Dusseldorf, Germany

looks like I'll be going to Berlin and Dresden as well... more places to see! :)

Small tip really, if you're a little more adventurous and would like to save a lot of money, and sometimes time(it's possible to save 4x the amount, and take the same time). It is a lot cheaper to try 'trip-sharing' rather than Deutsche Bahn. Deutsche Bahn is very expensive and with regards to rail networks in it's neighbouring countries. It is the most expensive. (A surefire way to get a bar discussing German-sanctioned robbery in Poland is to mention DB).

This website, www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de though it's all in German, but easy enough to figure out(or run through a translator) has cost saving fares to and from different cities and even towns/villages. People drive frequently back and forth and they charge a minimal rate(compared to DB) to do so. In all my trips, I haven't had one bad experience(I even met Poles at 12 midnight in München to get a ride back into Poland). That's not to say it's not possible of course, women frequently allow only women riders to trip-share with them.

But you can email people in English and see if they are willing to take you with your luggage, and also if they speak English. Most do, Germany is not Poland, but it's not Sweden either. Knowing a little German though, does obviously help. I've spent months, over many years in Germany and usually with German friends, so I get the benefit of picking up what people usually do.

Ok, so not such a little tip. Sorry if it's not helpful!

oh... but it IS helpful ! :)
thanks for taking the time to write it all down.
Your experiences are invaluable.

At the moment I'm still unsure what the travel arrangements will be like.
As it is a training trip to some production plants, I could be loaned a vehicle for self-drive, as it was the last time I went to switzerland for similar training.
Am waiting for my boss to give me the itinerary, so I can plan for places to visit :)

oh... but it IS helpful ! :)
thanks for taking the time to write it all down.
Your experiences are invaluable.

At the moment I'm still unsure what the travel arrangements will be like.
As it is a training trip to some production plants, I could be loaned a vehicle for self-drive, as it was the last time I went to switzerland for similar training.
Am waiting for my boss to give me the itinerary, so I can plan for places to visit :)

Well if you get a car, then you save all the money and time! :) Though I myself don't quite dare to drive on the Autobahn, it's safe, straight and an easy ride compared to the condition of roads in eastern Europe. But the SPEEDS people drive at! Especially in the night, you have got to know where you're going.

As for what to see, sorry, I've never been to the German capital or the north even though I've been to Germany more than 6 times. All my friends are from the south so I usually spend my time there.

Hi

I stayed in Germany for half a year almost 8 years ago, near to Duesseldorf. I went travelling to a different city/town in every single weekend.

If you're travelling over the weekend, try the Schoenes Wochenende Ticket (literally means Happy Weekend Ticket). It gives you unlimited travel on RE and local city trains for a single weekend day at 37 euros for up to 5 persons. It used to cost only 40 Marks (around 32SGD) before the Euro. Only downside is, you can't take the fast Inter-City or Inter-City-Express trains. Otherwise, your train tickets to further locations can cost a bomb.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Schönes_Wochenende_Ticket

For train timings, check their webbie

http://www.bahn.de

For places to visit, it depends on your interests..! Off my mind, some very scenic places I can remember... I'll include some pictures, sorry last time use P&S and no digital camera, so pics might be koyak. I'm a fan of castles.. heh

1) Koeln (for architecture)
Cologne in English. About 1 hour from Duesseldorf. Huge black gothic cathedral right above the train station. Thats the only thing of interest there, you can climb up all the way too. Bring wide angle to capture the whole structure and more.

IMG_2774.jpg

2) Mosel Valley (scenic)
Quite a long distance from Duesseldorf... but one of my fav places, will go again. Its a very long valley of vineyards with many little towns. Check out Cochem Castle, Eltz Castle, or rent a bike and zoom down the valley. Check the direction, don't blur blur try to cycle up slope! Get a room at a guest house, cycle more or take a boat back to return your bike.

Cochem Castle
IMG_2903.jpg

Eltz Castle
IMG_4614.jpg

3) Fairy Tale Road (interesting)
Its a long road of little town where its said that the Brothers Grimm travelled and wrote their stories, such as Pied Piper, Hansel and Gretel, etc.

4) Koenigswinter (castle only)
Dragon castle on a hill.
Img_6352.jpg

5) Kassel
Hercules Temple
Img_4300b.jpg

Enjoy your stay!!

thank you so much for the info with pictures...!

Wah... overloaded. Hope I can visit all/most of the places that have been suggested to me.
I will have some free time to take photographs, but as my itinerary involves me moving from city to city (different factories in different segments of the country), I'm not sure where I'll be when the free day arrives. Nonetheless, I'm noting all this info down :)

thanks once again! :)

Glad to help! All of the above can be day trips except for Mosel Valley. Look out for special train tickets, since you're already in Europe, don't waste too much time scrimping on a little bit and get the faster trains if it's a huge difference.

Actually Koeln can be a stopover for most destinations, no need for full day trip. Its like a big interchange. Stop over for day shots and night shots if you can.

thanks once again! Counting down the days! :D
Hope I can bring back some nice photos.

The place is like a ghost town in the weekend. But there are some weekend markets now. Have fun:)

It is good to bring along a 10-20mm or 12-24mm. Have fun:)

The place is like a ghost town in the weekend. But there are some weekend markets now. Have fun:)
thanks!
Yes, from my previous experience with a training trip to Switzerland, I realize that the Europeans value their personal time greatly.

Definitely will bring my UWA :)

My wife is going over for an exhibition so i'll be going over too, so do we can exchange a bit of info.

at this point, We've got about 5 days of free-n-easy (excl exhibition time). Was planning to spend some time at cologne, aachen. Wife wants to see a castle, so does anyone know any not too far away from dusseldorf worth the visit ?

also, is it worth buying first class train tickets (vs 2nd class should the occasion arise)

My wife is going over for an exhibition so i'll be going over too, so do we can exchange a bit of info.

at this point, We've got about 5 days of free-n-easy (excl exhibition time). Was planning to spend some time at cologne, aachen. Wife wants to see a castle, so does anyone know any not too far away from dusseldorf worth the visit ?

also, is it worth buying first class train tickets (vs 2nd class should the occasion arise)

Hi Darrel

Cologne (Koln) and Aachen would be places to view churches. Each have their prominent church structure.

For castles.. there are many littered around. For nicer ones, you can refer to the list that I had posted above.

Personally I don't find much difference with 1st class train tickets, except that it might not be as crowded during peak periods. Trains in Germany are very comfortable, all first class to me. :)

Reviving this very old thread as I'm headed to Deutschland again this year-end (Nov/Dec). Will spend some personal time at the end of the work trip to travel around the area between Frankfurt and Munich.

Sort of have a loose list of places I intend to visit:
- Stuttgart
- Heidelberg
- Munich

feel free to add to this list or discourage me from visiting any of the listed cities :)

Transportation:
Will try a mixture of Deutsche Bahn and the trip-sharing option (www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de) if that works out to be feasible.
The trip will be centred around visits to BMW Welt in Munich, and either the Mercedes or Porsche Museums in Stuttgart. In between will look for some cityscapes and street scenes to shoot.

appreciate any advice! :)

Suddeutschland (Stuttgart/Muenchen/Freiburg) is beautiful.
1) think about winter in dec
2) Visit Neuschweinstein near muenich !
3) stay in jugendherberge.
4) post us picture !!

Suddeutschland (Stuttgart/Muenchen/Freiburg) is beautiful.
1) think about winter in dec
2) Visit Neuschweinstein near muenich !
3) stay in jugendherberge.
4) post us picture !!

Hahaha thanks!
Freiburg is nice too?
I know about the weather, but no choice gotta make the best of it as I'm not sure when I will make a long trip there again :)
Jugenherberge looks quite nice :)

It is better to go south . North German is flat and nothing to see.
Yes, Freiburg = small city territorial of Germany, you can take train to Bassel/switzerland or france very near.

Are you a football fans?
Ruhrgebiet has so many city to visit : leverkusen,koeln.

Berlin is far away, can see schloss sanssouci & ex DDR.
You can buy rail ticket , free to visit every city in germany.
or use mitfahrgelegenheit(mfg) is quite safe.

Have a nice trip!

hanseos said:
It is better to go south . North German is flat and nothing to see.
Yes, Freiburg = small city territorial of Germany, you can take train to Bassel/switzerland or france very near.

Are you a football fans?
Ruhrgebiet has so many city to visit : leverkusen,koeln.

Berlin is far away, can see schloss sanssouci & ex DDR.
You can buy rail ticket , free to visit every city in germany.
or use mitfahrgelegenheit(mfg) is quite safe.

Have a nice trip!

Thanks for the tips! :)
Ya northern part is flatter, but it's not without it's charms as well.
Previous few trips, spent quite a bit of time in dusseldorf, Frankfurt and dresden areas, so would like to take the chance to visit the south (automobile haven) this time. My pilgrimage to the "holy land"... Haha

Have already been to Switzerland before, so not intending to cross over.