EF 50mm f/1.8 II worth to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased mine at The Camera Workshop last night and i'm definitely happy with the amount of money i spent and the quality of the pictures.Definitely two thumbs up from me.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Go to the shop and try it before you decide what you truly want.;)

All shot with 50mm on a 1.6x crop sensor.

362155524_b38811d138.jpg

362153974_e2e4ce98ca.jpg

343464581_fbd8ada370.jpg

343463907_a4b9aaff20.jpg

wah... u sure have an eye for young punks :bsmilie:

wah... u sure have an eye for young punks :bsmilie:

I shoot for church events; some of those people in the photos are my friends, not young punks, as you put it.

How much u buy har ? :)

$130 from Cathay @ Peninsular, 2 weeks ago..

50mm is not a lens for group shots. more for portrait :lovegrin: even at 24mm on 1.6x I feel it is too long for group shots.. you need at least 17mm :lovegrin:

Ah, already stated that mah.. why repeat what I said? :sweatsm:

I actually used it for 5~6 ppl framing and I stood really far away :bsmilie: Another problem with it is (stupid me anyway) to use big aperture to shoot, resulting in small DoF.. LOL~ It works fine if everyone stands in a line @ same focal length.. haha

All these, reason being, too lazy to change lens =P

Cheers!

I bought mine to use on my film SLR. Now on a 1.6x crop i feel its a bit neither here nor there. I'd rather get either a 30/35mm prime or a longer one at 85mm or even a long macro. (when i have the $$$)

Its value for money but IMHO nowadays i feel i have less practical use for it.

My answer is yes...just buy it.
Hope you will have fun with it after you bought it...I have a lot of fun with mine.;)

$130 from Cathay @ Peninsular, 2 weeks ago..

Ah, already stated that mah.. why repeat what I said? :sweatsm:

I actually used it for 5~6 ppl framing and I stood really far away :bsmilie: Another problem with it is (stupid me anyway) to use big aperture to shoot, resulting in small DoF.. LOL~ It works fine if everyone stands in a line @ same focal length.. haha

All these, reason being, too lazy to change lens =P

Cheers!

$130 seem to be the standard rate. any where close to $100?

$121 is the lowest I have seen so far for this Prime

All shot with 50mm on a 1.6x crop sensor.

362155524_b38811d138.jpg

362153974_e2e4ce98ca.jpg

343464581_fbd8ada370.jpg

343463907_a4b9aaff20.jpg

#1 seems a little underexposed
#2 is the white balance ok? They seem a little green
#3 is beautiful
#4 I like this one, are the boy and the lady related? They look similar and even have the same expression.

Sharp images!

sorry, couldn't resist.

#1 seems a little underexposed
#2 is the white balance ok? They seem a little green
#3 is beautiful
#4 I like this one, are the boy and the lady related? They look similar and even have the same expression.

Sharp images!

sorry, couldn't resist.

Heh it's alright. I didn't do any PP for these. These were back when I shot jpg for everything.

For #2, I think my cam was confused by the mixed lighting in the sanctuary. The main portion is lit by tungsten colour temp lights, while the sides are lit by fluorescents.

I believe the people in #4 are mother and son.

Worth it if you know how to use it, and use it frequently.

Agreed. The fulfillment from getting a good photo from this lens has made it worth every cent and more.

hi, just searched internet for comparison between 50mm f/1.8II vs. f/1.4
also saw in the sample picture comparison that 1.4 has better color and bokeh.

but just wondering, howcome also got few comments saying that 1.8 produce better picture and that the 1.4 produces soft picture at wide-open.

any comment from sifu2 here?

(cos i am bidding for the 1.4 now :sweat:)

After I got 24-105L, this lens has been sitting in the dry cabinet. Nevertheless, it is a good lens at that unbelivable price point. Just have to find low light occasion to use it again.

For me the use of this lens is quite versatile. Besides serving as a good portrait lens. I do quite a number of macros with it: using extension tubes, reverse-coupling with another telelens, and reverse-mounting using a coupling ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.