DIP, CERTS,DEGREE in Photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timber83 said:
I'm in the same kind of situation right now, really at the crossroads of whether to pursue my dreams of becoming a photographer or continue with my education in a local university.

I was from multimedia course back in poly, am now in a computing course which has no relevance with my diploma. More or less I've been encouraged by people to take the computing course on, and I'm suffering bad now. It's not something I would want to study. My biggest interest is in photography, I've worked in the media line, also as photographer assistant, and it's really what I want.:cool: But when I tell people my decision, they say I'm mad.:cry:

Is it really wrong to come out of a course not your choice to pursue photography? :dunno: I'm really at a lost. Read previous posts, a commercial photographer whom I want to work for also told me same thing, says photography is better off as a hobby, and that working as one is hard life.

Sigh....

so i guess you have not spoken to a computer (IT) professional yet? its Harder life, especially if it is not your cup of tea.

In case you decide to quit your computer course, you have to decide if you need money badly (example to pay off some loans, to support family). After all, it may be true that an IT profession ought to get you a higher pay initially for quite a while.

Best of all. Your job is your hobby.... but must face the real world. It is very cruel out there as in everything you do there is always someone to compete even Bill Gates faces the same problem. You fight for bus, fight MRT, fight to get the better car, fight to gt your girlfriend and dump her after you had succeeded and so on....So a dream is always a dream until the dream comes true.. but it is alright to dream...

Yappy said:
Best of all. Your job is your hobby.... but must face the real world. It is very cruel out there as in everything you do there is always someone to compete even Bill Gates faces the same problem. You fight for bus, fight MRT, fight to get the better car, fight to gt your girlfriend and dump her after you had succeeded and so on....So a dream is always a dream until the dream comes true.. but it is alright to dream...

RISK and RETURN is proportional. Hoever HOBBY is inversely proportional to RETURN. Strictly speaking the relationship should be negatiive ... meaning you spend money on hobby.

Most paid photography shoot what customer wants ...some even contradict with their definition of beauty. I think this job is similar to graphic designer where the desginer might design something that a customer think is beautiful.

Earn more money? Do something most ppl don't believe in or hate to do or scared to do or ...

Nah, I never want to be an IT professional. definately not my cup of tea. Even if I managed to SCRAPE through uni, it will just be a degree. If I have the money, I would go overseas to study photography related course.

Thanks for everyone's comment

Status
Not open for further replies.