DSLR for Sports Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
can compare also K20D 21fps burst mode.

:bsmilie: Different brand leh. But quite sure sure kana a few good shots at 21fps. Not sure about IQ though.

A premium fast lens need a FF body to fully utilize its abilities. Not that it cant perform on a cropped body, but dont expect the same IQ, AF speed.

Are you sure? Using a cropped body gives you more magnification because of the cropped factor, which is useful for sports! Furthermore, the cropped sensor uses the sweet spot of the lens. AF speed for D300 vs D700 is the same, unless you're talking about the two stop ISO advantage of the D700 over the D300.

anw out of curiosity.. Everytime i saw a sports events like soccer or Olympics.. i realize that most camera's are using canon. is something go to do with sponsorship or personal

anw out of curiosity.. Everytime i saw a sports events like soccer or Olympics.. i realize that most camera's are using canon. is something go to do with sponsorship or personal
i might be wrong so pls correct me if i am.

my guess is that when canon came up with the 1D II, its superior fps (8.5fps at 8.2MP) made it unbeatable when it comes to shooting sports (nikon D2x came out later than that IIRC), so most news agencies switched over to the canon system..over the years, it'd be cheaper to stick to the same system as old lenses can still be used on newer bodies.

though i believe that there are still individuals in AP/AFP/etc that still stick to nikon even though their company uses canon

To expand on +evenstar's comment, I think Canon also had better noise control at higher iso a few years ago. Higher fps and better noise control are ideal tools for sporting events. Also the extensive line-up of lenses by Canon helped.

Nikon's current line up has definitely shaken things up though. But switching over when you are heavily invested in lenses does take some second thoughts.

Dunno if i should be saying this here.... But i heard that SPH have since switched to nikon shortly after the D3 was launched.... (that's abt a yr back or so)

Dunno if i should be saying this here.... But i heard that SPH have since switched to nikon shortly after the D3 was launched.... (that's abt a yr back or so)
So is it better to go towards Nikon to stay current with the trend??

A premium fast lens need a FF body to fully utilize its abilities. Not that it cant perform on a cropped body, but dont expect the same IQ, AF speed.

a load of BS.

So is it better to go towards Nikon to stay current with the trend??

not true. only a handful are using the D3. most are on canon 1D III

Like I said, I heard.... So I not too sure myself oso. As for personal experience, Nil, I don't do sports. But I would someday like to try thou. As for both cameras, never try before.... Eh, well, I did get a chance to play with the 1DsMKIII for a couple of minutes:bsmilie: very fun:thumbsup:

Then tell us why instead.

Canon 1d, 1d mk II, Nikon D2h, D2x, D2hs, D2Xs, etc were all cameras with cropped sensors used by professional sports shooters in the past. And they all managed to capture great pictures. Currently there are also professional shooters using the D300 (a cropped sensor camera) either as a main or backup to shoot sports.
To make a statement that "you need a FF camera to fully maximize a large aperture lens" is misleading. There is more to shooting sports than just having a larger sensor camera.

Canon 1d, 1d mk II, Nikon D2h, D2x, D2hs, D2Xs, etc were all cameras with cropped sensors used by professional sports shooters in the past. And they all managed to capture great pictures. Currently there are also professional shooters using the D300 (a cropped sensor camera) either as a main or backup to shoot sports.
To make a statement that "you need a FF camera to fully maximize a large aperture lens" is misleading. There is more to shooting sports than just having a larger sensor camera.

very well explained.. i agree its all about the user than the machine..

Status
Not open for further replies.