Experience using 300 f2.8 ED IF AIS + TC 301 on DSLR body

AYC Nee

Sep 26, 2006
Jurong
Hi everyone

I have used a 300 f2.8 ED IF AIS on my D600 and I key in non-CPU lens data input as 300 f2.8, and it produces correct exposure and sharp results. However, when I place the TC 301 in the 300 f2.8, I obtain unsharp poorly exposed images (mounted on sturdy tripod).

I have the following questions: I re-key in the non-CPU data as 600 f5.6, is this correct? However, when I set the F number to 2.8, I do not see 5.6 indicated in the view finder, but it shows f11 instead, why is this so? Any response much appreciated.

AYC

Hi everyone

I have used a 300 f2.8 ED IF AIS on my D600 and I key in non-CPU lens data input as 300 f2.8, and it produces correct exposure and sharp results. However, when I place the TC 301 in the 300 f2.8, I obtain unsharp poorly exposed images (mounted on sturdy tripod).

I have the following questions: I re-key in the non-CPU data as 600 f5.6, is this correct? However, when I set the F number to 2.8, I do not see 5.6 indicated in the view finder, but it shows f11 instead, why is this so? Any response much appreciated.

AYC

Wahhh 300 AIS :heart:

I've never tested with TC301 on the bodies so far, but I have mounted CZ types and the camera is able to register accordingly. Since the TC301 is a 2X TC, perhaps you try to register the lense as you mentioned as 600 f/5.6?

Sorry, not much AIS knowledge here.

Any possibility to try the tc301 on another lens. I am suspecting there may be an issue with the tc301 aperture coupling...

Many thanks for the advice. I do not have another lens that could accommodate TC 301 due to its long protruding front element, but I am ordering another TC 301 to see if this is the coupling problem but I strongly suspect this could be the case.

I know AIS is like going back eons ago, but oldies are still goodies and a fraction of the cost of the new 300 f2.8 :)

you could try it with a TC-201 or 200 instead...i'm using this combo with no issue whatsoever...

images uncropped...I know...get the sensor cleaned...

Last edited:
you sure the moon is really that big?

you sure the moon is really that big?

it could have been possible. I've watched a video that was using a set up with over 1000mm in effective focal length, showing a man walking on ropes at a cliff/canyon setting during sunset. The whole video was spectacular (on youtube, for got the title). The full moon itself was MANY MANY times the size of the man.