Discussion Lounge

FireWorms

Sep 9, 2008
I've discussed with teerex as mod of this forum for this thread.This thread is a discussion thread and
it'll start from me as Thread Starter. My goal as the Thread starter is i wanna make a IR open source,
together we explore the Infrared Photography.. :)

--
Introduction
--

As u know, infrared photography is a false colour. In digital, Digital cameras have a special infrared-blocking
filter in front of the light-sensitive CCD?CMOS array(called as hot mirror), as the IR light degrades the
visible-light color rendition (the CCD/CMOS itself reacts to wavelengths up to 1000 nanometers and even longer).
The question is how much of infrared will the filter let through, of course it's depend on the filter that we use
as the replacement for the hot mirror or we put in front of the lens and it'll affect the tone.
Photographs in infrared show quite unusual tonality, different than that to which we are used, and this may make
them esthetically pleasing, at least in many cases. Which, of course, is a matter of taste.

--
Consept of IR
--

801901.jpg

as you can see, there are 3 diff type of rays (i'll skip another rays like cosmic/gamma/microwaves/centimeter/ultra/shortwave/broadcast radio ect)

UV that has a wavelength below 400nm n VIS which has a wave length more than 400nm until 600 something.

and the question is, how if we want to let the sensor of our digital camera catch the infrared ray without any problem?
coz we know that, every digital camera have a hot mirror that :

• Reflect IR
• Transmit VIS

ok, some will say, use infrared filter like Hoya R72 or Cokin 007 (long-pass filter).It's correct, but you'll face the consecuences..
speed will drop n lack of variety tone. The better hot mirror will make the speed more drop.

my suggestion..operate ur cam :)

there are several thread about this.

important : find the meaning n the consept of longpass filter

--
BREAK THE RULE
--

I start my IR experiment since a year ago and i found something interested, will it be possible to mix the infrared
with VIS?or UV? coz i feel a bit dissapointed with full infrared, lack of colour. Break the rule, i keep on my mind that
infrared photography isn't only about infrared ray.

why?
1. Taste, some people prefer still love normal cam and most of them do not like iR coz zombie skintone if u shoot human skin
2. The real full iR is Black n white colour, GOD doesn't make a world in BW colour..make it colorful :)

how?

Last edited:
1 filter...
i can create..IR only > leaf = white
mix VIS + IR > a bit yellow
etc..

how?

sample image, all these photos are pure from cam...using d70 + 18-70

Untitled-1-2.jpg

Thanks to FireWorms for starting this Thread. As mentioned this is a Discussion Thread for sharing IR fundamentals, post processing techniques.

If you want to share your work flow for a unique IR picture. This is the place.

Please refrain from coming into this thread with questions like:-
- How do I set CWB for IR?
- Do I set CWB with the IR filter on or off the lens?
- How do I get started in shooting IR?
- Where can I have my camera modded for IR?
- etc.

Such queries in this thread will be deleted without notice. This is to keep it clean from questions where the answers can be found in other Stickies in the forum.

Many of you will agree that IR photography is unique and there are no boundaries in the creation of this unique artform.

Appreciate your co-operation and hope you guys can share and help create more awareness in this genre of photography.

thx mod :D

Let me add something new (at least I have not seen it discussed here before...)

Found this book by chance yesterday...
Went down to Riceball and glanced through the book, and I must say, it is quite promising, deals with IR topics quite different from the usual books I have read...

Ever tried shooting IR indoors?
  • Try attaching a ordinary flash to your camera. (works even better if you find a way to attach a Cokin filter to block out the normal spectrum)
  • Get your hands on a IR remote flash commander (works on most DSLR brands)
  • Get a IR lamp... Saw one 140 IR LED lamp from HK for S$40)
This will open up many opportunities for Indoor IR as well as possibly IR portraiture... :think:
Imagine setting up a IR lighting system very similar to that in a normal studio... :bigeyes:

Look out for more on this...

Note to MODs: I will do more testing and update / edit this post with my findings as well as test shots. Hope that is ok with you guys!

Let me add something new (at least I have not seen it discussed here before...)

Found this book by chance yesterday...
Went down to Riceball and glanced through the book, and I must say, it is quite promising, deals with IR topics quite different from the usual books I have read...

Ever tried shooting IR indoors?
  • Try attaching a ordinary flash to your camera. (works even better if you find a way to attach a Cokin filter to block out the normal spectrum)
  • Get your hands on a IR remote flash commander (works on most DSLR brands)
  • Get a IR lamp... Saw one 140 IR LED lamp from HK for S$40)
This will open up many opportunities for Indoor IR as well as possibly IR portraiture... :think:
Imagine setting up a IR lighting system very similar to that in a normal studio... :bigeyes:

Look out for more on this...

Note to MODs: I will do more testing and update / edit this post with my findings as well as test shots. Hope that is ok with you guys!

indoor ya?..quite interesting
only using normal studio lamp

_DSC1372_filtered_600w.jpg

almost 2 years ago..i forgot what kind of lamp that i used, but i'm quite sure that were normal studio lamp.

indoor ya?..quite interesting
only using normal studio lamp

_DSC1372_filtered_600w.jpg

almost 2 years ago..i forgot what kind of lamp that i used, but i'm quite sure that were normal studio lamp.

Continuous lighting? could be tungsten... the heat from the lamp can be emitted as IR... allowing studio IR...

nope..it isn't Continuous light...a set of JinBei