Do you think photo printing will be replaced by digital photo frame in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a little further in the future, with more development of "ePaper" and "eInk" type technologies, you'd have something that looks/feels like paper, but can be electronically updated to display almost anything including your photos.

I believe for the time being, everyone still prefer hardcopy than digital frame, but who can predict the future? Long long time ago, they dun even have paper to print, so to them no ways future will have paper. To me, yes, one day digital frame will replace photo printing. Same thing also happen to digital camera.

I believe for the time being, everyone still prefer hardcopy than digital frame, but who can predict the future? Long long time ago, they dun even have paper to print, so to them no ways future will have paper. To me, yes, one day digital frame will replace photo printing. Same thing also happen to digital camera.

Yes, agree with you, few yrs ago when DSLR(e.g. Canon 60D) first launched in the market most of the professional photographers said there's no way for digital cam to replace film cam because film can capture more details than digital sensor and the quality achieved by film cam is much more higher than digital.....but now you see....Canon 1D Mark III, Nikon D3, even medium format also using digital back.

Perhaps a little further in the future, with more development of "ePaper" and "eInk" type technologies, you'd have something that looks/feels like paper, but can be electronically updated to display almost anything including your photos.

i forsee this future. In fact, I'm working on technologies that could promote this area.

There could be a day when an entire 20page 24"X12" coffeetable album will be entirely digital, one can flip the pages ~2mm thick and the images are bright and crisp and are turned on only when you want them to.

There's no need for frames in this case.

For the power solution for long lasting 'digital' frames, the problem here is that LCD uses backlit technology which would consume lotsa energy. For a printed picture, natural/artificial light reflects of the pigment, hence there's no need for any backlit. There could be e-inks that can change the top-part of a pixel to a certain pigment, hence only during switching or refresh rates that energy needs to be consumed.

Yes, printed pictures with certain finishes etc may never be replaced by 'digital paper' one day, but see how CMOS/CCD sensors have come so close or even surpass flim/grain.

The day will come! I hope in 5-10yrs time I can be part of the creation of all these....

would dead pixels be a thing of the past? would another technology replace the digital viewer tt renders the technology in a short time?

wonder if some still remember those large LDs (laser disc). as technology advances at an ever increasing pace, wads new now may become old too soon...

Just take the example of painted pictures and portraits. Even with the invention of cameras, there are still people that paint pictures using the good old paint brush and canvas sheet.

Though both are art, I think painting is a different entity to be compared in such a way

At the moment, prints for me!
In a way it is just like the way i prefer to read off a book than an e-book
But in future too many new and exciting things can happen, but why not

Ryan

Do you think photo printing will be replaced by digital photo frame in the future? Recently, I noticed tthat there are a lot of such product selling in the market. I also saw it in COMEX, the resolution is quite good even in big screen like 16", 18" and it supports slide show, jpeg, mp3 and a lot of functions. It is so convinient, you just need to slot in your memory card in the frame then, you can immediately view your photos without wasting time for printing and also need not to worry about the quality of printer/ink/photo paper, printer calibration....etc.

if it ever drop below $50 for a start? i may just replace all 8 of the photo frames i have. too pricey still.

there was a report that the sales/ quantity from sales of it will go up by 120% in the next 12-18 months but then, i see liao, then see fine print, that report was generated by the makers of the frames themselves...knn....

if it ever drop below $50 for a start? i may just replace all 8 of the photo frames i have. too pricey still.

there was a report that the sales/ quantity from sales of it will go up by 120% in the next 12-18 months but then, i see liao, then see fine print, that report was generated by the makers of the frames themselves...knn....

Too pricey plus too low res.

Pro
- Display Photos Slides
- Play Movies and sound
- Display photo in Calendar format
- Innovative and Portable

Con
- Poor Resolution ; should improve the resolution
- Expensive ; lower cost would be better
- Need power ; solar would be better

No need to replace all 8 frames mah, just buy 1 frame and display all your photos in one frame with slide show. You can even display > 8 photos depends on how big is the memory the frame supports.

No need to replace all 8 frames mah, just buy 1 frame and display all your photos in one frame with slide show. You can even display > 8 photos depends on how big is the memory the frame supports.

Still photos will gradually be replaced by short videos, like Harry Potter. I forsee that the digital photo frames will be used to display more of short video clips. Just like a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a thousand pictures.

In the future, old school print media will be slowly replaced by thinner, flatter LCD. So instead of reading a paper, you will read it on a screen. A short video can be embedded in the place of the pictures, so you can see moving pictures instead of stills. And that will be so cool. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.