DSLR for $1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show him some pictures. :D I can show you some E-500 pictures if you want.

I'd go with the SB800 and lose the tripod. the SB600 is a halfway half power device...

D40X kit + SB-600 + tripod.

Does it work as well? I have never been impressed with Pentax even until now. :) But if so, it is a good deal as well.

It works very well, and you get free image stabilization too.

I'd go with the SB800 and lose the tripod. the SB600 is a halfway half power device...
right in one way, but does the TS need that extra power and features? if not he be just wasting $200+ bucks...

right in one way, but does the TS need that extra power and features? if not he be just wasting $200+ bucks...

Actually, TS shld also consider who's going to be the main person using the dslr. Are they familiar with using a dslr? If not, perhaps a prosumer camera would be a better choice. :think: Otherwise the money spent on the dslr would be wasted.

Yes, but that reasoning is true for any piece of equipment you buy.

unfortunately i will not be the user of the DSLR... will be shared within the dept. The main user prev used a SLR and we would probably send him for a basic photography course to equip him with the necessary skills n equipment.

PS super nice pix!

:)

With the current crop of DSLRs targeted at the consumer level, using it is no more difficult than a prosumer or PnS. My Pri 2 son uses a K100D with no problems whatsover in aperture priority mode or full program, so using a DSLR isn't so difficult. Look into viewfinder, compose and shoot and let the camera take care of the AF, aperture/shutter speed and ISO. For those who haven't had a chance to try the Pentax K100D or K10D, my suggestion is to give it a try. You'll be amazed at the handling, features and image quality. More importantly you'll be amazed how much money you would have saved over other makes.

Here's a straight jpeg shot with a K100D by my kid. 50mm f1.4 at f5.6, handheld.
old_violin.jpg

I got the nikon D40 at $950 with kit lens ( 18mm to 55mm )
also bourght a nikon AF-S 55mm to 200mm with VR at $400.
and will buy a nikon SB400 flash at about > $180.

Total cost $1540
The range cover is from 18mm to 200mm

unfortunately i will not be the user of the DSLR... will be shared within the dept. The main user prev used a SLR and we would probably send him for a basic photography course to equip him with the necessary skills n equipment.

PS super nice pix!

:)

What kinda department?

I got the nikon D40 at $950 with kit lens ( 18mm to 55mm )
also bourght a nikon AF-S 55mm to 200mm with VR at $400.
and will buy a nikon SB400 flash at about > $180.

Total cost $1540
The range cover is from 18mm to 200mm

Ya was originally interested in the D40 & 40x but understand that the body doesnt come with AF motor and is only compatible with certain lens... hence the decision to go with Canon.

Ya was originally interested in the D40 & 40x but understand that the body doesnt come with AF motor and is only compatible with certain lens... hence the decision to go with Canon.

I'd go with Pentax. You don't have the budget for Canon.

Okie spoke to my "tech" guy... he knows more abt cameras than me...said not to buy tripod.

Suggested to only purchase DLSR(w/ kit lens) + Tele-Lens + Flash (if got $ remaining)
worst case scenario, dun buy flash n tripod... only lens+body

Is this still out of the $1.5k budget range?

Buy at CS Buy/Sell forum ...... lelong sure got left-over :thumbsup:

But you don't have existing lenses, so it doesn't really matter. The new lenses are all AF-S so far, so I guess that will be the trend for the future lower end bodies from Nikon. Canon doesn't have a motor in the body also, so all the lenses made for Canon EF mount has to have a motor insidee. So I guess the third party lenses will follow and put in a motor for Nikon mount lenses also.

Pentax and Olympus are also good alternatives although the 4/3 system used by Olympus (and Panasonic) is noisier at high ISO because the sensor size is smaller, but soon there'll be Leica lenses.

Pentax and Olympus are also good alternatives although the 4/3 system used by Olympus (and Panasonic) is noisier at high ISO because the sensor size is smaller, but soon there'll be Leica lenses.

Which has nothing to do with ISO noise, as the horrible Panasonic ISO noise with the great Leica lenses demonstrates.

Which has nothing to do with ISO noise, as the horrible Panasonic ISO noise with the great Leica lenses demonstrates.

Hahahaha... :) Well, for Olympus, it is slightly noisier when you compare it to APS-C size DSLR, but of course you don't get the Panasonic artifacts.

If you are considering Pentax, then this might be it;

K100D kit 18-55mm - $860 OP
DA 50-200mm - $350 OP (need to check again)
AF360FGZ flash - $330 CP

Total $1540 (But you'll save more on future lenses)

:thumbsup:

2nd that... contrary to what some people may say - "Pentax Sux", I actually find the image quality to be quite good!

buy a decent equipment, and the rest lies with u... u screw up, u get screw up photo.. if u get things right, u'll get good photo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.