DSLR Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
mportrait said:
The a-100 actually churns out nice pics. 10mp some more. Tried it and with the D-range optimizer, u can take the pic and print it straight away. Also, anti dust is useful if travelling overseas to dusty areas. So it is really unfair to say it is inferior to other makes. The CZ lenses lineup is another draw.

The anti dust is IMHO, just an anti-static filter placed infront of the CCD. Read http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydslra100/
It didnt passed the anti-dust test

found this thread, think u can find more info in the sony thread.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=210677

but i would still go for canon or nikon :p

personallly lah, a personal opinion, i feel that the handling and feeling of nikon cameras are more comfortable. but then again, its a matter of getting used to.

but i prefer the slightly bigger nikon body, as oppose to canon 350D or 300D

I'm a nikon user so I may not know what I'm talking abt but on the practical point of view between sony and canon, I would choose canon for the following reasons (1) new technology/feature almost always have bugs and you pay to be a jenny pig, (2) there are a lot of proven canon lenses, and 3rd party lenses for canon, (3) there are a lot of 2nd canon stuff in B&S in case you wanna buy... or sell your stuff later on (4) there are a lot of accessories that caters to canon that may not yet be for sony. Sure it might be backward compatible with minolta but still a bit early to say (I'm typically jaded and distrustful of anything). (5) there will be a lot of canonian(?) who can help you if you have questions or something.

Klose said:
Forget the A100 - utter disappointment (Actually I knew it sucked before I touched it :bsmilie:)

Wait for the new upcoming Nikon.
i know sony's biggest obstacle to capturing the dslr market - convincing its detractors like yourself :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

jdredd said:
actually, its pretty pointless just looking at pictures taken by a camera to see if good or not, unless they are being compared to pictures taken by other cameras.

a picture taken by a prosumer, or even a good P&S, can also look good and sharp.

in any event, a picture taken by a A100, compaerd to a canon or nikon, will generally be int he same ballpark, assuming reasonably parity of lenses, and assuming the ISO is generally within their optimal range.

certaint at 4R or 5r or even 6R, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference without pixel peeping.

teh same can be said of olympus, orp entax or samsung.

its the functions, functionalities, lens range etc etc, that should be just as determinant, if not more so, than just picture quality.

hmmm........if talking about functions, i guess A100 would be tops.

d-range, wireless flash, anti-shake, anti,dust, non-stop continouos, supports KM,Sony, CZ mounts................

i wun say 30D is a bad camera, but it really depends on your personality. i have tried all three brands, canon, nikon, KM, for 2 whole years before i made up my mind on KM. and one reason why i chose KM, is that canon and nikon is pretty boring. they are excellent cameras, i did not say they sucks, but they are too much like a real photographic tool, nothing much to explore or play with. if i am to do a paid photography service, i will still choose a 30D to use as it is more reliabl., but right now, as a hobbyist, i prefer a more exciting and fun yet still has excellent photo quality camera to use. you might say that as a photographer, we should be taking good photographs, not having fun to play cameras, but that's your personality, not mine.

when you see canon photographers being idle, they are just reviewing and deleting photographs. when you see a KM photographer idle, they are busily irriating pp with their wireless flash and pressing the AEL button non-stop.:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Static said:
The anti dust is IMHO, just an anti-static filter placed infront of the CCD. Read http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydslra100/
Did you read the article you link to before posting it....it's a preview and there is not a single thing mention about testing the anti-dust.

tao said:
quite obvious that it is more of a marketing gimmick than something that is designed ground up to work as well as olympus' anti-dust system.
Blind leading the blind.....:bsmilie:

satay16 said:
hmmm........if talking about functions, i guess A100 would be tops.

err...what kind of function would A100 be better then other dslr in the market?

westwest1 said:
err...what kind of function would A100 be better then other dslr in the market?

well, if you want, we can try comparing things 30D has but not A100, and what A100 has but not 30D. btw, notice the unfair competition, A100 should be the same level as 350D actually.

Static said:
Beside the anti-static filter (by applying static electricity to make it not like a magnet to dust), they also shaking the CCD. Similar to Olympus anti dust way, but instead of using ultrasonic for vibration, Sony shake the CCD. They can do it since the CCD can moving in X-Y direction (part of anti-shake function).

Regards,
Arto.

Love_sky said:
1) Both company focus on this area (Camera)

Emm... Have you seen Nikon PRINTERS? Nope?
Now, you can say that Nikon is the one who is really focused in Cameras and Optics.

Go Nikon! With the new camera!!

nikon is basically an optics company i think.

as for functions, well, as said, nikon and canon cameras are more skewed towards being an photographic tool. and i believe actually, nikon cameras are capable of doing much of the functions as well.

but for me, a camera is basically a tool to take photos with. hence, i would choose the one that i am most comfortable with and gives me the results i want. but of cos, as said, its a preference....

then again, if all the functions are to irritate other photographers, then i rather not have them :bsmilie:

i guess choosing cameras is a personal thing.

hmmmm, sony got lens one meh? or will it be KM lens? or carl leiss lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.