Ever face this problem with your friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a friend who saw me always going out shooting and decided to try it out as a hobby. So he asked me if it is expensive. Unable to give a good answer, I replied to him that it depends on him much money and time he is able to dedicate to it. But if to polish his photograhpy skill, even a simple PNS can take some good photos. I intended to ask him try out with a manual PNS first.

Next month he pop up with a Sony A350 or A330 with kit lens, I was like :eek:. He ask me what is need to maintain his camera, so I tell him a blower, a microfibre cloth and a dry cabinet. He started complaining photography is so expensive. I was a bit :sweat:. He then went out shooting on his own. Then he compare and complain why his photo doesn't turn out like mine. So I ask him to point out one of my photo and compare. I explained that I use a faster lens for the DOF with external flash and ommibounce for the shot. He ask me how much it cost, I explained to him that it is quite costly for a fast lens and a external flash cost at least 200+ approximate. He complain about the cost of photography again.

Next month his entu level drop alot and rarely ask anymore about photography... :(

Is it my fault for misleading?

He's an Idiot, don't worry about it

Nah, he isn't that bad. He just likes to whine a bit and have a bad habit of following the market/ crowd. Anyway how much does a Noctilux cost?:think: I never bother checking something so out of my budget.:sweatsm:
you are really a good friend to him indeed, despite he don't appreciate what you have done for him and being such a whiner.

his is a worst friend that you can find., should nominate him for "worst friend 2010"

telll him how much u had spend over ur gear. lol

At least he whines. While mine, after he jumped from PNS to DSLR...his infection on the BBB virus becomes worse and it created a new strain...the BBBBBBBBBBBB virus and brought me along with him. Dammit.

regarding my recommendation of book, you don't quite get it, do you?

hmmmm.....oh.......nope, because I use to read books like that. :)

Ultimately, what i feel is this:

Sometimes, our friend might be damn one kind, but what kind of a friend are we ourselves during such times? :)

Last edited:
Should have told him yes in the first place. Even those starting from PnS will upgrade eventually. :)

it *is* still expensive, but no one ever said that hobbies had to be cheap.

also, what you make of the hobby, whether it improves you personally as a person or is just an excuse to embrace your lust and justify it.......... that also matters to me, i think.

of course, people always have the choice to do whatever they want with their money :) it's theirs after all, but i'm also entitled to think what i think of them.

When I first started mountain biking, I used a 3rd or 4th hand very cheap fixed frame bike ... then when I got the hang of it, and became very excited with stories my friends kept telling me of their riding adventures, I plonked $1.5k for a steel-framed full suspension mountain bike from Taiwan ... with 3rd rate components.

When I discovered my riding comfort was not as good as it should be, I started upgrading all the parts and components to titanium-laced parts. 3 years later, I ordered a full-titanium frame bike ... but in the end, I am still just an amateur, and most other motorists on the road don't respect me. There are no terrain like those found in Moab, Colorado. Even had been knocked down by a Mercedes when he was reversing on the main thoroughfare just because he missed his slip road exit!

My lesson learnt - basic tools are good enough if you know your skills.

As such, don't need to plonk down so much money on all the fancy stuff! Just only use what you need and have. My 2cents.

Cheers!

I have friends that do the opposite.
They bought a D700, some bought 5DMKII as their 1st cam.

Actually, there is no right and wrong to me...
We see things differently. we do things differently. We can afford one differently.
When someone drives a performance car, does one buy one as well?

Some say equipment not important some say yes some say to a certain extend.

Yes, the man behind is the man but using a light weight bike frame versus heavy frame bike who has an advantage?

So in photography, when you have a better cam it somewhat helps that some much...

To me, photography is an ART, thus, it is an individual perspective.

Enjoy snapping everyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.