Do photographers best work alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends.. i will love to be alone..

generally ideas seem to be able to come freely when im alone.

but if you are talking about heavy equips..having an asistant will be a bonus..

While there may some "ambiguity" in the question raised by the threader starter, the essence of his question is totally "non-ambiguous".

Basically, he was trying to find out the prefered working methods of photographers.

And as always, there will be many working methods.

I loathe to work with others. Of course there has to be a subject to be photographed - whether that be still life, landscape, streets, documentary or person/model. In photographing portraits, one of course need a "model". But the essence of my working method is to work "alone". Unlike espn who find working with a model for 20 mins led to the same pose, I actually work with ONE model for at least two hours, if not more. My longest is working with ONE model for a day. No props. No make-up artist. No art director, etc. In fact I am toying with the idea of an extended session working alone with ONE model for several days.

I fing that for my kind of photography, having others around is distracting, and confuses my feelings.

On the other hand, PBS, works with a team of people. Time and again, PBS emphasised that his works are a result of teamwork. And the people who attended his course can attest to this. And I supposed PBS needs to work in a team, because of the type of images he produces (at least those I see here).

So there are different working methods, depending on personality,and the type of images you want to produce.

Sion said:
Do you still shoot alone if you have "specific reason"? :bsmilie:
Hmm... If "I prefer to work alone" counts as a reason, just take it as that. :)

Every photo is a special connection between the subject (even if its a static object), the equipment & the photographer. Producing what the photographer sees thru his eyes at that moment. There shld be no 3rd parties. :nono:

Sometime prefer to work alone.... I will get scare off by big big lens

this actually depends on what u are shooting wat,..... if u are a "birder" - bird shooter as i call them...u wun want one whole football team drinking beer there and scaring ya subjects would u?

similarly if u are covering an event like a fair for example..u tink one photog's gonna be enuff to cover the whole thing...if tt fairs expected turnout is ard 2000 ppl at one time???

its hard to tell ya.... buten wat i believe in is...in each scene...one photog is enuff.... no point in duplication...i take u stand 20cm away from me u get a slightly diff angle....

juz my 2 cts

Witness said:
its hard to tell ya.... buten wat i believe in is...in each scene...one photog is enuff.... no point in duplication...i take u stand 20cm away from me u get a slightly diff angle....

I had this impression too, but one day I came from a shoot where there were 3-4 photographers shooting the same scene side-by-side. Their interpretations were totally different! Very interesting experiment.

Anyway, it all boils down to personal preference. If covering a big event, a second photographer helps - after all, you can't be at all places at the same time. But if you really can't work with a second photographer, then you can't.

well melnjes... i do agree tt its possible tt such a thing could happen...not ruling out this fact here... but if u have free reign over the whole shoot...then its up to the photog to find the best spot.... assignment wise tt is....

buten again...if shooting for fun...i like big groups...its a v communal thing...can make fwens and talk wat...not so boring wat hahahax

Status
Not open for further replies.