Exploring G12...

samieme

Hey guys,

I have recently bought a G12!

Prior to that i've been using a basic P&S cam and was deciding whether to get a 2nd hand DSLR (to learn) or G11 and was thinking for quite awhile until the G12 was launched. Decided to go for G12 prosumer as i know that i wouldnt have the extra time and money now to explore DSLR...

Anyone out there also using G12 or other pros could advise how to fully maximise the potential of the G12... .. ?

Thanks! I'm a newbie in photography, envy those that shoot reali nice pics and hope to learn along with time (& money)... .. .

*CHEERS*

Anyone out there also using G12 or other pros could advise how to fully maximise the potential of the G12... .. ?
- Read the Newbies Guide, learn the basics of photography
- Read your manual, learn how to operate the camera, learn how the camera works in different modes
- Read up about composition
But.. that's not really depending on G12 or any other model, right? ;)

Anyone snap-on a Raynox on a G12 for close-ups? :)

raydio said:
No.... is it a UWA or macro? How expensive is it?

Not exactly sure of the price, but it is the raynox macro snap onto the filter adaptor. :)

u will need a FA-DC58B filter adapter for the G12 to fit on a raynox filter or any UV/ND/CPL filters. It takes 58mm filters.

try using apature/shutter speed priority, or een manual control. you'll be able to have better control as compared to just shooting with auto. canon powershot G series is awesome, try playing around with the settings and you'll be picking up quickly in no time. i started and learned with a G10, even now i still use it for occasions when i don't feel like bringing bulky equipment around. don't be too worried about the technicals now, just keep shooting and shoot more! have fun shooting and learning! :D

You will be surprise if I tell you a lot of pro photog are using G12. Basically G12 is in between a P&S and DSLR. For instance, if you are on the street, when you saw a very interesting event, immediately you pull a G12 from your pouch and snap it. The pro fall into one word, CONVINIENCE. Of course you can't compare with those top range DSLR such as speed, bokeh and so on. But G12 can offer you quality photos. Personally I think you have make the right choice. G12 can help you to understand some basic setups such as ISO, AV and TV.

My suggestion is take your G12 as a learning tool. Once you have master the G12 settings, then only you consider DSLR. Don't own something because everyone are owning it.

Hey guys, thanks for the valuable advice!
I'm definately learning and trying to get my basics right...
Meanwhile most of my shots are in Auto mode... .. .
My humble blog: www.g12photography.blogspot.com

Below is the shot i took of a surprise visitor yesterday:
IMG_1424.JPG

Auto mode

The bird's eye is blur. When shooting animals, make sure you use AI servo and focus as close to the eye as possible. It's just like taking portraits.

Here are some of the shots i took with my G12... .. .

IMG_1146.jpg

Auto mode

IMG_0734.JPG

M mode: ISO 80 - 1/8s - f8.0 (trying out shutter speed)

IMG_0718.JPG

M mode: ISO 2500 - 0.5s - f4.5 (Attempting night shots)

IMG_0694.JPG

Auto mode - Macro

for your night shots, put your G12 on a tripod or somewhere stable, lower your ISO to 100, set aperture to f8.0 and use long exposure technique.

ISO 2500 produce a lot of noise which explains the little dots in your pic.

btw i dont think G12 has AI Servo?

for your night shots, put your G12 on a tripod or somewhere stable, lower your ISO to 100, set aperture to f8.0 and use long exposure technique.

ISO 2500 produce a lot of noise which explains the little dots in your pic.

btw i dont think G12 has AI Servo?

Hi tecnica,

thanks for the tips, i shall try that tonight and update with the new pic.

btw, would ya be able to elaborate a little more on long exposure technique?

Thanks!

Hmm the move the focus window as close to the eye as possible. In DSLR world, AI servo is continuous focusing. Think you may need to flip thru the menu system and look for AI servo continuous focusing.

From Camera Menu, go to Servo AF, select On. Camera will focus continously on the selected area. This is to track moving subjects.

Hi tecnica,

thanks for the tips, i shall try that tonight and update with the new pic.

btw, would ya be able to elaborate a little more on long exposure technique?

Thanks!
in M mode, set ISO to 100, aperture to f8.0.

shutter speed is depending on how bright/dark the scene is, adjust it until you can get a 0EV reading. at the above stated settings, maybe need >10s of shutter speed.

if the pic still turns out too dark/bright, keep adjusting and shooting until you are happy with the results.