dSLR to start off with

Status
Not open for further replies.
CCD vs CMOS, is a LITTLE bit like LCD vs Plasma. They are based on different infrastructure. The post-process in camera algorithum is also going to affect the final output.

As said, the d2 series is the professional series. Which is addressed by raptor.

If you noticed, the h series is having lesser MP then x series. Each has its own goodness. The h series is more to sports, where fps is of concerned. Remember, lesser the MP, faster the processing.

To be honest, I think you should just get something you're comfortable with - go down to the shops and try out all the different models/brands, take some test shots, read the reviews, and buy what you think is best for you.

There's a reason why each brand has their fans, so all brands are good, and the more important part is that you use the camera often such that you know how to get the best out of it.

E500? Isn't that quite old? You'd probably have to get a second-hand one.

How wide a range is wide? If you want something really fast be prepared to pay the price. :bsmilie:

Aperture wise, not much of a problem usually, since you can always switch lenses.

If you want a new one, at a budget price (if price is indeed a concern, like it was for me), may I suggest Pentax K100D - which is entry level, and definitely an excellent cam with excellent reviews.

My advice is to decide which brand to go - if you're into it long term and are planning to buy lenses, etc, not just sticking to kit then you might want to factor in availability and all that jazz. The 2 common brands in Singapore would be Canon and Nikon, and every brand has their strengths and weaknesses. There'd also be Sony, Pentax, Olympus, which are less common, but that doesn't mean that they suck, despite what all the funny Canon and Nikon buddies would tell you.

One thing about the common brands would be that they do not have any on-body Image Stabilisation.

Not sure if you know of these review sites, but they provide excellent and rather balanced reviews of cameras (whether consumer or DSLR) imho -

DP Review and Imaging Resource, google for them. =)
hey boss, don't generalise everyone and post in such a mis-leading fashion can?

hey boss, don't generalise everyone and post in such a mis-leading fashion can?

...How did I generalise? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

You can't deny that there are people here who happily post stuff like Sony Sucks! Or Pentax Poofs! Without breaking a sweat or batting an eyelid! =(

Well if anyone want to know about the D50...I'm using it for almost two years without much complaint except there's no WB tweaking and no depth of field preview.
However, its a good camera that served me well(since 2005) and I'm keeping it as my secondary body since acquiring the D200 on saturday :thumbsup:

There are probably new and better dslrs out there no matter the brand to start off photography with :thumbsup:

you said "despite what all the funny Canon and Nikon buddies would tell you." mah...
anyway, just a recent observation from a recent trip to cambodia.

I see more pentax DSLR users than nikon and canon amongst tourists. Westerners as well as Japanese.

you said "despite what all the funny Canon and Nikon buddies would tell you." mah...
anyway, just a recent observation from a recent trip to cambodia.

I see more pentax DSLR users than nikon and canon amongst tourists. Westerners as well as Japanese.

Haha, well, I don't like those people mar.. =( You never do that I will lub you!

Really? Even on Flickr though, Canon and Nikon are the Horde. =/

D50 sure seem really a difficult find...think I ought to go down to camera shops to fiddle them on my own for the best feel...anywhere for good "fiddling"?

D50 sure seem really a difficult find...think I ought to go down to camera shops to fiddle them on my own for the best feel...anywhere for good "fiddling"?

You would have a better chance getting from second hand shops than brand new. Nikon discontinued D50 production already, which is quite sad actually, since if you want to buy an entry-level DSLR brand new you'd have to get the D40?

There are some second-hand shops near Peninsula Plaza.. Not inside Peninsula Plaza itself, but next door.

But I'm not sure which ones are reliable and fair.. Some of them will try to sucker you into paying much higher prices than is warranted.. So best to check out here with Clubsnappers in the know.

anyone can break the myth about "the higher megapix the better"?

More mega pixel gives a little edge on the pictures...in resolution only...the main thing is the Photographer :thumbsup:

anyone can break the myth about "the higher megapix the better"?

" the higher megapix the better " for what? larger prints? image detailing? fill up da memory card faster?

Choices are a plenty and almost all of them have a handful of hardcore fans.
Perhaps narrowing down ya search will assist ya and da boys & gals here can advise better.

Ya can start with:

1. Budget?

2. Brand?

3. Specifications like speed, resolution, lcd size etc

Good luck in ya quest.;)

Ya LCD Size very important. The smaller the BETTER. Else, you kenna low batt always.

Lol.

You should start with a Canon 1Dmk3 or D2hs

then if u don't like u can alway sell and downgrade and still got left over money for more lens

You should start with a Canon 1Dmk3 or D2hs

then if u don't like u can alway sell and downgrade and still got left over money for more lens

:think: This must be the famous ploy so that you can see people dumping those cams later on and all the CS'ers asking for budget prices.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Just kidding, but seriously, you're not serious about that, right?

Normally, bigger lens width will allow more light, thus will be faster. Similarly more expensive.
MP does not affect anything till your final printouts. If you are just printing 4R size, a 3MP camera is much more then enough.

by right, the smaller the spot metering, the "better". Again, are you sure you really need to use that fine for spot metering? Depends on what you need. For me, everything can be easily compensated.

D70 / D70s is a higher model then D50.

But to compare D70 with D50 tech, D50 is later. It is even later then D70s.

i have to disagree with you on that bro.

I find my D50 better than my D70 in terms of handling an picture quality.

i have to disagree with you on that bro.

I find my D50 better than my D70 in terms of handling an picture quality.

So which of it are you disageeing? I have already said that D50 is better then D70.

hi all dSLR users!

Just curious what would be a good dSLR to start off with as I've been fiddling with 35mm SLRs in the past.

Any suggestions / tips?

thanks!

trust the professionals

http://www.pbase.com/vthian/athens_olympics_2004

no point getting 1 that is value for money now and regret later...

buying a dlsr is not like buying a prosumer... when u buy a dslr you are buying in to a system.... lens, accesories etc.... whats the point of buying a value for money package now then having to sell it later?

my guess is you're still young... you'll probably stay in this hobby for a v long time... the decision you make now will determine the system you will use for all those years... are you goin to base your decision on 100- 200 dollar difference? silly isn't it... besides... who knows what's goin to happen in the future.. you might have much more money to spend on your hobby and would like to upgrade your body and lenses... good thing with canon and nikon is that there is always an upgrade path... canon has the 1dmkIII for sport shooters and fullframe cameras....can't say the same for the other brands...

there's a reason why canon and nikon are the best sellers eventhough they cost more than the rest... people are not stupid... they know what they are buying and most people feel that the cost is justified.... if you feel that it is purely marketing then look at the link I posted... do you think professionals are suckers for marketing? of course not...

it always pays to stick with a giants... why? because they sell more and so can afford to put more in to research so you can look forward to a greater variety of high quality lens in the future... being so big also mean the chances of them closing down are slim... look at minolta.... they stopped making dslrs all together... ppl who invested minolta lenses are stuck... luckily for them sony came along and took over their dslr business.. now minolta lenses can still be used on sony bodies... if you buy 1 of the smaller brands... this can happen to you too in the future... only difference is there might not be another sony to bail you out....

trust the professionals

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ....

it always pays to stick with a giants... why? because they sell more and so can afford to put more in to research so you can look forward to a greater variety of high quality lens in the future... being so big also mean the chances of them closing down are slim... look at minolta.... they stopped making dslrs all together... ppl who invested minolta lenses are stuck... luckily for them sony came along and took over their dslr business.. now minolta lenses can still be used on sony bodies... if you buy 1 of the smaller brands... this can happen to you too in the future... only difference is there might not be another sony to bail you out....

Yup. Tatz ya perception my dear. :think:

I'm not a Minolta or Sony DSLR user but perhaps ya should just post de above in de SONY UNITED thread and ya may just noe de answer how badly cheated de Minolta/Sony users feel.

For wat so ever reason, we may not know de answer. How much was de take over transaction or was it a merger or joint venture or is it meant to be a kopitiam issue for de elderly? :dunno:

Keeping an open mind. TS, Sori for da OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.