DSLR alike Compact Camera

i want to take my active baby moving around and also want to take landscapes and also use for traveling

i try G15 using auto mode and unable to achieve sharp image with or without flash.

i don't know how to use manual mode or p mode.

i try using mirrorless taking using auto mode too, to certain extend i can get good image.

i heard G15 is very good on taking macro.

as a beginner i use the camera as PNS whether it is mirrorless or not

All I can say is that you still don't know much of photography. I am not saying that Auto mode is bad or what, I used Auto mode now and then... and I am not guilty ridden.

However... using full auto mode for... say landscape photography, if lighting was a bit bad, the camera will automatically step up ISO value. However being a small sensor camera high ISO noise performance was definitely not something it excel in... and so you get photo that had lost details to noise. Secondly if you use auto for fast moving objects (eg. your baby). The shutter speed might not be there and instead the camera might be opening or closing the aperture only and so you still don't get the desirable image quality you wanted.

All I can say is... know the limits of your camera, then learn abit about the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed, you will get better result. As to wanting your family to be able to use it, well... they can stick to Auto if they wanted, that is their problem. You do not have to do that. And let me share with you, I have a mom and a dad who are 60 plus, I gotten them a camera before and they quickly picked up simple photography techniques and stuff like that, now my dad could use aperture priority and shutter speed priority to achieve what he wanted.

Seriously I don't see the issue in that. And in my other comments in other thread addressed to you... you can buy a 5DmkIII, a Nikon D800, a Sony A95 etc, etc, and still get the same crap you have now, except these craps are sharper only.

The point is - Auto can only do so much and in less challenging conditions like daylight and outdoors. For indoors and motion, auto on compacts don't work well. A DSLR works better because of a larger sensor which allows higher ISO without being noisy.

Compacts have more limitations than DSLR. That's why many have both, for different purposes.

I use a Canon S110 as a PnS set to auto everything. It is good enough for a group photo of 4 - 6 persons, heads n shoulders only and indoors with flash. A larger group or full body shots will not be good. No, it can't take a active 3 year old running around indoors, even with flash. Bottom line - auto is for the basic shots.

To expect more, you will HAVE to learn more about the capabilities of each camera. By the way, my 70 year old aunt takes very good pictures with this camera because she understands its capabilities and limitations.

StevenTay

I did some kids pic playing @ Bugis Junction water fountain with G15
Full Auto Mode
8601162001_f9968b1a76_z.jpg

8600962212_a535ee51a2_z.jpg

8600961462_b1209b28b6_z.jpg

One more pic done in the nite without flashlite
8601163391_b69fbec908_z.jpg

Last edited:
photo camera not really good as lighting is an issues.

i have use mirrorless and entry DSLR can meet my requirement, just hoping to find smaller camera to replace it.

What about the Nikon J1 which is going for <$500 with the 10-30mm zoom or the V1 at <$800 with one prime and the 10-30mm zoom? I am not familiar with them but they seem to fit the bill - small, interchangeable lens, better IQ than compacts and very good price.

What about the Nikon J1 which is going for <$500 with the 10-30mm zoom or the V1 at <$800 with one prime and the 10-30mm zoom? I am not familiar with them but they seem to fit the bill - small, interchangeable lens, better IQ than compacts and very good price.

The thing is... it is not about cameras or lenses. No point keep buying better and better cameras if one do not bother to learn the basic of photography and insisted that a better body helps because it simply don't (I am not saying it to you though). It would be better to upgrade skills first before cameras. I have a friend who used to own a D3100 first for a couple of weeks, he found that the photos he took are craps, so he upgrade to a D700... the result is still crap, so he sold his D700 cheaply and get a hassy... now he is comtemplating to get a Leica... the point here is... you can own all type of cameras... if you are not up to it... all your photos are still crap.

The thing is... it is not about cameras or lenses. No point keep buying better and better cameras if one do not bother to learn the basic of photography and insisted that a better body helps because it simply don't (I am not saying it to you though). It would be better to upgrade skills first before cameras. I have a friend who used to own a D3100 first for a couple of weeks, he found that the photos he took are craps, so he upgrade to a D700... the result is still crap, so he sold his D700 cheaply and get a hassy... now he is comtemplating to get a Leica... the point here is... you can own all type of cameras... if you are not up to it... all your photos are still crap.

There are people out there who don't bother upgrade their skills and claims to be professionals/experts/whatever just because they owns a decent DSLR. They like to teach others what to do and how to do it right when they only produce craps. We can never change the mentality of those people. We can only let them live in their own world and be happy and proud of their "professional" works.

Last edited:
Yep, it was never the equipment but the person using the equipment. In the future there may be a camera that will turn out well exposed pictures 90% of the time by anyone, at the press of a button. But that's still in the future.

Do drop by Fujifilm's page. Their bridge handles like an DSLR. (Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR).

bought OMD kit.

thank for all the advise.

going to sign up for the OMD workshop

Last edited:
bought OMD kit.

That isnt that compact a camera, or is it?

That isnt that compact a camera, or is it?

OMD is compact as compared to a DSLR (mid-range or bigger entry level), although the trend is getting somewhat greyer these days with the introduction of small size DSLR like the Canon 100D.

Another good thing about micro four-third mirrorless camera is that the lenses used are smaller when compared to the APS-C sensor interchangeable lens camera. The main reason for this is the sensor size (micro four third sensor is smaller when compared to APS-C sensor) and also the flange distance because the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera didn't had the mirror assembly.

actually DSLR is not an issues. it is the lens weight for DSLR when you going to bring and use along.

even for Canon 100D althought the body is small, it still use APC lens which is big and heavy.

m4/3 lens are mostly half the weight of APC and cost half the price too.

actually DSLR is not an issues. it is the lens weight for DSLR when you going to bring and use along.

even for Canon 100D althought the body is small, it still use APC lens which is big and heavy.

m4/3 lens are mostly half the weight of APC and cost half the price too.

Not about to go into a debate on the weigh of the lenses vs weigh of body. All I can say is... it is up to individual. Sometime a heavy lens is better as compared to a light weigh lens (not optically but handling too). I have handle both and owned both the m4/3 and DSLR. If m4/3 had been able to do everything my DSLR could do, I would have sold off my DSLR, and if my DSLR could do everything my m4/3 could, I would have stay with my DSLR and sold off my m4/3. (And don't ask me what is the strenght and weakness of m4/3 and DSLR - that can easily be found in the net and also many are personal feels).

Plus, there is no such as thing as a APC lens. If APS-C sensor is what you mean, then it is a lens that was build for FF and APS-C sensor camera and not a APC lens.

I have an OM-D as well for casual shooting and travelling purposes. Coupled with the 17mm f1.8, the focus was not fast enough for shooting animals. I guess it may boil down to the user handling it, as it's still a fairly new camera to me.

Not about to go into a debate on the weigh of the lenses vs weigh of body. All I can say is... it is up to individual. Sometime a heavy lens is better as compared to a light weigh lens (not optically but handling too). I have handle both and owned both the m4/3 and DSLR. If m4/3 had been able to do everything my DSLR could do, I would have sold off my DSLR, and if my DSLR could do everything my m4/3 could, I would have stay with my DSLR and sold off my m4/3. (And don't ask me what is the strenght and weakness of m4/3 and DSLR - that can easily be found in the net and also many are personal feels).

Plus, there is no such as thing as a APC lens. If APS-C sensor is what you mean, then it is a lens that was build for FF and APS-C sensor camera and not a APC lens.

yup.

lens that was build for FF and APS-C sensor camera are bigger than lens use for m4/3

some people use APS-C or FF DSLR move to m4/3 due to health reason.

Last edited:
OMD is a good choice. but manual mode is the mode u want to use to fully utilised its full potential.

i would love to get the rx-1 though.

bought OMD kit.