EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Santaclaus! those are exactly the lenses i plan to get:D:D:D:D 24-105mm then 10-22mm then 17-55mm then 70-200mm!!!!! maybe some primes in between

the 17-55 and 24-105 really complement each other in a very big way, in my experience.

it's all about choosing the best tool for the job.

I'm using a Vitacon HMC Superslim UV(0) filter with my new 17-55mm on a 40D and I'm not wowed by the IQ compared to my previous 17-85mm.

Is my filter too cheap for the lens? What's an optimal general purpose filter to pair with the lens?

Last edited:
I'm using a Vitacon HMC Superslim UV(0) filter with my new 17-55mm on a 40D and I'm not wowed by the IQ compared to the 17-85mm.

Is my filter too cheap for the lens? What's an optimal general purpose filter to pair with the lens?

invest in a better filter, you don't want a cheap one that will degrade the IQ on a good lens. have you try to compare using the 17-55 w/wo the filter on?

they shld do a EF-S 17-85 F 2.8 IS USM or a EF 17-85 F2.8 L IS USM. Heheheh. That zoom range is best. Wide and Mid Range Zoom. Add F2.8, IS and USM. Own liao. But sure need rob bank to get one. Maybe Tamron shld do that one. Replace the 17-50 and 28-75 together.

Santaclaus! those are exactly the lenses i plan to get:D:D:D:D 24-105mm then 10-22mm then 17-55mm then 70-200mm!!!!! maybe some primes in between

BBB and make it into your signature. :thumbsup:

invest in a better filter, you don't want a cheap one that will degrade the IQ on a good lens. have you try to compare using the 17-55 w/wo the filter on?

What do you suggest? I had a B+W UV for my 17-85mm. How much would a B+W UV 77mm filter cost? Or would Hoya pro series 1 digital UV be better?

What do you suggest? I had a B+W UV for my 17-85mm. How much would a B+W UV 77mm filter cost? Or would Hoya pro series 1 digital UV be better?

i bought mine at 130bucks at CP few months ago for the B+W MRC version.
the Hoya digital 1 series is gd enough. :)

yup thats right..

before the price hike, my friend bought it for $1260. now i think most shops will quote you between 1.5k and 1.55k..

MAS just announced plans to let the Sing $ devalue...

We may soon see another price 'hike' on Japanese products, be it lenses or even cars... :(

MAS just announced plans to let the Sing $ devalue...

We may soon see another price 'hike' on Japanese products, be it lenses or even cars... :(

Yup.... just when I've plan a trip overseas..... now have to pay more..... :(

Even the $$$, I would complement the 17-55 with a 70-200 f4 IS USM, but that is the max weight + no. of lenses I will seriously carry on a trip. Currently make do with the 55-250, but it's a little troublesome to change lenses, esp when you see the IQ drop from 17-55 to 55-250! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.