in three days and I feel happy with the car. It seems competitive and reliable so a start like this gives us a solid base for the season ahead. There is still a lot of time before the first race and there is plenty of scope for teams to make big steps between now and Melbourne. So we will have to keep pushing hard to keep up the momentum in the factory and at the remaining tests. Still, so far so good.”

Third fastest was Nick Heidfeld for BMW Sauber. Heidfeld concentrated on the mechanical set-up of the F1.09, evaluating various specifications of dampers and torsion bars. The German, who covered 104 laps, also carried out some practice starts in the morning and towards the end of the day.

“Today I drove the new BMW Sauber F1.09 in warm weather conditions for the first time, so the most important thing for me was to learn more about the general balance of the car,” he said. “Overall it was a good day because I tried a lot of different set-up solutions. I already feel happy about how the car reacts to changes.”

Heidfeld's day, however, wasn't entirely trouble free. In the morning, the car stopped on the track when a standard kill switch accidentally cut off the main electronic control unit and engaged the automatic fire extinguishing system. But with some modifications to the switch linkage - and a cleaned up car - he was able to get back out on track.

Testing continues in Bahrain on Wednesday.

Unofficial Tuesday times from Bahrain:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:32.102
2. Jarno Trulli, Toyota, 1:32.230
3. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber, 1:32.585

Costa: Ferrari ‘quite satisfied’ with KERS

Ferrari technical director Aldo Costa has revealed that he is pleased with the progress of the Italian team’s Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS), despite several reliability issues interrupting their scheduled programme during this week’s Bahrain test.

Over the past three days, the Ferrari has covered more than 300 laps of the Sakhir circuit. But a problem with the system's cooling element marred Kimi Raikkonen’s Tuesday running, while gearbox and electrical troubles limited Felipe Massa’s time in the car on Wednesday.

“There might be some problems ahead, like the ones we've had over the past two days with the completely new components of the KERS, or with experiments, like the ones we had on the gearbox,” explained Costa on Ferrari’s official website. “(But) as far as the KERS is concerned I have to say that we're quite satisfied with what we've seen so far, although there's still lots of work to do.”

With just one more day of testing in Bahrain left, Costa is already refocusing his attentions towards next month’s two Spanish sessions, and is particularly looking forward to supervising a more comprehensive evaluation of the F60’s aerodynamics.

“We used a standard configuration for the aerodynamics here in Bahrain, with just some minor updates," he added. "The complete one we'll see at the next tests in Jerez and Barcelona, where we will conclude our preparation for the Australian Grand Prix."

Once the Sakhir test is over on Thursday evening, Ferrari will return to their Maranello base in Italy to analyse the data they have gleaned, ahead of their return to the test track at Jerez in March.

Honda: search for a ‘serious buyer’ continues

Amidst widespread media speculation, Honda revealed on Monday they are yet to find a serious buyer for their Formula One team. The Japanese car maker put the team up for sale in December, after announcing they were to withdraw from the sport in light of difficult economic conditions in the global auto market.

Although a bid from the Virgin Group and an internal management buyout have both been rumoured, Honda CEO, Takeo Fukui, disclosed at a press conference in Japan that the company’s search for a viable purchaser is still ongoing.

“There are various offers for the team but we have not seen any serious buyer yet,” said Fukui in Tokyo. “We find the sale process difficult.”

Honda also announced on Monday that Fukui will step down from his role as CEO and President of Honda in June, to be replaced by Senior Managing Director Takanobu Ito. Fukui will continue in an advisory role.

Heidfeld: overtaking should be easier in 2009

After sampling the BMW Sauber in dry conditions for the first time at last week’s Bahrain test, Nick Heidfeld believes overtaking should be easier during the 2009 season, thanks to this year’s revised aerodynamic regulations.

“I finally got a chance to actually tail another car. I have the impression that the new aerodynamics are going to make it easier to close in on the driver ahead, just as we had hoped," the German told his official website. "This should certainly make overtaking a lot simpler. I'm hoping that this suspicion will be confirmed over the weeks to come.”

Heidfeld was equally enthusiastic about the other regulation changes, including KERS, the return of slick tyres and the addition of the moveable front wing, and had clearly enjoyed the challenge of adjusting his style of driving to the demands of the new rules.

“Testing this time round has been so much more fun because there are so many new developments to keep up with and I'm learning a lot about the new elements,” he added. “I'm having to adapt my driving style, which partly involves experimentation but also to some extent happens automatically. You're always finding new, hidden potential and that's what makes testing so enjoyable.”

Although the 31 year-old has returned home to Switzerland, he won’t have long to wait until he gets back in the F1.09’s cockpit, with a multi-team test scheduled to take place at the Spanish circuit of Jerez next week.

Force India to unveil new car on Sunday

Force India have announced that their 2009 challenger, the VJM02, will make its track debut at Jerez on Sunday. The car’s unveiling will take place ahead of a multi-team test at the Spanish circuit.

Drivers Giancarlo Fisichella and Adrian Sutil will both be present at the launch of the Mercedes-engined car, which team owner Vijay Mallya hopes will bring them their first Formula One points in 2009.

Force India, formed following Mallya’s takeover of Spyker in late 2007, failed to score last season despite Ferrari power. However, after a management shakeup and the signing of a new technical partnership with McLaren, the team are hoping for bigger things this year.

The majority of Force India’s rivals revealed their new cars last month and only Toro Rosso and the beleaguered Honda team have still to confirm launch dates.

Felipe Massa Q&A - Ferrari will be ‘very competitive’
After coming so close last year, Felipe Massa has returned stronger and more confident that both he and Ferrari have what it takes to challenge for the title this season. Thus far, testing suggests his confidence is well placed. And clearly reenergized, the Brazilian is adopting a simple mantra for 2009 - win races and win the title…

Q: Felipe, this week’s Jerez session is the first test with eight teams running their new cars. Where do you see Ferrari in this context, and which teams are your closest rivals?
Felipe Massa: We are definitely going in the right direction and we are where we wanted to be at the moment. My guess is that we will see four or five teams that will be very competitive and that will make the championship very interesting. That will be McLaren, of course, then Toyota, Red Bull Racing, maybe Renault and maybe BMW, who could be quick as well. But for sure there is still a lot of work to do - the whole team is extremely focused to improve the car. By now I can say that I am quite convinced that we will be very competitive.

Q: Speaking to the other drivers, they seem unanimous that Ferrari is the strongest team right now. Do you feel like you’re the favourite?
FM: No. You don’t feel you’re the favourite. What you feel is that you are in good shape, that you are in the right condition to fight and the right condition to be competitive. I am not the kind of guy who likes to say that we are the best - we are not the best - we are just working to try to win races and win the championship.

Q: There are six more test days left before Melbourne. In what areas do you feel the car can still be improved?
FM: Well, everywhere. There are always margins where you want to improve. We are working in all areas of the car - on the speed, on the reliability, on the consistency. But also I’m working on myself - on the driving style and on finding the right set-up. There are always margins to improve.

Q: There are barely three weeks to go before the grid forms for the Australian Grand Prix. Are you ready?
FM: For sure I would like to do some more testing, as tests are without doubt the best preparation for a race - especially the first. In terms of feeling comfortable in the car - yes, I am ready.

Q: After that heart-stopping finale in Brazil last year, what’s your philosophy for the season ahead?
FM: That is very simple. My philosophy is to win - races and the championship!

Q: You have reportedly said that you would be in favour of testing during the season. Is that correct?
FM: No, I was probably misinterpreted. I have some ideas that maybe the race can be slightly shorter, because in the last 15 laps nobody really cares about the race any more. And as we have seen that Friday is not so important for the show, we could extend the Saturday morning a bit and take away the Friday altogether. In addition to that, we could do two, three or four (test) sessions during the season - not together but separately - and make a ‘testing championship’ and the winner could take a bonus for the championship. Like that, you could have a lot more sponsors following the testing, and of course more media. Maybe we could have a nice practice in the morning and a big qualifying (type session) in the afternoon. I think if everybody gives his opinion and brings together some good ideas, we could make a good championship all together.

Q: Your former team mate Michael Schumacher visited the test on Tuesday. Did you have a conversation?
FM: Yes, there always is. It is always nice to have Michael here. I tried to explain to him all the things we are doing, about the development of the car, the behaviour of the car and the feelings that I have. And I was telling him not to risk too much with the motorbikes!

Looks like Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello will not be Jobless afterall: Future of former Honda team secured

Honda and Ross Brawn have confirmed that they have reached agreement to secure the future of the former Honda Racing F1 Team, with ownership passing to team principal Brawn with immediate effect. Subject to FIA approval, the team will become known as the Brawn GP Formula One Team.

Brawn has agreed a partnership with Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines, Brixworth, UK to supply the team with its 2.4 litre Mercedes-Benz FO108W Formula One engines. This too remains subject to FIA approval.

The team have also confirmed that their race driver line-up for the 2009 season will combine the talents of two of Formula One's most experienced drivers in Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello. The race-winning drivers continue their partnership at the team for a fourth consecutive year, forming the most experienced driver partnership on the grid with 423 Grand Prix starts between them.

Brawn commented: "The past few months have been extremely challenging for the team but today's announcement is the very pleasing conclusion to the strenuous efforts that have been made to secure its future.

"Firstly, it is a great shame that having worked with Honda Motor Company for so long we can no longer continue together. I would like to thank Honda for the fantastic co-operation and support we have received throughout this process - particularly those members of the senior management who were closely involved with concluding our agreement - and for the faith they have demonstrated in myself and our team.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to pay due credit to our staff at Brackley. The levels of motivation and commitment that I have witnessed at the factory deserve the highest praise.

"I am delighted that Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello will form our race driver line-up for the 2009 season. The vast experience and knowledge that both drivers bring to our team will prove invaluable as we aim to get up to speed in the shortest possible time to be ready for the first race of the season in Melbourne on 29 March. In what will be their fourth season together, their experience with our team in Brackley, our systems and our engineers, will prove a real asset.”

Hiroshi Oshima, Managing Officer of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. responsible for Corporate Communications and Motor Sports, commented: "Since announcing our withdrawal from Formula One racing on December 5 of last year, we have conducted various studies and discussions so that the team can continue its activities as a new team. We are very pleased that we could sell the team to Ross Brawn, with whom we have been partaking in the challenges of F1 competition, and are grateful for his decision. We offer our sincerest wishes for the new team which will be led by Ross."

Brawn and the team will now focus its efforts on the remaining pre-season tests, in Barcelona (March 9-12) and Jerez (March 15-17) prior to heading to Melbourne, Australia for the start of the 2009 Formula One season.

Button shakes down new Brawn car at Silverstone

Just hours after it was announced that the former Honda team will compete this season, Ross Brawn’s men were already hard at work shaking down their new car ahead of the season opener later this month. Friday’s private test took place at Silverstone, close to the British team’s Brackley headquarters.

Jenson Button, who has been retained to race for the new team, took charge of the Mercedes-engined BGP 001. Team principal Brawn and Button’s team mate for the 2009 season, Rubens Barrichello, were also in attendance as the team’s on-track preparations for the Australian Grand Prix finally got underway.

Following Friday’s outing the team will journey to Spain, where they will join their rivals and test at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya for four days from Monday.

Driver with most race wins to become 2009 champion

( If this was implemented last season Champ is Massa and not Hamilton)

Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, has approved a change to the points systems for this year’s drivers’ championship, which will see the title awarded to the driver with the most race wins. The rest of the standings, from second to last place, will be decided by the current points system.

If two or more drivers finish the season with the same number of wins, the title will be awarded to the driver with the most points, the allocation of points being based on the existing 10, 8, 6 etc. structure. The constructors’ championship is unaffected.

The FIA’s World Motor Sport Council accepted the proposal for the new system from Formula One Management at a meeting in Paris on Tuesday. An alternative proposal to change the points awarded to drivers finishing in first, second and third place to 12, 9 and 7 points respectively was rejected.

Further changes agreed by the Council included minor tweaks to the testing regulations, increased media duties for teams and drivers at races, and a cost capping option for 2010 (see separate story). Honda’s request to have their entry changed to the Brawn GP Formula One Team was also approved.

The World Motor Sport Council’s decisions in full:

A number of measures were agreed to help reduce costs and increase interest in the FIA Formula One World Championship.

2009 Formula One Regulations

The WMSC accepted the proposal from Formula One Management to award the drivers’ championship to the driver who has won the most races during the season. If two or more drivers finish the season with the same number of wins, the title will be awarded to the driver with the most points, the allocation of points being based on the current 10, 8, 6 etc. system.

The rest of the standings, from second to last place, will be decided by the current points system. There is no provision to award medals for first, second or third place. The Constructors’ Championship is unaffected.

The WMSC rejected the alternative proposal from the Formula One Teams’ Association to change the points awarded to drivers finishing in first, second and third place to 12, 9 and 7 points respectively.

Testing

Teams will be allowed to carry out three one day young driver training tests between the end of the last event of the Championship and 31 December of the same year. Drivers are eligible only if they have not competed in more than two F1 World Championship Events in the preceding 24 months or tested a Formula One car on more than four days in the same 24 month period.

Teams can also conduct eight one day aerodynamic tests carried out on FIA approved straight line or constant radius sites between 1 January 2009 and the end of the last Event of the 2009 Championship.

Media

The FIA will publish the weights of all cars after qualifying at each Event.

For greater clarity for spectators and media, wet tyres have been renamed “intermediate” and extreme-weather tyres renamed “wet”.

On the first day of practice all drivers must be available for autograph signing in their designated team space in the pit lane.

All drivers eliminated in qualifying must make themselves available for media interviews immediately after the end of each session.

Any driver retiring before the end of the race must make himself available for media interviews after his return to the paddock.

All drivers who finish the race outside the top three must make themselves available immediately after the end of the race for media interviews.

During the race every team must make at least one senior spokesperson available for interviews by officially accredited TV crews.

A number of further amendments were adopted for the 2009 Technical Regulations. Full details will be available shortly on www.fia.com.

2010 Formula One Regulations

Budgets

As an alternative to running under the existing rules, which are to remain stable until 2012, all teams will have the option to compete with cars built and operated within a stringent cost cap.

The cost cap is £30m (currently approximately €33 or $42m). This figure will cover all expenditure of any kind. Anything subsidised or supplied free will be deemed to have cost its full commercial value and rigorous auditing procedures will apply.

To enable these cars to compete with those from teams which are not subject to cost constraints, the cost-capped cars will be allowed greater technical freedom.

The principal technical freedoms allowed are as follows:

1. A more aerodynamically efficient (but standard) under body.
2. Movable wings.
3. An engine which is not subject to a rev limit or a development freeze.

The FIA has the right to adjust elements of these freedoms to ensure that the cost-capped cars have neither an advantage nor a disadvantage when compared to cars running to the existing rules.

The Honda Racing F1 Team requested to change its name to the Brawn GP Formula One Team. The WMSC accepted this request on the basis that the team is, in effect, a new entry in the FIA Formula One World Championship. The contract the team had with the FIA was to run as ‘Honda’, which they are no longer in a position to do. However, the standard fee required for a new entry has been waived.

Teams to get technical freedom in exchange for $30m cost cap

The FIA has announced that from 2010, teams will be allowed more technical freedom if they agree to a cost cap of $30million, to cover ‘expenditure of any kind’. Teams will also be free to instead continue running under the existing rules, which are to remain stable until 2012.

The teams that accept the cost cap will be granted technical freedoms in three main areas: a more aerodynamically efficient (but standard) under body; movable wings; and an engine which is not subject to a rev limit or a development freeze.

To ensure that the cost-capped cars have neither an advantage nor a disadvantage when compared to cars running to the existing rules, the FIA will retain the right to adjust elements of these freedoms.

The FIA says the move provides, in essence, a choice between (i) the current freedom to spend and continued adherence to the existing technical constraints and (ii) a new degree of freedom to innovate technically but with a severely restricted budget.

According to the FIA, the aim is to make it easier for new teams to enter and also allow existing teams to participate on much reduced budgets should they so choose.

Hamilton honoured at Buckingham Palace

Although his attention is now firmly focused on his campaign for the forthcoming season, McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton took time to reflect on his title-winning success of 2008 on Tuesday, as he was awarded an MBE by Her Majesty The Queen at Buckingham Palace in London. World champion Hamilton was named in the New Year Honours list in January in recognition of his services to motor racing.

“To go to the Palace today and meet Her Majesty The Queen was an incredible experience, following what has been an intense, exciting and unbelievable 12 months of my life,” said the British driver after receiving his award. “I’m so proud of the reception I have received from everybody in the United Kingdom.

“People’s enthusiasm and support - even during the tough times - really kept me going and helped me through an extremely demanding year. To be recognised alongside the people who make an outstanding and selfless contribution to society, is truly humbling and I’d like to thank Her Majesty The Queen, her Government and the British public for bestowing this honour on me.

“I’d also like to thank my family for sharing my dream and helping to make it a reality. Last but not least, I’d also like to thank my team - Vodafone McLaren Mercedes - for taking a chance on me when I was 13 years old. I still can’t believe I’m in Formula One and that I’m now a world champion - it’s incredible.”

Hamilton was honoured alongside around 120 others, as the Queen officially oversaw the investiture in the Palace’s State Ballroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.