Does Pentax users use mainly the kit lenses or cheap primes?

Canon
EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM - no RRP | $2080 (CP) | $2400 (MS) | $2220 (TCW, grey)
EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM - $2999 (RRP) | $2400 (JO, Mar09) | $2350 (MS, Apr10) | $2388 (SLRR, Dec09) | $2400 (CP-M, Mar10) $2380 (MS, w/ GST, May10)
EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM - $1899 (RRP) | $1540 (MS, May10)$1530 (PA, w/ GST, Jun10)$1535 (MS, w/ GST, Jun10) |$1599 CP-P w/ GST Jul10

Nikon
AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED DX
$1,930 (John, Sep08 - Xanadu)
$2220.00 (without GST, CP, Oct09, JH)

Yes considering the price of 14xx for the 16-50 its indeed cheaper. However there is no 2nd hand available due to lower number of ppl using pentax. I feel there is more value for 2nd hand items =)

Btw just a question for pentax K-5 users. Why did you buy from emjay during the launch of k-5? I tot emjay sells at RRP? thats the reason why i initially thought that emjay was selling at street price. pardon my noobness :eek:

And if i wanna try out the ergonomics of the k-5, i have to go to reputable shops to try right? With no obligation to buy is it possible to still test?

I remember there are ppls selling their 16-55…
But of cos you have to be fast… because everyone know it is one of the good lens to replace kits...

I also have some old/ cheap prime lens too…
I got a M42 50 1.4 @ $100 only…
Also have the cheap DFA100mm…(i mean still cheaper than C&N but is a great lens)

they pre-order their K-5 at much lower price then the RRP... but i no money so didn't buy...:sticktong

they pre-order their K-5 at much lower price then the RRP... but i no money so didn't buy...:sticktong

lets refrain from making such statements... its misleading and can cause misunderstandings.

the price is competitive, but nothing like what you're insinuating.

i think SLR Rev's price is very competitive as well. :)

i think moonlightsg is not being a sourgrape, he's just stating a fact..
which is MJ gave something in return to the loyal supporters.

and u guys really dont have to feel offended or defend MJ since there's neither falsifications nor accusations

i think moonlightsg is not being a sourgrape, he's just stating a fact..
which is MJ gave something in return to the loyal supporters.

and u guys really dont have to feel offended or defend MJ since there's neither falsifications nor accusations

emjay provided predictable supply of a high-demand items that was only available in limited quantities at a reasonable price, to its loyal supporters who pre-ordered and paid a deposit. that's it.

suggesting that the item was sold at a "much lower price" is factually incorrect. i know because i bought one :rolleyes:

as far as i am concerned, i am neither offended nor defending emjay. i am just stating a fact.

lets refrain from making such statements... its misleading and can cause misunderstandings.

the price is competitive, but nothing like what you're insinuating.

i think SLR Rev's price is very competitive as well. :)
emjay provided predictable supply of a high-demand items that was only available in limited quantities at a reasonable price, to its loyal supporters who pre-ordered and paid a deposit. that's it.

suggesting that the item was sold at a "much lower price" is factually incorrect. i know because i bought one :rolleyes:

as far as i am concerned, i am neither offended nor defending emjay. i am just stating a fact.

sorry to cause mis-understanding... i should say below RRP only not the street price... because TS think that the emjay only sell them at RRP...

that's life, you shouldn't feel sour grapes about such thing.
ya... anyway i have no plan to upgrade, just want to get one more body when i save enough... and i don't mind it is K-x...

Last edited:
Emjay's prices are very high. I bought the 16-50mm from Alanphoto at Funan for under $1200 in Sept this year. I bought the 14mm also from Alanphoto early this year (Shriro's stock) for less than $900. The 14mm is really good - no distortion at all - when I shoot group or table shots, I'd use manual focus & set to infinity. Infinity is less than 4 feet - perfectly sharp pictures. Prefer to buy original Pentax lenses. Other makes do not have much choices with Pentax mount. Shop around to get the best prices.

Last edited:
Emjay's prices are very high. I bought the 16-50mm from Alanphoto at Funan for under $1200 in Sept this year. I bought the 14mm also from Alanphoto early this year (Shriro's stock) for less than $900. The 14mm is really good - no distortion at all - when I shoot group or table shots, I'd use manual focus & set to infinity. Infinity is less than 4 feet - perfectly sharp pictures. Prefer to buy original Pentax lenses. Other makes do not have much choices with Pentax mount. Shop around to get the best prices.

the web-store sells at RRP. street price is usually better. and emjay, as the distri, can't be selling at a price that is in direct competition with the retailers right? :)

There are older Pentax manual primes you can find in B&S or even in Pentaxforums or Pentaxuser or EvilBay for reasonable prices. Vivitar, Cosina, Ricoh, Chinon and others all have K-mount lenses for a reasonable price too.