External flash for Oly C7xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raymondb said:
Is your MB20 BC6 a TTL flash ? If it is, then I think you may need the metz adaptor for Olympus model in order to use it in TTL mode.

Also check the voltage of the flash, be sure it won't hurt your C-750.

My 2 cents.
Cheers.
Raymond
http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/mecablitz_20_BC_6.198.html
what's TTL?

how to check e voltage? e box n e instruction manual never state..

sorry.. i'm a complete greenhorn..

koodsim said:
http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/mecablitz_20_BC_6.198.html
what's TTL?

how to check e voltage? e box n e instruction manual never state..

sorry.. i'm a complete greenhorn..

TTL stands for Through-the-lense. A flash which is TTL adjust the intensity of the flash light with the lights that pass through the lense, of the view that you see through the lense. Most of the time, the resultant exposure will be accurate. Auto flashes w/o TTL will have a sensor on the flash, which measure the reflected lights from the subjects and adjust the flash light intensity, without regard to what ever pass through the lense of the camera.
Using auto-flash without TTL will need more thinking and more decisions to be made for the correct exposure.

see the below link for the voltage of your flash (Compiled by someone, not verified):
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Cheers.
Raymond

Yesterday I went down to town to try out the Auto mode on various flash units with my C5050.

Those that produce good result:

1. Nikon SB-28
2. Nikon SB-26
3. Nikon SB-25
4. Nikon SB-22s
5. Sunpak 5000AF for Nikon
6. Vivitar 283
7. Yashica (Can't remember which model)

Those that I couldn't manage to obtain good result

1. Vivitar 285
2. Various Achievers
3. Various Suntax

Those that have only TTL and Manual modes and not the Auto (Not suitable for quick operation on my C5050)

1. All the Canons that I have tested
2. Nikon SB-27

and a Metz that did not even fire off.

I am just sharing and I could be wrong.

chpeck said:
Those that have only TTL and Manual modes and not the Auto (Not suitable for quick operation on my C5050)

1. All the Canons that I have tested
2. Nikon SB-27

and a Metz that did not even fire off.

I am just sharing and I could be wrong.

U mean Nikon SB-27 can TTL with Olympus digicam?

macross said:
U mean Nikon SB-27 can TTL with Olympus digicam?

No. Its the opposite. Only manual mode can be employed on these flash units

guys i need a flash for my C750.. to take pictures of me n my friends in outdoors at night.. the small flash on C750 itself is insufficient.. made all my pics very dark.. so do u all have any recommendations?

koodsim said:
guys i need a flash for my C750.. to take pictures of me n my friends in outdoors at night.. the small flash on C750 itself is insufficient.. made all my pics very dark.. so do u all have any recommendations?

I am presuming that C750 is similar to C5050. If you want brand new, Vivitar 285 is very good at very affortable price and selling for $140 at Alan Photo. 4 Aperture settings (more than enough) and backed with more than 20 years of good track records (283).

If you want to spend a bit more, in Auto mode, the Nikon SB 24, 25, 26, 28, 28DX, 80DXseries are probably the best at a cost (over $300 used).

Other choice may include most Metz, Starblitz etc. and if you have a lot of money to spend, buy a FL-50.

I am a poor guy and I use my C5050 with a Yashica 220 and a bigger National as slave most of the time, both very old. All run in auto mode. Sometimes the auto mode result is better than the built-in TTL which over exposed quite frequently.

I'm also using a METZ MZ32, no longer in production but may be available second hand. Small, compact, tilt and swivel bounce head. (i.e. can bounce for vertical and horizontal shots).

Checkout the sample indoor wedding shots in my humble gallery.

Sorry to jump in to this thread but on the same topic....Can anyone help me? Just bought C770. Already have Vivitar 285. I cannot get the flash (which does work OK) to fire from the C770. Maybe I dont have the setting right on the camera. Can anyone give me any clues?

Would be most grateful for your help.

PhilStone said:
Sorry to jump in to this thread but on the same topic....Can anyone help me? Just bought C770. Already have Vivitar 285. I cannot get the flash (which does work OK) to fire from the C770. Maybe I dont have the setting right on the camera. Can anyone give me any clues?

Would be most grateful for your help.

Have you tried with the camera set to "Manual" mode?

Raymond

Thank you. Setting the C770 to Manual mode makes my Vivitar 285 flash work perfectly.

Hi Phil, are you happy with result of C700 n Vivitar 285 ?
I thought of getting a flash for both indoor n outdoor.
BTW, how much is the 285 ?

Thanks

I am generally happy but at the weekend I was trying to take some photos with the C770 and the 285 flash at a party in a large hall and I wasn't very happy with the results. That's more likely to be due to the settings I used (mostly 1/200 and f5.6 but I also used 1/60 to get more ambient light).

In smaller rooms the camera/flash combination has been fine.

go for emoblitz DS328AZ. Alan Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.