Disappointing Prints

Status
Not open for further replies.
alastdin said:
I've been disappointed by the results of the prints of the photos I've taken during a recent trip down south.

Has anyone ever had problem getting a photo lab to print out 4"x10" or 6"x6" digital images with a white border?

I've been to three labs and they all gave me three different results. :( One of them (the first one I went to) was kind enough to call me ahead of time to tell me that he had problems with image, so I agreed that he can go ahead to print it without the border. Sadly, that was the best result so far I've got. The second just printed out the image, happily cropping it the way she thought best without as much as asking. While the third just printed the image with the borders of different widths.

I don't know what's the problem. I cropped 4"x10" the first time, then 3.875"x9.875" and 6"x6" finally. Can anyone shed some light on the problem? or am I dealing with people who don't know what they're doing? I don't blame the first guy, but the rest is just downright disappointing.

Thanks!
Try ColourLab at Adelphi.

Try KT near Chinatown Point and Beautiful Memories. So far both have not disappointed me. BM is expensive even for bulk prints but he does make sure all of your pictures come out well.

How about FotoHub? I have sent 6X6 prints to them that have come out perfectly, borders included. They also offer some standard panorama sizes like 4X8, 6X12 etc.

alastdin said:
Have you tried printing out a panorama digitally with a lab that came out right for you?

Nope, didn't try it. I saw it offered by major "online" fotofinishers in the US, but didn't feel too confident about trying them out (I'm more comfortable dealing face to face). I think some of the local labs could gain a competitive edge by offering flexible sizes; maybe they just didn't think of it?`

alastdin said:
Tell me how difficult it is. I'll appreciate any comment from an obvious expert like yourself.

Mi ain't no expert. But I do cropping to the feel of a photo and not based on what the lab can/cannot print.

Just as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.