Do you choose to print matte or glossy?

Do u choose to print matte or glossy

Results are only viewable after voting.

Prefer gloss. Hardly print in matte cos it looks rather dead. Gloss offers the photo more colours and seems more alive.

Fingerprints are a problem though. And it always sticks to plastics of photo albums. Sometimes they even stick to each other when not placed properly.

Well...rem to file ur glossy photos in albums before passing them around.

Instead of plastics, i use photo corners, and acid free albums with a wax paper in between each page. More expensive though. I feel by using plastic sleeve album somehow spoils the quality of the photos, visually. I print gloss most of the time.

Btw, may i know where can i print S8R in metallic/chrome gloss? Roughly how much?

TIA.

i prefer matte... becos rarely print higher than 4R...

errr....slight OT with the permission of TS?! (but its a related Ques)

what brand of paper do u all use? reason i ask is that unlike printer inks where it is always advisable to buy original canon or hp etc ink cartridges, do we have to follow the same in paper too? after all good quality paper is quite easy to make for a third party manufacturer and why should we spend more $$$ on just a brand name paper.

Recently found this brand of paper in Carrefour called SEPOMs...looked quite good to me in terms of gloss, quality of paper, packaging etc....and is made by a Singaporean manufacturer (to me made in S'pore is also a reinforcement of good quality v/s other countries) and moreover hoping that the folks at Carrefour also do some basic QC & selection.

The price of this was at least 50% of the hp/cannon papers in the 4R type. But obviously dont wanna be penny wise & pound foolish....only to realise that precious pics have faded 6-12 months later....! :sweat:

Any comments by fellow cs'ers here who might have tried this or other third party papers or from someone who has a good idea of printing paper!??

Thanks muchly in advance mates! :thumbsup:

how about Semi-Gloss? good?
i usually print Gloss.

errr....slight OT with the permission of TS?! (but its a related Ques)

what brand of paper do u all use? reason i ask is that unlike printer inks where it is always advisable to buy original canon or hp etc ink cartridges, do we have to follow the same in paper too? after all good quality paper is quite easy to make for a third party manufacturer and why should we spend more $$$ on just a brand name paper.

Recently found this brand of paper in Carrefour called SEPOMs...looked quite good to me in terms of gloss, quality of paper, packaging etc....and is made by a Singaporean manufacturer (to me made in S'pore is also a reinforcement of good quality v/s other countries) and moreover hoping that the folks at Carrefour also do some basic QC & selection.

The price of this was at least 50% of the hp/cannon papers in the 4R type. But obviously dont wanna be penny wise & pound foolish....only to realise that precious pics have faded 6-12 months later....! :sweat:

Any comments by fellow cs'ers here who might have tried this or other third party papers or from someone who has a good idea of printing paper!??

Thanks muchly in advance mates! :thumbsup:

If you have a print profiler, it's ok to use any paper, otherwise the colours may not be accurate. I use Fujifilm Supreme, trying out Ilford also..

Matte for my own bigger prints to keep.
Glossy 4R prints to give to friends

Ryan

Prefer matt prints too as glossy sticks to the album and fingerprints are a problem too.

I prefer glossy to matte.

the company I'm at; they print matt for the clients... however for 8R and above they normally print glossy and then laminated... personally glossy is nice... dislike the sticky feeling though.. matt is just as good.. depends on the situation i guess... i noticed that a glossy photo of mine has faded alot from 2 years back although the matt ones are still color rich... and the matt ones were my baby photos! :bsmilie:
Su

Do not know whether is this the right thread to ask, Sorry in advance if I am wrong. :)

1)Among the labs, which lab produce nice matt prints?

2)It seems that many had recommended the fuji Lustre. If I would like to print the "Lustre", do I just quote this name to the staff or just ask for Matt and they will print in Lustre format?

Thank you in advance. Perhaps can PM me to discuss. :)

I print matte and never try glossy before. Maybe I should try some day.

The plastic protective layer of the album pages will make a matte look glossy.
Besides I avoid glossy because it doesn handle finger prints well and can stick onto surfaces.

Ryan

or in between ... semi gloss :D