DSLR for beginner ?

2) Kids nowadays got peer pressure, please dun let them ended up feeling inferior (although not necessary superior) with a entry level.

3) Kids learn fast nowadays compared to our time. She will outgrow a entry level sooner than u expect. Then wat? Buy another one?

I LOLed.

Tell me, is there any photos that a Nikon D90 can take, but entry level DSLRs like Pentax K-X, Sony A550, Canon 500D cannot take?

IMO, taking a photo is less of the camera, more of the photographer. In the hands of a good photographer, I dont think he/she will feel that he can take better pictures with a D90 than when using a k-x, A550, 500D/550D.

As for feeling inferior, then why buy D90? Its only an APS-C DSLR. Might as well buy a full frame, then she can pwn all her clubmates right? Her friends will be so impressed if she can bring a 1D Mk III to school :)

Last edited:
with modern days tech, u cant go wrong with any of the camera brand like Can, Oly, Sony, Pen, Nik.

thing i personally will consider are :

1) what is the common brand of camera her club mates are using? the fact that getting the same brand, they can share gears, feel for themselves before buying any stuff or even not buying cause they can share.

2) buy new of used gear?

3) $$ to invest in dry box, tripod, head, editing software etc.

Seems like there are some awesome parents hanging out here :D

I have used both Canon and Nikon and I find the Nikon interface faster to use but that's because the Nikon is my main camera. Once you get used to something, all other interfaces will feel weird. I'm guessing that the Canon and Sony are more similar.

I started out on a D60 (previous generation, D5000 equivalent) and moved on to the D80 (previous generation, D90 equivalent) within a year. With the D80, I don't feel a need to upgrade any more although there are better cameras out there and it is tempting. I am probably going to keep using it for the foreseeable future. However, I also have friends who have been using their D60 and even D40X (even earlier generation camera) till today and see no need to 'upgrade'. I'll bet there are also people who have upgraded their D90 for D300s and D700 by now.

If my friends were to ask me what camera to get, I would definitely tell them to get a Nikon within their budget. Photography basics are the same not matter what camera you use but having a mentor teach using the same interface is probably going to speed up the learning process. Think about it this way. You can teach a person the fundamentals of drawing using Photoshop or Corel Painter, however the lesson will go smoother if the instructor and students are using the same software.

The added bonus is that I am willing to loan them my lens, especially for friends I have known for 5-10 years. I have no idea about the photography club seniors' policy and attitude for this so the same might not apply.

At the end of the day, I suggest making your decision based on both your budget and your daughter's character. Finally, remember to budget for a second lens, I have a hunch she will need one in a few months :bsmilie:

Good way to improve her creativity.

Be it Sony, Nikon, Canon, let her choose herself. I personally feel that D90 is a bit weighty for a girl no doubt it's a good camera.

I am not a parent, but a few questions came to my mind, you needn't answer them at all, but I thought it might be useful for you to consider

1) Are you intending to pay for everything or is your daughter paying part of it?
2) How about future upgrades and accessories? Who is responsible in paying?

I would say most of the previous posts makes sense, but one I really cannot agree upon is getting a particular model just to keep with appearances and meet the peers expectations. An approach like that will spiral out of control and budget soon. Her peers, even with their best intentions, most likely did not factor in the budget constraints of the parent.

Most of the brands are good enough to start, but if the club already possess a range of lenses and accessories of a particular brand, then I think its a good idea to get a model from that brand. She will be thus able to have access to a wider range lenses while she figures out the basics and her own style, without the need to spend extra.

Last edited:
I LOLed.

Tell me, is there any photos that a Nikon D90 can take, but entry level DSLRs like Pentax K-X, Sony A550, Canon 500D cannot take?

Pics with multiple wireless flashes on the fly? :dunno: ;)

Don't get me wrong. I am not Nikon biased. But you really get what you pay for in the D90. As for ease of use, a sony user will find sony easier to use, and a nikon user will find nikon easier to use. I for one finds the D90 exceptionally easy to use. I handled my friend's A500 once and was totally lost.

Last edited:
Firstly, is your daughter going to take photography seriously or is this just her CCA that she needs to attend only? It's no point going out and getting a really great and expensive camera with all the accessories only to have it chucked one side after her 2 years in JC is over.

That being taken into consideration, there are many good DSLR and DSLR like cams out there, most of which have already been mentioned by all the other members out there. To me, I feel that the feel of the camera is the most impt... diff ppl will react diff to the feel of the cam. Some may like the feel of a canon or nikon but others might like the handling of a sony or an olympus. Bring your daughter down and get her to try it out and see which model best suits her.

I have tried Canon, Nikon and Sony DSLRs before and honestly they are all just as good. I always believe it's not the cam that produces great photos, it's the one behind the cam that does so it doesn't really matter what camera you go for.

P.S I am using a Nikon D90 (which was my first DSLR when i first started shooting and I've nv regretted getting it ;)

Firstly, is your daughter going to take photography seriously or is this just her CCA that she needs to attend only? It's no point going out and getting a really great and expensive camera with all the accessories only to have it chucked one side after her 2 years in JC is over.

like that the father take over the gear lor, upgrade from compact to dslr without having to justify the budget to the finance ministeress.:bsmilie::bsmilie:

I LOLed.

IMO, taking a photo is less of the camera, more of the photographer. In the hands of a good photographer, I dont think he/she will feel that he can take better pictures with a D90 than when using a k-x, A550, 500D/550D.

As for feeling inferior, then why buy D90? Its only an APS-C DSLR. Might as well buy a full frame, then she can pwn all her clubmates right? Her friends will be so impressed if she can bring a 1D Mk III to school :)

That's true. In that case, why not recommend a Canon S90 or Panasonic LX-3? :bsmilie: These can take good pictures too! Why even bother with a DSLR?

Yes, APS-C it is but as we all know full-frame cameras are not necessary the best choice for beginers. Full-frames are not really a MUST have for all. It isn't all about the body but more importantly what lenses can the body carry. Think about backward compatibility (second hand, no-longer-in-production, more affordable, but really good manual lenses). And also the wide range of useful and not to mention GOOD lenses it can carry (to extend the learning path more than anything else). If his daughter is able to continue with her passion right past JC, through varsity and working adult life, she would be able to support her own passion with her own $$ without ever the need to change the D90! (Same goes for past models, D80, etc etc etc)...

Aiyah, this debate will go on until kingdom come...
I've said my say, it's up to the daddy to ponder :think: until he comes up with the best and appropriate solution, it's his $$ and his daughter after all... I'm sure daddy knows best! :sweatsm:

Just bring your daughter to a good cam shop to get the feel of all the bodies together their lenses to feel the weight, who knows she might be attracted to the more affordable and colourful bodies of K-xs and give the powderful D90 da boot?? :bsmilie:

Last edited:
That's true. In that case, why not recommend a Canon S90 or Panasonic LX-3? :bsmilie: These can take good pictures too! Why even bother with a DSLR?

Yes, APS-C it is but as we all know full-frame cameras are not necessary the best choice for beginers. Full-frames are not really a MUST have for all. It isn't all about the body but more importantly what lenses can the body carry. Think about backward compatibility (second hand, no-longer-in-production, more affordable, but really good manual lenses). And also the wide range of useful and not to mention GOOD lenses it can carry (to extend the learning path more than anything else). If his daughter is able to continue with her passion right past JC, through varsity and working adult life, she would be able to support her own passion with her own $$ without ever the need to change the D90! (Same goes for past models, D80, etc etc etc)...

Aiyah, this debate will go on until kingdom come...
I've said my say, it's up to the daddy to ponder :think: until he comes up with the best and appropriate solution, it's his $$ and his daughter after all... I'm sure daddy knows best! :sweatsm:

Just bring your daughter to a good cam shop to get the feel of all the bodies together their lenses to feel the weight, who knows she might be attracted to the more affordable and colourful bodies of K-xs and give the powderful D90 da boot?? :bsmilie:

the reason why i recommend 1D mkiii is cos user elton feels that using an entry level dslr will make ts's daughter lose face, thus i suggested if such things is important, then the 1D would be a good choice, cos it'll give u MUCH MUCH more face than a D90 can. Lol

Pics with multiple wireless flashes on the fly? :dunno: ;)

My sony a100, which i bought for merely $200, has wireless flash support as well..

All minolta and sony dslr has build in wireless flash commander and can do multiple wireless flash.

2) Kids nowadays got peer pressure, please dun let them ended up feeling inferior (although not necessary superior) with a entry level.

Not flaming, but really thats one of the worst reasons I have ever heard. Like that buy 5D lor. FF camera with the 600mm sure no peer pressure... feel shiok!

the reason why i recommend 1D mkiii is cos user elton feels that using an entry level dslr will make ts's daughter lose face, thus i suggested if such things is important, then the 1D would be a good choice, cos it'll give u MUCH MUCH more face than a D90 can. Lol

You might as well hand her a cheapo PnS and send her off for a 2 weeks holiday in the Norwegian Fjords (New Zealand too near already). Come back sure have photos to die for (whether sucky photoshooting or not)... :bsmilie:

Juz contributing a little to help a good father... I think you can consider getting her a used D40, D50 for a start up...a D90 is too good for a new learner...she might take quite a while to fully utilise it...u can always look at the BnS for used if your daughter don't mind... if nt, I will recommend Sony/ Pentax's lower end model dslr...very value for money...

Last edited:
Not flaming, but really thats one of the worst reasons I have ever heard. Like that buy 5D lor. FF camera with the 600mm sure no peer pressure... feel shiok!

I think don't buy a good dslr for her to learn...u shd buy something with lower spec to train her mah...;) tt's my way of teaching...she will learn more instead...but come to tink of it, what is the world becoming - use lower end dslr=lose face...then compact ppl got to dig a hole and hide liaoz... it's about how u use ur cam...it's more of an achievement to use something at lower end and achieve something good isn't it...esp at learning stage...

Last edited:
I think don't buy a good dslr for her to learn...u shd buy something with lower spec to train her mah...;) tt's my way of teaching...she will learn more instead...but come to tink of it, what is the world becoming - use lower end dslr=lose face...then compact ppl got to dig a hole and hide liaoz... it's about how u use ur cam...it's more of an achievement to use something at lower end and achieve something good isn't it...esp at learning stage...

Buying second hand DSLR won't be easy - you'll need experience to check for faults, dust, ant nests, fungus and etc. For most of the ppl here who have exp, no doubt they can tell what's worth buying what's not. But for inexperienced ones, it's best to get someone (in the know) to tag alone (not that convenient either isn't it?).

Apart from the D90, my second choice might be the K-x for the more affordable option. Although I haven't had the chance to feel it myself... But judging from raving reviews from all over the internet, there must be some truth in it.

No need to dig a hole if you have a simple PnS for daily use, but if you're in a Photography club... Urm I'll pass you the shovel myself! :bsmilie: There's the stigma that PnS are mostly for pple who don't know how to shoot... and you want to bring that to the club... Once through the door, you'll feel the inclination to step behind the door...

Last edited:
There are quite a few D90 type camera models available. Each camera maker has one. You just need to choose the brand. All of them take good pictures.

If you are looking at a low cost but very good performance. I recommend the Pentax Kx which goes for ~$780 with a 18-55mm kit lens. Its a camera that has a few better features over similar models of the same price range. Comes in white, red and black colors too.

Otherwise, if you are aiming lower and don't mind 2nd hand, then any cheap 2nd hand DSLR model will do so long as the price is right for you.
They all are capable of taking good photos.

If the photography club is brand orientated (ie. they do things like "Hey! You need a XXX brand camera to learn/appreciate photography" Then its not a photography club (its a 'camera' club :D )

Last edited:
There are quite a few D90 type camera models available. Each camera maker has one. You just need to choose the brand. All of them take good pictures.

If you are looking at a low cost but very good performance. I recommend the Pentax Kx which goes for ~$780 with a 18-55mm kit lens. Its a camera that has a few better features over similar models of the same price range.

Otherwise, if you are aiming lower and don't mind 2nd hand, then any cheap 2nd hand DSLR model will do so long as the price is right for you.
They all are capable of taking good photos.

If the photography club is brand orientated (ie. they do things like "Hey! You need a XXX brand camera to learn/appreciate photography" Then its not a photography club (its a 'camera' club :D )

Die liao, then must transfer out of JC and find another that has a proper "PHOTOGRAPHY" club and not a "camera" oriented one... :bsmilie: Just kidding! It is inevitable that one club will have a brand preference over another, be it Sony, Nikon, Canon, or Pentax... So how? If they recommend K-x, you must buy Sony. If Canon, you buy Panasonic. If Samsung, you buy China brand.... Getting weirder and weirder... I peng also... :bsmilie: Endless debacle leh... Easy lah, forget photography club, join CSClub! Even more pengsang!

Hmmm.. if her school photography club uses Nikon, it'll be better to get a Nikon. she can use flash and accessories from her school. :D

All brand produce decent cameras. its up to one's preference when selecting a camera.

Die liao, then must transfer out of JC and find another that has a proper "PHOTOGRAPHY" club and not a "camera" oriented one... :bsmilie: Just kidding! It is inevitable that one club will have a brand preference over another, be it Sony, Nikon, Canon, or Pentax... So how? If they recommend K-x, you must buy Sony. If Canon, you buy Panasonic. If Samsung, you buy China brand.... Getting weirder and weirder... I peng also... :bsmilie: Endless debacle leh... Easy lah, forget photography club, join CSClub! Even more pengsang!

Haha....ok, I think if getting the same brand as what the school uses= more lens to share, better communication on terms use(instead of A,S mode for nikon, Canon/pentax etc uses AV/TV I think...) It might be less confusing if you consider all these...

as kriegsketten has pointed out, buying a 2nd hand involves risk tt as u might nt be sure if you could get a lemon...so dear Mr-good-father, u got to consider this too...

lastly, I tried my friend's Pentax KX last week and it was really good and affordable...dislike the AF selection though... However, it's HD movie mode might be so good that u might switch from Photography to Videography...:bsmilie::sweatsm: