DXO Grades the K5!

agreed. Actually all I wanted to do at first was to point out that k-5 has raw NR at ISO3200 so one has to be careful when doing his comparison. There are some pentax users who are unaware of this fact. Not that it is very impt but useful to know nonetheless.

Oh and there are different kinds of people in CS. Some are photographers, while other are gear heads who shoot brickwalls all day. I am gear head 95% of the time.

bro, the thing is, you think it's important to know, if people look at the photo and they are happy, and it suits their purposes... then it will not be useful for them... because they look at what you're saying (which is technical, i don't understand it but i'll take your word for it), and they look at their pictures, and iso3200 IS clean, so what are you yakking on about? :bsmilie:

at the end of the day, if my 3200 pictures are usable, frankly speaking, i don't really give a damn whether NR raw is compromised or not.

this is a iso3200 shot from the k-r of a cat's eye

cateyecrop.jpg

you claim it does this, that, whatever... for me, that's enough detail left for me to work with.

Almost every spec of a camera is subjective because of different preferences among users. If forced NR still produces decent enough images for most people than its good enough for them. Won't be good enough for users who want the rawest untouched data from the sensor but there you go, one product can't appease everybody equally.

All I said it was that NR kills details which is bad TO ME. I prefer to do the NR myself on the PC.

I have never said that it was unusable. I have mentioned right in the beginning that
"Not that I am saying K-5 high ISO is poor. Even considering that, I still think that it is the BEST high ISO APS-C camera out there. "

But IF you are a gear head using High ISO raw files for comparison, then it is impt to know that NR has been applied. That is just my point which I keep repeating.... even until now....

BTW, if you actually searched my post with pentax in it for the past few months, some of them are recommendations for the k-r / k-5 as the best aps-c camera out there.

If the basis of image comparisons at ISO is rejected, then there will be no basis to compare anything. I have to agree that camera manufacturers do have a lot of leeway in specifying the ISO on the camera datasheet though.

that is what dxomarks trying to do yah. to measure the real ISO and compare the full SNR curve. although ppl might not agree their results, but the idea seems reasonable, i.e. not to simply compare two image of the same nominating ISO.

bro, the thing is, you think it's important to know, if people look at the photo and they are happy, and it suits their purposes... then it will not be useful for them... because they look at what you're saying (which is technical, i don't understand it but i'll take your word for it), and they look at their pictures, and iso3200 IS clean, so what are you yakking on about? :bsmilie:

at the end of the day, if my 3200 pictures are usable, frankly speaking, i don't really give a damn whether NR raw is compromised or not.

this is a iso3200 shot from the k-r of a cat's eye

you claim it does this, that, whatever... for me, that's enough detail left for me to work with.

exactly, it's just a tool and we don't need to use a screwdriver to take out the sensor, freeze the electrical status and use some DIY external machine to read out the number of electrons in each pixel of the sensor ... just to avoid any AA filter, NR, etc etc.

Guys, give it a rest. alantkh has spoken his points of view, you have already given yours, so SHUT UP AND POST SOME PICS!

BTW, I attended at one of the Pentax outings (that night shoot that started out from City Hall last Friday), the K-5 is superbly silent. Grip & feel of the body is solid, the pictures come out really nice. Nothing I can say bad about the K-5. The DxOMark scores are a nice bonus, but doesn't retract from the fact that Pentax has made a cameraman's camera.

As an amateur photographer, I have seen people taking nice shots from *ist series, so image quality & all that number-crunching deals are moot. All in all, you give a D3/K-5 to a monkey, you get monkey-quality images: full of dreg.

P.S. I come from a Canon camera, & the last "cameraman's camera" that my brand has made is the EOS 40D, IMO. I find its newer iterations crap, and it's good that Pentax has shaken the rest of the competition with this DxO rating. I'd still take my Canon, because I am perfectly happy with it, even though it cannot capture as many stops of dynamic range as the K-5.

I may intend to invest in a Pentax in the future, but judging from the wave of K-5 reviews, I'm expecting the price markup of their lenses to shoot up significantly.

Guys, give it a rest. alantkh has spoken his points of view, you have already given yours, so SHUT UP AND POST SOME PICS!

BTW, I attended at one of the Pentax outings (that night shoot that started out from City Hall last Friday), the K-5 is superbly silent. Grip & feel of the body is solid, the pictures come out really nice. Nothing I can say bad about the K-5. The DxOMark scores are a nice bonus, but doesn't retract from the fact that Pentax has made a cameraman's camera.

As an amateur photographer, I have seen people taking nice shots from *ist series, so image quality & all that number-crunching deals are moot. All in all, you give a D3/K-5 to a monkey, you get monkey-quality images: full of dreg.

P.S. I come from a Canon camera, & the last "cameraman's camera" that my brand has made is the EOS 40D, IMO. I find its newer iterations crap, and it's good that Pentax has shaken the rest of the competition with this DxO rating. I'd still take my Canon, because I am perfectly happy with it, even though it cannot capture as many stops of dynamic range as the K-5.

I may intend to invest in a Pentax in the future, but judging from the wave of K-5 reviews, I'm expecting the price markup of their lenses to shoot up significantly.

Prices for the lenses have alread gone skyhigh for about a year already but we are still getting the lenses we want. The DA35mm F2.4 is by far the cheapest now.

I for one was eyeing the FA77mm F1.8 Limited a year and a half ago and the price was only $900, but when I finally bought it in June this year, the price had gone to $1280. That is almost $400 increase but I still bought it although I have not used it as yet. I have been using the FA43mm more

well, i haven't been buying any new lens since.... damn long.

maybe i'll get the 35mm f/2.4 to play next month.

most of my lenses cost under $400, save the 10-20 + 10-17 FE. :bsmilie:

but then again, i don't really have that many lenses. :bsmilie:

I for one was eyeing the FA77mm F1.8 Limited a year and a half ago and the price was only $900, but when I finally bought it in June this year, the price had gone to $1280. That is almost $400 increase but I still bought it although I have not used it as yet. I have been using the FA43mm more

U buy the 77mm for $1280 :bheart: Wah true pentaxian... :thumbsup:

i cannot imagine paying for it...

maybe i'll get the 35mm f/2.4 to play next month.

since when u play with lens.... must be getting rich nowadays... :bsmilie:

Seems the advantage is really low noise floor at lower ISOs. High ISO performance is similar to other brands and models. Of course, DXO mark itself is still debatable.

So the K5 scores high, 14 Ev. Likewise, D7000 scores a 13.9 Ev.

If I look at the chart, 14 EV is when you shoot at a ISO below 100. It drops to 11 EV at ISO800.

So, ask yourself, what ISO range you usually shoot?

Please share with me the situation and scenes when we need high DR at high ISO? I am learning.

If I look at the chart, 14 EV is when you shoot at a ISO below 100. It drops to 11 EV at ISO800.

Please share with me the situation and scenes when we need high DR at high ISO? I am learning.

when you are on a boat, and it is moving, and you want to catch the sunset.

Simple sunset photo of your GF/Wife/etc, hand held since you only brought the camera also as an after thought (since it was supposed to be a "romantic stroll") :)

how about stage performances where the spotlight makes some parts of the actors/dancers really bright that you have to dial down exposure to prevent the hotspots from blowing out? good DR would allow you to bring out the shadow details in post-production with clear definition and accurate color.

Last edited:
U buy the 77mm for $1280 :bheart: Wah true pentaxian... :thumbsup:

i cannot imagine paying for it...

since when u play with lens.... must be getting rich nowadays... :bsmilie:

I wanted that lens for some time but no funds so when I have I bought it. Now scared to use . . . :sweat: