Do you leave your circular polariser on the lens all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
precisely my point! i broke one filter because of too much screwing action that i dropped the filter onto the hard floor and it was smashed.

Even so, I would not leave the CPL on full time - it would cripple the camera's performance and give you all sorts of strange effects unless you are careful. I certainly would not want to miss shots because I have to dial in a higher ev, or even worse, because I am busy turning the CPL to get light coming in at the correct angle.

precisely my point! i broke one filter because of too much screwing action that i dropped the filter onto the hard floor and it was smashed.

...In short, don't be lazy and be more careful.

Would you rather leave your filter on and get 2 stops down for everything you take.. Say for example got pretty girl walk by and you take photo of her and you end up getting a blurred face.

Are you willing to sacrifice those shots for a screwing action? If you are then do it, if you aren't then don't do it. I don't see any point in this thread because people tell you their side of the story and you just keep repeating yourself. No offense meant.

This is like asking whether you should use lens hood or not. If you like then use lor, then live with the trouble of putting it on.. If you don't like then don't use lor, then live with the increased chances of flare, shrug.

...In short, don't be lazy and be more careful.

Would you rather leave your filter on and get 2 stops down for everything you take.. Say for example got pretty girl walk by and you take photo of her and you end up getting a blurred face.

Are you willing to sacrifice those shots for a screwing action? If you are then do it, if you aren't then don't do it. I don't see any point in this thread because people tell you their side of the story and you just keep repeating yourself. No offense meant.

This is like asking whether you should use lens hood or not. If you like then use lor, then live with the trouble of putting it on.. If you don't like then don't use lor, then live with the increased chances of flare, shrug.

wah lao bro,

cool down lah. i am asking for opinion only leh. anyway, I also seldom use PL. seems like most of you don't use one too and PL is not that cheap also.

wah lao bro,

cool down lah. i am asking for opinion only leh. anyway, I also seldom use PL. seems like most of you don't use one too and PL is not that cheap also.
Bleh, I'm not fired up or anything, just stating the opinion.. If you're not bothered enough to use something, then that's about it. If you think it is important enough you will use it. Simply put.

Hope you didn't get the idea wrong, I am not slamming you.

Hi, so have any of you guys tried to stack the CPL onto your uv filter? So that means that you only screw and unscrew the CPL as and when you need it? Will it cause any problem even if the UV filter is a slim one (eg. Pro1D)??

my cpl is always fixed onto my 12-24(use this lens usually for outdoor and landscape)
the rest of the time 17-55 is used
:)

Hi, so have any of you guys tried to stack the CPL onto your uv filter? So that means that you only screw and unscrew the CPL as and when you need it? Will it cause any problem even if the UV filter is a slim one (eg. Pro1D)??

haha.. I hope you don't ever do this. Did this quite a bit in new zealand with a poor UV filter and a poor CPL. Disaster. Pictures were rescuable, but turned out very very dissapointing. The amount of light bouncing in between the filters and lens will certainly cause much loss of image quality if you have two filters, one on top of the other.

LOL. I know someone who does this. And afterward he'd complain that he gets awful (weird colors/tones) pictures.

To the Threadstarter -
If you find it bothersome, then keep the Circ-Pol off. It isn't everyday and everytime that you need it. Just screw it on when you do. Simple.

The other thing is - know what is the use of a CPL versus a ND4/ND8 versus a Grad ND. They work differently. I suspect what you may find more use for is a Grad ND... unless reflections is your primary issue in the pictures you want to take.

Firstly, thank you all for sharing. I learnt quite a lot from reading this thread.

The other thing is - know what is the use of a CPL versus a ND4/ND8 versus a Grad ND. They work differently. I suspect what you may find more use for is a Grad ND... unless reflections is your primary issue in the pictures you want to take.

I am still trying to decide if I should buy a CPL or ND Grad or ND. I love taking landscapes, sunrise and sunsets pictures. I especially like blue skies with or without clouds. From my various readings, I noted that a CPL will maintain the blue in the sky and clear contrast with clouds. Does a ND Grad do the same?

As CPL is 2 stops down, it can also be use like a ND except that they are not neutral. Is that true?

Lastly, I have 3 lenses of various diameters. Is there a one size fits all CPL/ND Grad/ND?

Lastly, I have 3 lenses of various diameters. Is there a one size fits all CPL/ND Grad/ND?
#1, buy the biggest diameter filter and use a step up ring, or
#2, buy the lens that you will be commonly use for landscape.

anyway, I always buy different sizes filter for different lens, too troublesome to use step up ring, beside, lens hood don't fit also.

CPL should be neutral as well. Just that you get more light in certain angles, and you get little effect if you are shooting directly into the sun (or near).

The NDGrad is useful in improving the dynamic range if the sky is very bright and the subject (usually landscape?) is darker. It will darken the clouds and the sky similarly.

As CPL is 2 stops down, it can also be use like a ND except that they are not neutral. Is that true?
The cpl filter color tend to bluish. But, it might depend on brand as well.

Regards,
Arto.

just get a ND filter if you need it, it is not very expensive, and need not to worry about remembering to cancel out the polarizing effects when you don't want to.

for me, i used it when i wanted to achieve some effects. Else i will leave a UV filter.. as a first line of protection for my lens.

CPL is already acting ND 2 filter inclusively. If u want a blue sky for landscape shots, use a CPL.. ;)

just get a ND filter if you need it, it is not very expensive, and need not to worry about remembering to cancel out the polarizing effects when you don't want to.

yah.. ND filters are cheap.. about 16-19 dollars a piece. :bsmilie:

Maybe u can try getting the Cir Pol from Cokin that allows u to just slot in and out of the holder. U can leave the holder on / use the holder for other filters. Cheap and convinient to use.

nope... no cir-pol should be on all the time- an uncalled for disaster.....:nono:

Ok, let me rephrase the question, a CIR-PL or a hood is better for reducing glare? Well, yeah I am a lazy bum :) I read from somewhere it says CIR-PL can reduce highlight on very sunny days. My main use PL is to saturate the sky for landscape shots,and that's it. Removing of reflection is not important for me. I guess I don't really need a PL then because saturation can be tuned in PS easily.

CPL reduces reflection and glare, thereby darken and deepen colors. it reduces light intensity and not just the highlight.

hood is to reduce flare, not glare.

:sweat:

this kind of question also ask

i think it is legitimate. newbie corner rite?

besides, i'm also always on the lookout for better methods. it is not just a matter of being lazy. being fast and smooth is the key to more photo opportunities, esp for travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.