Dust spots in new zoom lens

Loo Jia Jie

Jan 30, 2015
Hi guys,

I have recently bought a XT1 with 18-55mm zoom, 2 days later made a close inspection and found 2 tiny spots of dust, inside of the lense, the rear element has some smudges (probably can be clean off).

I know that these probably will not cause any image quality issues since they are really small, I am just being "over protective" of the gear being a new one but should I go back to the retailer I bought from or go back to fuji for a "fix"

I was thinking that going back to fuji for a clean up may cause even more issues as dust spots may ultimately be inevitable.

Just wanna check out you guy's views on this.

Hi guys, I have recently bought a XT1 with 18-55mm zoom, 2 days later made a close inspection and found 2 tiny spots of dust, inside of the lense, the rear element has some smudges (probably can be clean off). I know that these probably will not cause any image quality issues since they are really small, I am just being "over protective" of the gear being a new one but should I go back to the retailer I bought from or go back to fuji for a "fix" I was thinking that going back to fuji for a clean up may cause even more issues as dust spots may ultimately be inevitable. Just wanna check out you guy's views on this.

Does this affect your images ? If not I'll prob leave them be.

If it really affects u a lot , I'll go back to the retailer and ask for a swop as dust isn't covered by warranty and as such Fuji will likely charge u for the lens cleaning service.

Dust for zoom lens is inevitable, so no point bringing it in. There is a risk of introducing my foreign objects into the lens. The repair room where the technician opens up your lens is very different from the factory environment in which they assemble the lens.

Most lens have a few dust in it .... If you shine a light thought it. If u r particular over these dust .. U need to check it when u buy it.

Like what others stated when zoom in and out .. Dust will suck in either way ... So u will get these dust particles with use

Last edited:
yeah, dust in lenses is inevitable,whether the lenses are weatherseal or not,
you can try your best to keep it clean, but not to obsess about it, so long it does not affect the image quality, just learn to live with it,

believe it or not, we human are walking "dust factory", so try not to waste too much time and energy on trying keep your lenses "dust free".