DSLR prices are going down down down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by shutterbug
In simple conclusion, DSLR/Digicam speed up learning. Yes, you get to preview your image on the spot, and you make changes and correction on the spot. No need to guess or do bracketing and wait for results another day. If u one is taking pics on National Day, how many National Day do you get in a year? With SLR, u just have to come back next year to try again.

Does this statement not suggest that you can actually become a worse off photographer than a better one with this kind of learning attitude?

In simple conclusion, DSLR/Digicam speed up learning. Yes, you get to preview your image on the spot, and you make changes and correction on the spot. No need to guess or do bracketing and wait for results another day. If u one is taking pics on National Day, how many National Day do you get in a year? With SLR, u just have to come back next year to try again. :)

hey brother,
first thing first with regards to the above...
i guess most of us going to National Day parade would be brining maybe at least 2 SLR bodies? a couple of lens? some spare batteries? and ALOT OF FILMS (10?)? at least this is so in my humble case. one body as back-up (maybe a manual camera)

i think some SLRs (and not those MANUAL SLRs) can do a auto exposure timing?

i maybe wrong... please correct me if i'm wrong. in case, some moderators or fanatics starts to flame... oh well, u know....

ok, the DSLR thing....
DSLRs is indeed an excellent learning platform/format/equipment.

i agree, becos the user still gets to experiment wth some functions of a SLR camera like shutter...aperture... or the option to do it manually.

i would say that those who bought a DSLR as a basis for learning photography is more or less, a good choice. heavy investment in the equipment, but u get to shoot thousands and thousands of imageries and sceneries and ok, photographs.
u can view them on ur pc, laptop or mac... and select the ones u like to PRINT. bonus!

with practise, comes improvement and finally, perhaps, perfection!

likewise u can do so on a film SLR but of cos, here, we are talking about SPEED. the speed at which the DSLR can gif u almost instant access to the shot u just took...(considering u lap a laptop along...eh? =) ) u can instantly make correction to the next shot u're about to take.

isn't that wonderful? well, DSLRs users should know. i know.

i always work in such a way, different functions requires different system. sometimes film SLRs are preferred (like when the employer asks for film la, so i use film SLR la).

but then again, for a digicam to reach the sharpness of a 35mm film, it takes some 20+meg pixel digicam. so i guess, films definitely produces sharper images and finer details.

and how much is the 20meg pixel digicam goin to cost? ur guess is as good as mine...

p.s. but i would suggest a manual film SLR as the first learning platform for beginners. u REALLY 100% get to know how the SLR works.
yes, more so than a DSLR is going to help u.

Originally posted by sadness
hey brother,
i guess most of us going to National Day parade would be brining maybe at least 2 SLR bodies? a couple of lens? some spare batteries? and ALOT OF FILMS (10?)? at least this is so in my humble case. one body as back-up (maybe a manual camera)

i think some SLRs (and not those MANUAL SLRs) can do a auto exposure timing?

i maybe wrong... please correct me if i'm wrong. in case, some moderators or fanatics starts to flame... oh well, u know....

ok, the DSLR thing....
DSLRs is indeed an excellent learning platform/format/equipment.

i agree, becos the user still gets to experiment wth some functions of a SLR camera like shutter...aperture... or the option to do it manually.

i would say that those who bought a DSLR as a basis for learning photography is more or less, a good choice. heavy investment in the equipment, but u get to shoot thousands and thousands of imageries and sceneries and ok, photographs.
u can view them on ur pc, laptop or mac... and select the ones u like to PRINT. bonus!

with practise, comes improvement and finally, perhaps, perfection!

likewise u can do so on a film SLR but of cos, here, we are talking about SPEED. the speed at which the DSLR can gif u almost instant access to the shot u just took...(considering u lap a laptop along...eh? =) ) u can instantly make correction to the next shot u're about to take.

isn't that wonderful? well, DSLRs users should know. i know.

i always work in such a way, different functions requires different system. sometimes film SLRs are preferred (like when the employer asks for film la, so i use film SLR la).

but then again, for a digicam to reach the sharpness of a 35mm film, it takes some 20+meg pixel digicam. so i guess, films definitely produces sharper images and finer details.

and how much is the 20meg pixel digicam goin to cost? ur guess is as good as mine...

p.s. but i would suggest a manual film SLR as the first learning platform for beginners. u REALLY 100% get to know how the SLR works.
yes, more so than a DSLR is going to help u.

Well said brother. Another excellent perspective! :)

Originally posted by Parchiao
Does this statement not suggest that you can actually become a worse off photographer than a better one with this kind of learning attitude?

Possible. :) No straight forward answer. Attitude is an individual thing. Those who embrace technology and use it to their advantage will gain more. With bad attitude, even the best tools in the world is a waste on him. :)

:eek:

With bad attitude, even the best tools in the world is a waste on him
Yup. That's the crux of the matter, isn't it?

Originally posted by sadness
hey brother,

<SNIPPED>
Well said bro! :thumbsup: To sum up the thread, as u had also said, "to each his own". There has already been countless debates over dSLR vs SLR. Each has its own advantages/disadvantages. What u said is kinda true to a certain extent...certain circumstances require u to use film, others will be more suited for digital etc. For instance, I prefer to use digital when shooting events coz u can squeeze off dozens of shots without constantly worrying about using up all your film or slides.

Coming back on topic, it would be interesting to see what happens when dSLR prices really do drop down to near that of film SLRs...since quite a few of us are still deterred by the current prices of dSLRs which is still relatively high.

Hope everyone would stop arguing about which is better blah blah... .its just a neverending thing and has been discussed to death already. Just my humble 2 cts no flames pls. :)

DSLR speed up learning process. My friend took a basic photography course.
You are talking about DSLR. He is not. :D

I agree with what you said, but I find it hard to believe that it applies to all digital cameras.

Originally posted by nhyone
You are talking about DSLR. He is not. :D

I agree with what you said, but I find it hard to believe that it applies to all digital cameras.

ur fears are not unfounded.
it could be harder to learn the basics of photography from a PnS digital camera or film camera...

i mean, would u even bother what is aperture or shutterspeed or flash sync when all u need to do is jus click and fire off?

well, i could be wrong too.

but i guess not everyone needs to learn how to use complex photographic equipments in order to take 1 single simple shot?

that is why there are PnS cameras around to cater for the 'not-so-technical' savvy masses. and i don't think compact 35mm cameras will ever die away... because, there is really a demand for it.

SLRs and DSLRs could be too expensive for most people to own and manage. in fact, they are investments, at least to me! :cry:

so, if you want to talk abt learning the fundamentals of photography, then a SLR or DSLR would be most apt... with a manual SLR the most hands-on ever.

but of course, having good equipments does not mean u'll haf great pics... i'm sure everyone knows what this mean. ;)

whatever ur platform, equipment, or areas of interest in photography(Fashion? Nature? Street?) might be, the key is to challenge oneself in achieving higher photographic standards and conceptual photographic work.

so all in all my dear fellow brothers and sisters who are reading my long and naggy post, just wana wish everyone happy snapping and to better oneself in every other shot one is about to take.

oh yes, if i've offended anyone unwittingly, please accept my humble apologies. we are not here to creat some rivalry or enemies, are we not? ;)

cheers to all!

yeah babe yeah!!!

Originally posted by Garion
Well said bro! :thumbsup: To sum up the thread, as u had also said, "to each his own".

Coming back on topic, it would be interesting to see what happens when dSLR prices really do drop down to near that of film SLRs...since quite a few of us are still deterred by the current prices of dSLRs which is still relatively high.

brother,
there's a solution... bring along a film and digital SLR bodies for events.. i always tag at least 3 bodies and 2 standard zoom lens, 1 prime lens(50mm!!), 1 wide lens(20mm!! best!! for me la! )...

well, different people have different style of work la.
u must always be prepared and SAFETY comes first hor?
hahaa
u don't want to screw up ur own work or someone else's big day or event... so no choice...bring bring bring!

a heavy camera bag is... unavoidable, not to mention that heavy tripod! :cry:

back to main topic... prices of DSLRs to DROP!!

oh DSLR and all things digital will drop pants..oops, i mean price la. the more obsolete models(in terms of function) of cos will be the first to drop la.

but i can't see digi-cams' prices dropping faster than that of a film cameras... now the film cameras' prices are really ...free falling...?
maybe its the craze wth digital cameras... that causes film cameras to be neglected. i think this trend will continue.

film will be the first to experience the effect of price falling, then followed by the obsolete digi cam models...

DSLRs prices will fall too......
but alot depends on competition, in fact!
let's say if CANON comes out wth D20, then it will want the D20's price to be around the price of a let's say, Nikon D200(just stating an example).

the prices have to be competitive so as to attract new recruits into respective camps.

just PURE SPECULATION on my tiny part...

meanwhile. get ur pockets ready... fill them up wth $$!!
alot of D100s and D1H are goin on the second hand market, soon enuff...

yeah babe yeah!!

I still remember how those SLR users point their fingers at me a few months back...

This is a non-issue to me any more.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.