Dr Lee Wei Ling against Olympics

Well, for Singaporeans that can actually afford cameras la, I agree with you. That's why we take up photography as a hobby, no? :dunno:

Yes you are right. :)

edutilos- said:
Uh huh, there are loads of inventions which could arguably be perceived as not making the life of collective humanity better.

Like computers, sure, they've improved the lives of people in countries that actually have them. You can develop all the technology you want, but to a sweatshop kid it probably means that he just has to work harder with the same pay since the Internet has made the convenience of purchasing things better and thus raised the demand for whatever he produces. :)

If the Olympics serves as entertainment value, it actually improves someone's life. Quite a lot of "someones" actually. It's just not applicable to "humanity" as a whole. So it does depend on what part of humanity you are looking at, whether you're talking about Olympics or inventions. ;)

I see it from another angle.
All the problems we r facing in this world, climate change, global warming, poverty, war, disease etc, don't human intervention play a part in it?
U might say sure without human invention, we may not find the cure for disease like smallpox or without computer, we may not be able to have all the gadgets n technological advances we enjoy now.
But rather, all these human creations they do create more problems than solutions for us.

Is she writing in her own capacity as a Singaporean or as the daughter of the former prime minister?

Well, I'll take whatever she said with a pinch of salt.

I heard that few years back she wrote that SG spending monies to build a Bio-Tech R&D hub was a waste of money and it should instead go the Nero Science where she's the Head :think:. Got into a very public debate with AStar Head Philip Yeo. Can anyone remember that?

yqt said:

I heard that few years back she wrote that SG spending monies to build a Bio-Tech R&D hub was a waste of money and it should instead go the Nero Science where she's the Head :think:. Got into a very public debate with AStar Head Philip Yeo. Can anyone remember that?

Agree..everyone has a vested interest

If she's so concerned about using gov money for the betterment of the public, she should write about how being a minister/MP is a calling to serve and do not justify the high pay, she'll get lots of support from the public for this.

My stand is...we should continue working and trainings in sports But ! With only our own citizen to participate at least..?..

I see no point bringing in people from foreign countries and then participate for us. To me this is waste of money. Its just so funny to see 1 country taking athletes of another country and then go compete with many other country or even against their own country (used to be..). And then if they win for us. We still have to pay them a bounty sum of money..

(Infact many countries are doing it now - Getting athletes from another country). If thats the case. I, myself really see no point..because its suppose to be You against me. Not Me against Me. (don't get me wrong.. this got nothing to do if gold-silver-bronze of a same sports goes to the same country).

However if its a real pure citizen. Of course by all means. I support wholeheartedly

I see no point bringing in people from foreign countries and then participate for us. To me this is waste of money.

However if its a real pure citizen. Of course by all means. I support wholeheartedly

Singapore should target 20 golds at the Rio Olympics. We must quickly offer money and citizenship to:

Usain Bolt
Yohan Blake
Ryan Lochte
Lionel Messi
Diego Maradona
Lee Chong Wei
Ki Bo Bae
Ding Ning
Ishikawa Kasumi
Etc

Maybe Michael Sandel can write an additional chapter to his book :angel:

well, first you need to have citizens willing to step up to the plate to take part :bsmilie:

What she advocated that Singapore concentrate on niche areas where we can excel instead of butting heads with the big boys who have more resources than we have.

A*Star is already 10 years old, and the return on investment is very shaky and they announced quite a large change in direction recently and plenty of people are unhappy. God knows how long they will keep this up.