Do you remove your UV filter when you use a polariser?

You remove your UV or not when using a polariser?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some do and some don't. Why?
simplest answer would be, take pictures using polariser with and without the UV filter in various situations. If there is obvious difference..remove the filter/change the filter.

as simple as that.

I use a Nikon DX Format camera (D300) and a FX lens (24-70mmf2.8), so using a UV as protection together with a polarizer do not result in vignetting. I do not remove the UV so as to avoid dust on lens front element and this also saves me time. Otherwise I will be fumbling with the filters everytime I change them. Some may say using two filters together will deteriorate quality. Maybe so, but I find it better than having dust particles all over the lens element and I have actually dropped a filter while fumbing. Also faster in gettuiing ready to press the shutter.
But I will have to fumble again when I switch to full frameFX. ;-)

remove the UV filter if I have one on...i dont normally stack filters...

yeah sometimes i put the uv on...

But, which one is the correct way, put in the polarizer filter first or the uv filter first?

hahahah

I don't think it really matters which way around it goes but I personally will remove the UV filter and use only the CPL. I had the bad experience of stacking on my 17-85mm and had some vignetting on the edges.

Kelvin

will it be any big affect on the image if i have attached uv filter along with cpl compare with only cpl?
other than vignetting, will uvfilter affect the colors?

will it be any big affect on the image if i have attached uv filter along with cpl compare with only cpl?
other than vignetting, will uvfilter affect the colors?

It should not affect te colours etc. However, at wide angles it may cause some distortion at the edges.

Kelvin

There is no simple answer because there are many factors. So it really depends on the equipment, lighting conditions and other shooting conditions. A photographer may prefer to remove the UV before adding the CPL but will have to deviate from time to time.

Reasons to remove the UV filter:
  • Prevent vignetting at wide angles
  • Minimize degradation of image quality (flare, reduced contrast)

Reasons to not remove the UV:
  • Minimize chances of dirtying or scratching the front element of the lens
  • Minimize chances of dropping the filters
  • Minimize the time needed to apply and remove the CPL

The questions to ask, not just related to whether the UV should be removed first, but also whether or not to use the polarizer filter in the first place:
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY: What am I trying to capture and how can a CPL improve the picture? Do I even need it for this shot in the first place?
  • Can I afford the 2-stop light lost?
  • How much time do I have to take the shot?
  • Is capturing the moment more important than saturation of the sky and reduction of reflections?
  • Am I using a wide angle lens?
  • Do I have slim form factor CPL?
  • Is my CPL multi coated?
  • Am I in a location safe enough for adding/changing filters? Will I drop something while fumbling with the filters? If I drop something with it break and will it be retrievable?
-Roy :)

Becasue i'm lazy. Will only remove if using wide angle lens due to vignetting.

Just tried a Tamron CPL filter over a Hoya UV filter... no visible vignetting from my 18-200mm when looking thru the LCD.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.