Does a DSLR made a better Photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Pretty obvious when DLSRs users flourish here in the last few years.

:bsmilie: anyway thanks for sharing that article. i really enjoyed it. since this thread is in kopitiam, i'll just OT a bit to say that i really love this line at the end that goes ''Please feel free to copy and post or quote this comment elsewhere, since it seems that some people are missing the point completely.''

Actually still not so bad esp in photography wise, consumers still can choose between film SLR, DSLR, pns, Holga, rangefinder, MF, FF etc etc, but not movie recording.

While both have their respective advantages (being discussed in another thread)... one can't deny that DSLRs are by far the format that covers the broadest range and/or is the most popular systems. So I'm assuming that an average Joe on the street would benefit from using a DSLR as opposed to a P&S.... they to get to capture more of what they like and want. That in my definition makes them a better photographer... but can their pics compare to those like yours...then nope.

don't really get the part in red

most of your average joes.. don't know what iso/shutter speed/etc etc is

neither can they really appreciate image quality

like i was exasperatedly trying to explain the difference between a noisy photo and a non-noisy one to a friend who wanted to take up photography, i was told that the blurry, grainy effect is highly desired on his end because it looked "arty" to him

well, art is subjective after all, but i didn't know whether to laugh or cry

Better than explaining half a day about which lens have a better quality, in the end he just want a cheaper one.

Better than explaining half a day about which lens have a better quality, in the end he just want a cheaper one.

actually, i was trying to explain to him the pros and cons of dslr over prosumer, i.e. what he should expect when getting a prosumer, and what he should expect when getting a dslr lor

:bsmilie: anyway thanks for sharing that article. i really enjoyed it. since this thread is in kopitiam, i'll just OT a bit to say that i really love this line at the end that goes ''Please feel free to copy and post or quote this comment elsewhere, since it seems that some people are missing the point completely.''

teehee, i like luminous landscape, most of the time

that article could be essentially summarised in the portion you quoted though.. about different people having different needs - unhappily buried underneath some long monologue about what makes up a camera which i just read; i do not understand the meaning behind that part in addressing the issue, at the very least, seems very frivolous to me

Haa, I was also explaining to that guy about the difference between two particular models and he told me he prefer quality, so I recommend the more ex one but in the end he chose totally different and much cheaper one.

don't really get the part in red

most of your average joes.. don't know what iso/shutter speed/etc etc is

neither can they really appreciate image quality

like i was exasperatedly trying to explain the difference between a noisy photo and a non-noisy one to a friend who wanted to take up photography, i was told that the blurry, grainy effect is highly desired on his end because it looked "arty" to him

well, art is subjective after all, but i didn't know whether to laugh or cry

Refer to my first line of that post.

the part in red was referring to those whom shoots wif P&S, they would benefit from using a DSLR. Since DSLRs are quicker and more responsive, they would get more of those "candid" shots that they usually take as oppose to those they need to pose. But of course there are just generalisation and there are odds ones that prefers Lomo and such..normally they are at the 2 ends of a bell curve.

BTW, I'm an advocate of using "P"rofessional mode unless you want "creative" shots.

Refer to my first line of that post.

the part in red was referring to those whom shoots wif P&S, they would benefit from using a DSLR. Since DSLRs are quicker and more responsive, they would get more of those "candid" shots that they usually take as oppose to those they need to pose. But of course there are just generalisation and there are odds ones that prefers Lomo and such..normally they are at the 2 ends of a bell curve.

BTW, I'm an advocate of using "P"rofessional mode unless you want "creative" shots.
ah, i get what you mean now.

Program mode? to be honest,i don't even know what it is about; i have never used it before, from what i understand it is like auto mode, but you can choose iso and wb.. correct me if i'm wrong.

I am amused.

The title of the thread is "Does a DSLR made (sic) a better Photographer"?

I think it is fair to say that a better/more appropriate equipment can enable a user to work better. In this case, a better/more appropriate equipment (DSLR) can potentially enable the photographer to make a better photograph.

Like a sharper knife can slice the sashimi better.
Like a bus can enable the driver to carry more people at one go.
Like a 500mm lens can allow the photographer to take a better picture of a flying humming bird, than a 24 mm lens.
Like the Nikon D3 can enable the photographer to make a "cleaner" image at ISO 3200 than the Olympus E1.

So a DSLR can enable the photographer to potentially make better pictures. Of course this does not mean that good creative photographers cannot make great images with simpler consumer cameras.

But really, does the photographer change when he switches from a consumer camera to a DSLR - and become a better photographer?

i think this thread would be better off with a poll. :bsmilie:

Thanks for the fast reply... I heard from quite a number of ppl saying when using a DSLR u must shoot in the M mode or else must well use PNS.. It sadden mi tat ppl feel tat way. Tot the outcome of the photo more important than wat mode u are using..:cry:

lol...those are the elitists talking. can ask them go fly kite lah. you paid good money for your dslr right? so go ahead and use it however you please. :p

D3C_8828s.jpg

n

2183202080_6cec0f0d23_o.jpg

Which 1 u like... :bsmilie:

both also dun like cos pic 1 too much headroom and pic 2 plastic bag distracting :sweatsm:

Oei, u guys dun get carried away with the comparison of the pic leh. hahaha... ;p
Its a package.

Ultimately, give the rite man the rite tools... and wonders would happen.

Same time, same place...just different cameras.

DSCN0259.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

psst.....what that bright triangle at the lower left? :p

ah, i get what you mean now.

Program mode? to be honest,i don't even know what it is about; i have never used it before, from what i understand it is like auto mode, but you can choose iso and wb.. correct me if i'm wrong.

From my K100D experience... Pentax have a much more controllable P mode, IIRC can set min and max values for quite a lot of parameters.

You should try it altho I know you shoot landscapes and have all the time in the world to bracket your exposure, no need the speed.

Thanks again for all the advises given by all the bros here...;)

both also dun like cos pic 1 too much headroom and pic 2 plastic bag distracting :sweatsm:

Aiyoh.. pic1 can crop somemore lah.. ;p Want to show the nice nice bokeh behind mah.. ;p

I am amused.

But really, does the photographer change when he switches from a consumer camera to a DSLR - and become a better photographer?

Continue to be amused.. people who post here can be quite amusing.. ;p

An average PnS shooter will not become a better photographer the moment he/she lays his/her hands on a DSLR. Sometimes it may be worse because there are certain functions which are never found in PnS. But of course, given time and effort, that person can eventually become a better photographer with a DSLR than stuck with a PnS.

An example is the control of DoF. "A larger aperture can reduce the DoF so that you can use selective focus.." A person using PnS, changing aperture in the manual mode from f/4 to f/5.6 will ask... "Is there any difference? It's sharp all over..." So how is he/she able to learn?

actually in all

owning a dslr just makes u a dslr owner...not a photographer...

or like what i love to say..

owning a nikon dslr makes u a nikon owner, not a photographer...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.