Ex-Film Photog, First DSLR: D5000/D90/D7000/D300s?

I'm also anticipating a drop in the street prices for a brand new D90 once the D7000 hits the shelves.

What would be a good price for the D90 body in a used condition ijnek?

The ones on the BnS are in the 1000 range andbundled with a Battery Grip. Some with and some without warranty. I definitely need to get a Battery Grip so the deals are good in that sense. Price-wise I'm not too sure though.
if D90 body only + batt grip, I would assume somewhere in the $1000-1050 vicinity.
D90 body only should be in the low 900s now.
There are some for <$900, but I feel that's rather low.

this seems like a decent deal, not yet the "!!! damn good price"

would b sweet if the grip is from nikon.
note there's a lowepro bag which seller has stated, but not sure which model

note on the warranty part, if register online, there should be another 3 mths...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794750

Last edited:
Thanks for the headsup on that deal ijnek!!! Unfortunately just SMS'd the seller. It's been reserved =(

@ZeriocoolAstra: My budget at the moment is a quite flexible, but I don't want to waste my hard-earned dough haha! So I'm looking for bang for buck. Certainly don't mind spending more for a camera I can keep for longer (and if its really worth the extra dough).
Apologies for the cryptic answer! I'd rather look at the options available and adjust my budget accordingly. I had the same approach with high-end audio and was out of the money too many times. Guess it's time to change my approach haha!

For a camera that I would have to (or want to) upgrade in 1-1.5 years (due to new updates from Nikon esp on the Pro/Semi-Pro cameras) I don't want to part with more than 1000-1200 for camera + body.

For something I can use for the next 3-4 years without feeling the pinch to upgrade up to 2000-3000.

Unfortunately I haven't dabbled with digital seriously, to err on the side of caution I think it would be wiser to invest less then as my preferences are more fine tuned I can go in the whole shebang and spend loads haha!

Many thanks once again to all you fine gents (& ladies)! Really appreciate your friendly advice! ClubSnap is a great forum on the interwebs for sure!

ya...good deal hard to come by, so if u think u r ok with a particular deal, then grab it.

anyway, good luck hunting.
welcome back to photography :D

Thanks for the headsup on that deal ijnek!!! Unfortunately just SMS'd the seller. It's been reserved =(

@ZeriocoolAstra: My budget at the moment is a quite flexible, but I don't want to waste my hard-earned dough haha! So I'm looking for bang for buck. Certainly don't mind spending more for a camera I can keep for longer (and if its really worth the extra dough).
Apologies for the cryptic answer! I'd rather look at the options available and adjust my budget accordingly. I had the same approach with high-end audio and was out of the money too many times. Guess it's time to change my approach haha!

For a camera that I would have to (or want to) upgrade in 1-1.5 years (due to new updates from Nikon esp on the Pro/Semi-Pro cameras) I don't want to part with more than 1000-1200 for camera + body.

For something I can use for the next 3-4 years without feeling the pinch to upgrade up to 2000-3000.

Unfortunately I haven't dabbled with digital seriously, to err on the side of caution I think it would be wiser to invest less then as my preferences are more fine tuned I can go in the whole shebang and spend loads haha!

Many thanks once again to all you fine gents (& ladies)! Really appreciate your friendly advice! ClubSnap is a great forum on the interwebs for sure!

ok I get what you mean :)
But still good to set a range that you try not to exceed.
For example, if your budget is $3000, then obviously D700 is out of the question.
But $3000 can get you a D90 + batt grip + Tokina 11-16/2.8 + 35/1.8DX + SB600, all new.
I'm just giving you an example, of course. You may not like ANY of these lenses/flash.

Tell me about it! That's the thing about buying second hand. Gotta hunt hard to get a good deal. Oh well that's the price one has to pay! But I'd really like to get one before I fly off to china in dec. Might be heading back stateside so I can check out B&H when I stop by New York.

Gents do let me know if you have anyone looking to offload their d90 :)

Budget wise yeah I'd like to keep it under 3grand. Lens wise I'd only get the 35mm f2 tho the yet to be released f1.4 AF-S look tempting tho would probably cost a bomb. No flash and all for me as yet. More of a natural light shooter hence the need for fast lens :)

AFS 35mm f/1.4G would pretty much blow your budget. There'd only be enough leftover to buy a really used D80 body! :eek:

not feasible.

Do think about whether you're ok to stick with DX for some time. My reasoning is that if you're sticking with DX, then you can forget about the "buy FX lens for future use" mindset. For 35mm, the 35/1.8DX is much more suitable. It's sharper, faster, and cheaper than the 35/2.

If you're a primes kinda guy, then for $3K you could get D300s + 35/1.8DX + 50/1.8 within budget. And have a bit leftover for dry cabinet and some accessories.
Need to buy a tripod? Then you must set aside budget for that too...

primes...i would consider the 50 f/1.8 cos it's cheap n good, the af-s 35 f/1.8 dx too :D

i like food photography, so the af-s 85 f/3.5 dx vr is my option too... :D

i think if u buy everything second hand you won't loose too much. if yr gg state side check out craigslist. i got my 17-35 and 80-200 af-s for a steal. anyhow, if you ll looking long term, then its probably better to go for good lenses that you ll keep instead. considering yr budget n tt yr a prime person some suggestions:

tokina 20-35 2.8 or tamron 17-35 for general zoom and cover the wider end. or just 20 f2.8
35 f2 (or pre AI)
50 1.8 (or AIS)
85 1.8 (or f2 AIS)
tokina 100 2.8 macro (or nikkor 105 2.5 AIS)

if yr the kinda guy who likes manual focus and primes... like me. then there is alot of stuff out there to play with at very decent prices. nikko 105 1.8, 135 f2, 35 1.4, 50 1.2, 28 f2, 24 f2.... all very nice.

tot id just share cos my own kit was e tokina 20-35, 35 f2, 50 1.2, 105 2.5, 135 f2. it covered me for a long long time.. infact.. if i weren't such a gear head id probably just need one 85 to be set for life..

1 more question for everyone: Is getting a 2nd hand camera a wise move? Spoke to a few shutterbug friends who kept advising me to go brand new instead of buying used as the SC is hard to judge since it can be reset. They also said most of the used bodies might have a much higher risk of failing and I'd be left high and dry.

@ZerocoolAstra: Yesiree I think that 35mm f1.4 would blow a giant black hole haha! Will have to save those goodies for later. The kit you mentioned sounds like something up my alley! 35mm for general walk-around and 50mm to really get close.

@ijnek: Oh yes that 50mm f1.8 is dirt cheap. I had one of the older versions for my FM2n. Excellent optics. The great thing about primes is the fantastic quality you get for the price!

@Ben Ang: Yeah bro I'm planning on going 2nd hand to minimise losses when I sell to upgrade. Though my friends keep advising me not to go the 2nd hand route. They say most of the cameras being sold second hand have very high shutter counts. And there's no sure fire method of verifying the SC since it can be reset =(

Many thanks for the lens suggestions mate! I'm taking notes religiously! I most definitely am a prime lens guy who prefers manual focus! With film it was easier with a nice big bright viewfiner. The cheaper DSLRs tend to have crummy viewfinders (at least the ones I tried). D90 onwards it gets better. By the way, is a sole 85mm too long a range for you, esp on a DX camera?

from what i know, sc in camera can only be reset by NSC.. unless someone is a hacker. if u really need to check, ask the guy to take a picture or the com screen with the pm or sms you sent him in jpeg. ask him send str8 to you without any processing. upload of flikr and check the exif. theres a part that says shutter count. i use that method to check my sc.

or.. bring yr computer and do it yrself during the meet up. macs got free internet to use. can also dl exif viewers. that way he can't change the image exif cos you re doing the reading.

1 more question for everyone: Is getting a 2nd hand camera a wise move? Spoke to a few shutterbug friends who kept advising me to go brand new instead of buying used as the SC is hard to judge since it can be reset. They also said most of the used bodies might have a much higher risk of failing and I'd be left high and dry.

@ZerocoolAstra: Yesiree I think that 35mm f1.4 would blow a giant black hole haha! Will have to save those goodies for later. The kit you mentioned sounds like something up my alley! 35mm for general walk-around and 50mm to really get close.

@ijnek: Oh yes that 50mm f1.8 is dirt cheap. I had one of the older versions for my FM2n. Excellent optics. The great thing about primes is the fantastic quality you get for the price!

@Ben Ang: Yeah bro I'm planning on going 2nd hand to minimise losses when I sell to upgrade. Though my friends keep advising me not to go the 2nd hand route. They say most of the cameras being sold second hand have very high shutter counts. And there's no sure fire method of verifying the SC since it can be reset =(

Many thanks for the lens suggestions mate! I'm taking notes religiously! I most definitely am a prime lens guy who prefers manual focus! With film it was easier with a nice big bright viewfiner. The cheaper DSLRs tend to have crummy viewfinders (at least the ones I tried). D90 onwards it gets better. By the way, is a sole 85mm too long a range for you, esp on a DX camera?

.... By the way, is a sole 85mm too long a range for you, esp on a DX camera?

1) Most of my stuff is 2nd (or 3rd) hand. So far (touch wood), I haven't had issues with it. I guess I could call myself a relatively light user.
Shutter count is not something you should be overly concerned with, unlike say... the mileage reading from a car's odometer. A professional could easily blitz 10K shutter actuations in like... a month(?), whereas a hobbyist like myself might take > 1 year to do it. In that one year, a lot of things can age within the camera. PCB contacts may start to corrode etc... So it's not really so much about shutter count.

2) My 85 prime is nice to have, though it sees sparing use as I tend to prefer wide angles for most of my shots. The Tokina 12-24 f/4 is on my camera approx 90% of the time! :)

* lastly, don't forget that a 35mm lens on a DX camera (..., D90, D300s, D7000) gives an equiv field of view of 52.5mm (1.5x) on a film camera. As you're used to a film SLR, beware the FOV difference.

from what i know, sc in camera can only be reset by NSC.. unless someone is a hacker. if u really need to check, ask the guy to take a picture or the com screen with the pm or sms you sent him in jpeg. ask him send str8 to you without any processing. upload of flikr and check the exif. theres a part that says shutter count. i use that method to check my sc.

or.. bring yr computer and do it yrself during the meet up. macs got free internet to use. can also dl exif viewers. that way he can't change the image exif cos you re doing the reading.

Ah! Thanks for the reply Ben! Btw excellent images on your blog! Will try to do this when checking out the second hand deals. Great advice sir!

1) Most of my stuff is 2nd (or 3rd) hand. So far (touch wood), I haven't had issues with it. I guess I could call myself a relatively light user.
Shutter count is not something you should be overly concerned with, unlike say... the mileage reading from a car's odometer. A professional could easily blitz 10K shutter actuations in like... a month(?), whereas a hobbyist like myself might take > 1 year to do it. In that one year, a lot of things can age within the camera. PCB contacts may start to corrode etc... So it's not really so much about shutter count.

2) My 85 prime is nice to have, though it sees sparing use as I tend to prefer wide angles for most of my shots. The Tokina 12-24 f/4 is on my camera approx 90% of the time! :)

* lastly, don't forget that a 35mm lens on a DX camera (..., D90, D300s, D7000) gives an equiv field of view of 52.5mm (1.5x) on a film camera. As you're used to a film SLR, beware the FOV difference.

That's great news ZerocoolAstra! I hope to get the same luck with my future used purchases. I guess with the lower end cameras, it might be safer since SC figures are probably gonna be lower. But like you said other factors come into play as well so I'm crossing my fingers.

Over the past few days I've had the pleasure of using the Nikon D5000 and D3100 (albeit for only a short period of time). After shooting some 20-30 shots, I was started to get a hang of the feel. Yes it is smaller but not as bad as the Canon bodies (hell maybe its placebo but somehow Nikons always feel more comfy in my paws).

I guess part of the magic was the 35mm F1.8 lens AF-S DX. It's a positively tiny package (for a DSLR that is). This has got me thinking that maybe a D3100 or D5000 aren't too bad after all. I could bring my camera everywhere I go this way.

If I got a larger camera I might not be able to bring it around as much. But with a smaller body I wouldn't have to rely on my iPhone to catch those "Decisive Moments".

I'm gonna post another thread to get a feel for this option.

Hopefully I can snag another chance to try out these smaller cameras for an extended period of time. Either that or I'll just break down and get one of these. Then once I outgrow them I could pass on the shutter-bug syndrome to my girlfriend. Hmmm the lengths we go to justify our purchases....

Once again thanks a million gentlemen!

Over the past few days I've had the pleasure of using the Nikon D5000 and D3100 (albeit for only a short period of time). After shooting some 20-30 shots, I was started to get a hang of the feel. Yes it is smaller but not as bad as the Canon bodies (hell maybe its placebo but somehow Nikons always feel more comfy in my paws).

I guess part of the magic was the 35mm F1.8 lens AF-S DX. It's a positively tiny package (for a DSLR that is). This has got me thinking that maybe a D3100 or D5000 aren't too bad after all. I could bring my camera everywhere I go this way.

If I got a larger camera I might not be able to bring it around as much. But with a smaller body I wouldn't have to rely on my iPhone to catch those "Decisive Moments".

As you prefer a small DSLR body that could bring along everywhere you want to go, between D3100 or D5000, I recommend you to go to D3100.
D3100 is improvement from both D3000 and D5000.

Just my 2 cents :)

Tell me about it! That's the thing about buying second hand. Gotta hunt hard to get a good deal. Oh well that's the price one has to pay! But I'd really like to get one before I fly off to china in dec. Might be heading back stateside so I can check out B&H when I stop by New York.

Gents do let me know if you have anyone looking to offload their d90 :)

Budget wise yeah I'd like to keep it under 3grand. Lens wise I'd only get the 35mm f2 tho the yet to be released f1.4 AF-S look tempting tho would probably cost a bomb. No flash and all for me as yet. More of a natural light shooter hence the need for fast lens :)

Ex-Film Shooter, I think you like blues. :) Anyway I would recommend get the D90 or refurbished D300 from B&H / Adorama. Save the money for good glass, flash and accessories. On DX + low light, I suggest 35/1.8.