Dry cabinet a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you prevent a shoe from getting mouldy. Keep dry and wear it daily. If you don't, clean it up and store it in a dry place.

Same for the rest. If you leave your laptop unused (not even once) for 1 year in a humid place, likelihood the circuit will fry the next time you power on.

Projector that is use often rarely has fungus bec it runs so hot that most fungus would have been killed. But left unused in a non-aircon place, you get fungus months later.

hi newbie here..how about other electronic gadgets like laptop,ipod,psp,cellphone..how are they any different with the dslr? do you mean to say the also need to be put in a dry cabinet? tnx

Cameras and lenses need to be put in dry cabinet because there are species of fungus which will grow on glass and ruin the optics.
And the cost of removing it is probably almost the cost of a small dry cabinet :bsmilie:

If you have a bigger one, and don't need the space, I can top up in exchange for yours. ;p
No have leh, I haven't buy yet ;p

APSG01, do you have service center in Singapore?

Personally, I think drying it in air-con is not a bad idea. Condensation will only occur if the subject in question is blown on by air-con directly or moving from an air-con room directly out into a hot and humid climate. Most working home air-con should be able to drop the RH to <50% in half an hour and keep it under 60% for hours if most windows are closed. Subsequently, after hours of drying, you might want to dump it in a $50 lock'n'lock container with a $30 digital hygrometer from homefix.

On the long run though, I think it is cheaper to just chuck it in a dry cabinet. It's less fussy too. Don't forget silica gel needs drying too.
Unless you are able to find a place that can offer free dry climate for >12hours in a shot and quickly pack it in a lock'n'lock, it's best to give up that idea.

Just check out Courts and Harvy Norman, the dry cabinet cost $118 and $138. Is too expensive?

Not sure whether anyone are interested on AIPO Dry Cabinet which can be found in "Mass Market"

AIPO Dry Cabinet is a digital controller and digital display.

As Analog controller cannot set desire RH.

I can describe in a simple term between Analog Controller and Digital Controller as below
Analog Controller - Just like a fan. You can set the speed of the controller. However, it will keep running. Therefore, it might cause the RH drop more the desire RH. You have to monitor closely RH in the cabinet.

Digital Controller - Just like a "Air-Con". You set the desire RH in the controller. After the RH in cabinet reach the desire RH (or the set value of RH), the controller will cut-off automatically.

There is why I highly recommend using Digital Controller Dry Cabinet to keep your expensive camera gadget

Not sure whether anyone are interested on AIPO Dry Cabinet which can be found in "Mass Market"

AIPO Dry Cabinet is a digital controller and digital display.

As Analog controller cannot set desire RH.

I can describe in a simple term between Analog Controller and Digital Controller as below
Analog Controller - Just like a fan. You can set the speed of the controller. However, it will keep running. Therefore, it might cause the RH drop more the desire RH. You have to monitor closely RH in the cabinet.

Digital Controller - Just like a "Air-Con". You set the desire RH in the controller. After the RH in cabinet reach the desire RH (or the set value of RH), the controller will cut-off automatically.

There is why I highly recommend using Digital Controller Dry Cabinet to keep your expensive camera gadget
Once you get the right settings in the analogue control, no need to adjust anymore, no?

And just in case you missed it out, here it goes again:
APSG01, do you have service center in Singapore?

In the end, it's up to the individual to make full use of his equipments and resources. I don't think digital or analogue have absolute strengths over the other.

Digital products offers ease of use for the first time (debatable) and more options, no doubt, but not more sensitive (have never seen air-con cutting off at the exact/same temperature reading everytime) and is more prone to breakdowns due to more electrical parts. (Electric kettles can be used for >10 years. Fanciful airpots don't last >5 years. Stove kettles can be used for decades)

I would have gladly given Aipo a try, but being quite stingy, I found a storewide clearance sale, bargained with the salesman and got my dry cabinet cheaper.

Just to add for the record: got my AIPO dry cabby today 03/01/2010 as they only deliver on Sundays. Waited patiently since contacting APSG01 to place my order on 29/12/2009.

The set is now humming quietly in the corner and its so quiet that I forgot it was running save for the little red led light.

To all considering to buy or not to buy? Why bother asking? Go out and buy a AIPO. You certainly won't regret.

After reading, I think is time for me to buy a dry cabinet soon.

After reading, I think is time for me to buy a dry cabinet soon.

wise decision... u certainly wouldn't regret getting one n it'll put ur mind at ease...

I'm also currently using an AIPO dry cabinet... more ex because it's fully digital dehumidifier and hygrometer.

wise decision... u certainly wouldn't regret getting one n it'll put ur mind at ease...

I'm also currently using an AIPO dry cabinet... more ex because it's fully digital dehumidifier and hygrometer.

what is the difference between AIPO and DIGI-Cab? the prices are alot of difference.

what is the difference between AIPO and DIGI-Cab? the prices are alot of difference.

From my point of view:
There's no difference cos the end result is the same. What is different is the technology used in achieving the same end result.

For AIPO, they called it the "T.E. Cooling Technology". Sounds like a very sophisticated technology but in realty it is nothing more than some simple circuitry supporting a peltier chip which will lower the temperature of the cooling plate which will condense the mositure which will be drained off into the back plate. The backplate (evaporator) is heated up by the same chip and it dries up the drained off condensed liquid.

This whole process is measured digitally and if the set RH value (45%) is met, the process is stopped otherwise it continues with the process.

For Digi-Cabi, they also use the same method but with a small difference. The digital hydrometer is a seperate system, i.e. it only measures the RH value. The RH value must still be set manually and fine tuned accordingly based on the readings shown by the digital hydrometer. However, once it is set and settled in, no further adjustment is necessary.

AIPO is considered a closed loop system and Digi-Cabi is a open loop system. The difference in price you pay is for the convenience of setting the initial value. AIPO is set and forget. Digi-Cabi is set, check, set again, wait, check and set again ... This inconvenience is enough to pay the little bit of extra money.

Having a dry cabinet is a good investment and will also put your mind at ease. However, having a dry cabinet is not a 100% guarantee that fungus will not fester and grow during prolonged storage. It will only make it much more difficult for fungus to spread.

is it common for a dry cabinet to break down? i got mine and it broke down the very next day. i managed to get a refund and is switching to a dry box now. it's working fine for me but i am very tempted to try getting a dry cabinet again. should i?

is it common for a dry cabinet to break down? i got mine and it broke down the very next day. i managed to get a refund and is switching to a dry box now. it's working fine for me but i am very tempted to try getting a dry cabinet again. should i?

The basic idea is to keep your camera dry. Whether you use a dry box or dry cabinet, the end result is still the same. If you have budget for a dry cabinet, then invest in one. You can store more.

Status
Not open for further replies.