Dust Proof Lens

EisMann

Feb 15, 2013
Singapore
Hi,

I post this enquiry here I only have Olympus DSLR with interchangeable len.

I like to manage my expectation on Olympus Pro lens. I have a Pro 12~40mm bundled with EM1 of which which I bought in Mar'2015. So it is about 1.5 years of usage now.

I have not brought them to any construction sites or any houses under renovation. The only time near a beach beach was Pasir Ris to shoot that pair of juvenile wood owls.

At most I only shoot once a week, (actually less than this) and assuming each shot I took, I zoomed in & out 10 times, this sum out about 80x10x100(shots) = 80,000 times. I have another 70~300mm lens and I like to shoot birds. So this is not conservative figure.

With this number of times, am I expect to see dust inside my lens?

For those pioneer using the Pro 12~40mm lens, how long of the usage before you have seen dust inside the lens?

Thank You
EisMann

hi,

the lens itself is weather resistant , and as all zoom lenses go , or simply all equipment go - dust will appear with use. Don't worry about it too much and continue to shoot :)

Do you know we human are a walking dust factory? Dust (mainly our dead skin) will just get into the lens soon or later anyway.

Hi

No lens is manufactured under clean environment (dust free) and no lens is design to be dust free. Every lens will have dust, it is a matter of time.
Even brand new lens keep inside dry cabinet whole life will get dust as well. But as bro spidey89 say, does it matter? So do not worry but continue to use the lens as intended.
Shoot more and enjoy and quite worrying about dust. If u finally see dust that affect your photos, send it to clean.

Cheers

There is no dust free lens. Dust is part and parcel of life, and will get on all your lenses, cameras, sensors... etc.. dust on sensor might show, that is why we clean our sensors. Dust on lenses very seldom show up in any of your pictures.

Hi,

I post this enquiry here I only have Olympus DSLR with interchangeable len.

I like to manage my expectation on Olympus Pro lens. I have a Pro 12~40mm bundled with EM1 of which which I bought in Mar'2015. So it is about 1.5 years of usage now.

I have not brought them to any construction sites or any houses under renovation. The only time near a beach beach was Pasir Ris to shoot that pair of juvenile wood owls.

At most I only shoot once a week, (actually less than this) and assuming each shot I took, I zoomed in & out 10 times, this sum out about 80x10x100(shots) = 80,000 times. I have another 70~300mm lens and I like to shoot birds. So this is not conservative figure.

With this number of times, am I expect to see dust inside my lens?

For those pioneer using the Pro 12~40mm lens, how long of the usage before you have seen dust inside the lens?

Thank You
EisMann

Dust can get in when you change lenses, or simply when you remove the lens and cap the lens and body. The 12-40 Pro as many have said, is weather sealed, so zooming does not really introduce dust, unless the seals break. More likely dust will get in when you detach/attach the lens.

The 70-300 is not a weather sealed unit, so there is a higher chance of dust getting in during zooming, but this is probably less likely than dust getting in during the changing process.

The best way to manage and minimise dust entry is to change your lenses carefully, meaning not in a dusty environment, etc. etc.

$IMG_0147.GIF

All time fav

To spidey89. Yes it mattered.
There was a black spot in a sunrise pic I taken and I reviewed the shot.
It was not on the filter. The speck of dust on the front lens inside the body. Initially I thought it was fungus. When I tapped it, it fell off on the body.

My 75~300mm was bought 2nd hand. At most it is same age as my Pro 12~40mm. According to the previous owner, he claimed he bought it when newly launched in Singapore. I zoomed more with this lens since day 1. Each time I shoot, I zoom out. After shooting, zoom in and move to next spot. Thanks goodness, no dust in yet.

I always point my body down to change lens to minimise the dust setting down on the sensor.

As I mentioned earlier, I want to manage my expectation. I thought Pro 12~40mm marketed as a dust proof lens as well.

As Overworked suggested, I will bring the lens to Olympus to check after my biz trip.

Thank You
EisMann

...There was a black spot in a sunrise pic I taken and I reviewed the shot....

Could be sensor dust.

Did you check whether there's dust on your sensor by taking a plain sky shot with close down aperture?

Every lens will have dust eventually, and because of dof and size, it's unlikely the lens will be the culprit. My E-M1 had the same problem and according to Olympus, my sensor had a stain and I was thinking why would there be a stain. But it didn't matter since I usually shoot at wider apertures and when I stop down, it blends in with the background.

Regardless, my IS unit has since been damaged and the entire unit including the sensor has to be replaced and so the spot is gone. But my E-M1 is still in service because the IS is not working properly still

Hi bro EisMann

For blackspot during sunrise, sunset, most likely dust on sensor. I had several experiences with this and it always comes down to dust at sensor, not lens.
Still the test recommended by bros shoot white wall, small aperture just to make sure black spot in picture. Change lens do the same. If black spot still there, likely sensor needs a bit of cleaning. sometimes it is an easy job but whatever u do, be careful or let the pros do it.