EOS M: M for Mirrorless

I know ;-) that's why I was trying to say the NEX isn't any faster than the EOS M as it is now already.

Are you sure? What I know is my NEX's AF is faster than EOS-M (tried a friend's EOS M, and he also agree), anyway I'm using 18-55, not sure about prime

Are you sure? What I know is my NEX's AF is faster than EOS-M (tried a friend's EOS M, and he also agree), anyway I'm using 18-55, not sure about prime

I tested the EOS-M at Sitex... It is DEFINITELY slower than NEX system... Period... :cool:

chicklit said:

Yup, I am sure from what I tested compared to my NEX-5N but of course I can only speak for myself. When it comes to AF overall performance I would prefer the EOS M over the NEX-5R/6 at the moment. Of course modern Micro Four Thirds cameras are in a different league.

Yup, I am sure from what I tested compared to my NEX-5N but of course I can only speak for myself. When it comes to AF overall performance I would prefer the EOS M over the NEX-5R/6 at the moment. Of course modern Micro Four Thirds cameras are in a different league.

Seriously? I am very sure it is slower than my previously owned NEX 7... :bsmilie:

Thoth said:
Seriously? I am very sure it is slower than my previously owned NEX 7... :bsmilie:

Might depend on the lens, I use the NEX-5N only with the E 30mm f/3.5 and the E 16mm f/2.8 and those lenses are horribly slow.

Last edited:
Might depend on the lens, I use the NEX-5N only with the E 30mm f/2.8 and the E 16mm f/2.8 and those lenses are horribly slow.

U mean the Sigma 30/2.8? Hmm... I know the 19/2.8 & SEL 50/1.8 focus in a snap of the finger on the NEX 7... Seriously, someone should make a video comparing EOS-M on the 50/1.8 lens and NEX 7 on the 50/1.8 lens. :bsmilie:

Thoth said:
U mean the Sigma 30/2.8? Hmm... I know the 19/2.8 & SEL 50/1.8 focus in a snap of the finger on the NEX 7... Seriously, someone should make a video comparing EOS-M on the 50/1.8 lens and NEX 7 on the 50/1.8 lens. :bsmilie:

No, I meant the E 30mm f/3.5.

No, I meant the E 30mm f/3.5.

Scroll up n see what u typed bro... Haha... so it's 30/3.5 and not the 30/2.8 as u had typed previously ya?? :confused:

Thoth said:
Scroll up n see what u typed bro... Haha... so it's 30/3.5 and not the 30/2.8 as u had typed previously ya?? :confused:

lol, I wrote f/3.5 in my latter post and I correct the previous post.

lol, I wrote f/3.5 in my latter post and I correct the previous post.

Yeah... managed to catch your previous quote before u changed... LOL

If you said "your preference" is EOS-M AF, I has nothing to say
But honestly I'm shocked that somebody said NEX AF slower than EOS-M. All the people I know always agree with me that the current EOS-M is notoriously slow.

Anyway, since we r in the topic of AF speed, check this video out...

Fuji X Pro1 vs. or Sony Nex-7 vs. or Olympus OM-D E-M5: compared: which one to get - YouTube

;p

Though, that's the X-Pro1 before the huge firmware update that brought the AF speed to NEX level.

If you said "your preference" is EOS-M AF, I has nothing to say
But honestly I'm shocked that somebody said NEX AF slower than EOS-M. All the people I know always agree with me that the current EOS-M is notoriously slow.
Who said that? Nobody here, I said they are equal, in real world.

Last edited:
ageha said:
Though, that's the X-Pro1 before the huge firmware update that brought the AF speed to NEX level.

Who said that? Nobody here, I said they are equal, in real world.

Eos-m equals to NEX in real world?? Not to my experience though.

Eos-m equals to NEX in real world?? Not to my experience though.

Agree. More like EOS-M equals Fuji X100 in real world.

No idea why you guys hate Canon so much. ;) I think you need more shooting experiences with all of those cameras. ;)

Nothing to do with emotions lar. Trying to be objective here. I have experience with NEX and the Fuji X100 as I owned them before. For EOS-M I haven't bought it because I didn't like what I experienced with the AF. I'm a Canon user by the way.

Nothing to do with emotions lar. Trying to be objective here. I have experience with NEX and the Fuji X100 as I owned them before. For EOS-M I haven't bought it because I didn't like what I experienced with the AF. I'm a Canon user by the way.

I'm not a Canon user but I think the EOS M's AF is underrated. Btw I am a NEX-5N user. ;)

I'm not a Canon user but I think the EOS M's AF is underrated. Btw I am a NEX-5N user. ;)

Not bashing canon in any ways, just giving my perspective that the AF is really slower than NEX or OMD. Even the updated firmware X Pro 1 and my X-E1 seems to AF faster than the EOS-M. The touch screen AF is pretty kool like the 5N but I think an updated firmware on the EOS-M is needed to at least match X Pro 1 or X-E1 in terms of AF if not able to match NEX or OMD.

Seriously, canon is supposed to haf the best AF system looking at how 5DM3 performed against D800 and D600. So improving the AF on the EOS-M is possible.

Seriously, canon is supposed to haf the best AF system looking at how 5DM3 performed against D800 and D600. So improving the AF on the EOS-M is possible.
lol, I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. Those systems don't have much in common outside of the marketing world. ;)